SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

View Poll Results: Do YOu Like Your Job?
Yes, I really enjoy what I do. 24 42.86%
It Pays The Bills So Its Ok. 16 28.57%
It kinda sucks, but Im used to it. 5 8.93%
#$%@@!!! ##@#$#!!!!! My Job... 11 19.64%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-07-2004, 06:16 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

My typical day is not typical ever. It is always different. My “title” is Engineering Manager but that falls short of all the things I do. Lately I have been directing the selection of machine tools for the shop. This is for a new machine we bought that machines a part. I have never done that before.
A more normal day is making sketches for the draftsman, selecting parts for a material list, establishing test conditions for the final product, writing test reports, helping the shop correct machining errors or problems with castings, talking with welder about repairs because the part leaked on hydro test, thanking him for inviting me to water skiing this past weekend, it was great, preparing drawing submittals, working drawings, cooking my lunch in the micro-wave, final drawings, instruction books, reviewing customer specifications, cleaning the sink, final assembly check off, receiving inspection problems, you know where the wrong thing came in, discussing the beer at the local micro-brewery with the receiver, Taking customers out to lunch, solving field problems, design changes, learning how to communicate with people that speak Spanish, Korean, Japanese, Portuguese, driving the SVX 123 miles a day, discussing auto repair projects with another engineer, wage reviews, service engineer support, new designs, sales support, checking drawings, approving drawings, glass beading my SVX wheels in the glass bead cabinet, inspecting SVX parts, making coffee, making plans that never happen, being under staffed. It's a great job.
Old 09-07-2004, 06:47 PM
Some Toolbox rolled it!

Send a message via Yahoo to Imprezzed
For me, it depends what watch I'm on.
At sea, I wake up at 6:30, but usually doze till 7.
I get up, dressed, eat breakfast and am usually on the radar set by about 7:30.
I stay there until 12:30, eat lunch, Clean for a bit, then grab a snooze until 5:30. I doze until 6, eat supper, and back on watch at 6:30. And there I am until 12:30 am. I grab something to eat, and am usually back in my rack by quarter after 1. Then it starts all over again.

Alongside, it's no big deal. Show up at 7, work until 12, half hour off, then work until 3, and go home.

I love the Navy.

Last edited by Imprezzed; 09-02-2006 at 01:40 AM.
Old 09-07-2004, 07:11 PM
no limitation as limitation

im a PI for the maryland recovery beuro. i make 50% comission on all cars i repo. its sucks geting shot at.
Old 09-07-2004, 07:17 PM
no limitation as limitation

you know that movie office space. thats what i want my job to be like. me samire and mikel bolton hanging out at the water cooler. and i bet they get health insurence too.
Old 09-07-2004, 07:24 PM
Fighting with electricity

Send a message via AIM to SVX10 Send a message via Yahoo to SVX10
I'm a vehicle evaluation co-op (planning to be full time before the end of this week) engineer at the Nissan proving grounds...I really have no room to complain

Typical day: My job is based on making sure Nissan vehicles are as good as other vehicles. I may start the day creating an excel spreadsheet of competitor specs (yawn) and end the day doing a headlight performance evaluation after the sun goes down. It's pretty varied, so I like that, but I admit that a majority of the time is spent in Excel comparing Nissan data/characteristics with competitors to see who's doing better, or who will soon be doing best. But, the days when we do handling and acceleration evaluations make up for all of it!!

-Mat
92 SVX LS-L - Ebony Pearl - 2002 WRX 5MT trans w/STi gearset (rebuilt & installed myself ) - BMW E46 HID retrofit - Kenwood Headunit - Phoenix Gold 75x4 RMS amp - Alpine Type R 6.5" front components - Alpine Type R 6x9 3way rear speakers - 18"x9" Rota G-Force wheels w/225/40ZR18 Toyo T1R's - Mychailo's custom springs - Urethane front & rear sway bar bushings - KC exhaust (2.5" dual magnaflow) - Escaine seat swap - Removed Spoiler

I don't care if Subaru says it's STI...it will always be STi to me

Last edited by SVX10; 09-07-2004 at 07:29 PM.
Old 09-07-2004, 07:44 PM
Good morning!

Send a message via AIM to NapaBavarian Send a message via Yahoo to NapaBavarian
I chase hot air balloons...as a crew, be there with the vehicle when they land, $50 a day, usually 5 hours of driving arround or siting and waiting- the worst part is getting up early, 3:30 AM in the summer, as late as 5:00 in winter, but it's only arround 8 days a month. To pay bills I take care of peoples yards and have a pressure washer to clean various things. If I worked at that full time I'd make more than my dad, and he's been an engineer for 35 years, plus I work for myself, so if I don't like a customer then I can avoid working for them the best part about my job is the fact that if I dont like what my bos does then he ALWAYS changes to what I want (self employed).

I hope to be a high end landscape and nature photographer in a few years, but I'd like to build a few rental houses first...
Return of the Pissed Platypus! X2
My dream (other than a pearlie)
1.8 SVXi and a laguna blue spoiler...somewhere
I decided to quit drinking, but I didn't like it so I quit not drinking.
Old 09-07-2004, 07:53 PM
XSVX Owner

Send a message via AIM to Ryan
Quote:
Originally posted by tancred
Computer work has really gone down hill market wise, we used to be worth a lot more, now im only worth a ****ty 18/hr...but I get my revenge on the economy by putting in 13-18 hours overtime.....

Not too ****ty for a 19 year old kid, 19 as of today, wasnt too bad for a 18 year old kid....with no degree...and bad manners..

I need a raise
Old 09-07-2004, 08:05 PM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Chiketkd

I used to recruit for people in the Engineering industry when I lived in the greater DC area. Good CAD draftsmen were always in high demand. Especially if they had Microstation 3-D which was the software that the Government purchased and the engineering firms were using on the re-construction of the Pentagon...

You have a cool job Huck, and I agree with you, CAD people rarely get paid what they're worth. Is your CAD manager at least a nice person?

-Chike

P.S. Kinda how you'd like to own your own bike dealership, I'd love to have my own performance tuning shop. Kinda like what Shiv Patak does for the EVO's and STI's (Vishnu Performance).

I AM my CAD manager...I'm the whole design department The owner/boss has final say, but all the design work and drawing is up to me....

I need a raise too

Maybe I'll win the Lotto, and start my dealership
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 09-07-2004, 08:15 PM
Fighting with electricity

Send a message via AIM to SVX10 Send a message via Yahoo to SVX10
Quote:
Originally posted by NapaBavarian
I chase hot air balloons...as a crew, be there with the vehicle when they land, $50 a day, usually 5 hours of driving arround or siting and waiting- the worst part is getting up early, 3:30 AM in the summer, as late as 5:00 in winter, but it's only arround 8 days a month.
You gonna be at the Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta, by any chance?
92 SVX LS-L - Ebony Pearl - 2002 WRX 5MT trans w/STi gearset (rebuilt & installed myself ) - BMW E46 HID retrofit - Kenwood Headunit - Phoenix Gold 75x4 RMS amp - Alpine Type R 6.5" front components - Alpine Type R 6x9 3way rear speakers - 18"x9" Rota G-Force wheels w/225/40ZR18 Toyo T1R's - Mychailo's custom springs - Urethane front & rear sway bar bushings - KC exhaust (2.5" dual magnaflow) - Escaine seat swap - Removed Spoiler

I don't care if Subaru says it's STI...it will always be STi to me
Old 09-07-2004, 08:29 PM
SVinX

I work for a building components company less than 10 minutes from where I live (which rocks when I see everybody else hitting the on-ramp to the highway). I do work until lunch when it runs out, then I make lists (an anal retentive habit), email friends, or shoot rubberbands and the bird at the dude across the room.
Old 09-07-2004, 08:49 PM
SVX Appeal

I used to be a professional computer geek too. I kept the network alive - mostly remote workstation management. I worked as a contractor for the federal government until Evil Data Services took over with the Naval Marine Corp Intranet contract. (Your tax dollars at waste...er...work.) They replaced me with two employees who made half as much, were twice my age, and knew absolutely nothing. Suckers... That pissed a lot of people off when they canned me too - myself included. Turns out it was a good thing for me, but it put a dark cloud over the people I supported.

Anyway, now I set up offices - furniture and the like. I make more, have great bosses, killer benefits, and get to do a huge variety of different things - pretty much autonomously. I also get to mingle with all the thriving businesses and the folks in charge of them. Lots of side work from that.
Old 09-07-2004, 09:19 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Wake at 6:30(Ive slept, maybe 4 hours, had non stop violent nightmares), cook brakefast for the boys, get a hug, each, this is the best part of my day. If they catch the bus, catch one more rem. Go to work, 9:00, though technicaly literate, the troglodites that I have to work with, have no freeking clue. They have a VERY limited work ethic, talk, complain, bi+ch, slack, suck up the hourly wage. Work a scheduled 6 day week, never a lunch, 3 days off in 2+ years job. This is a much better job than when I was on fire once a week AT M.BERGER, SOUTH SIDE PGH!! . And I get to deal with" the common man, the salt of the earth, you know,.... morons"
" Hey, I bought this car in 78, and it's been great, but after the chili contest, on the way home there was this HORRABLE SMELL, I think the, like katillyck conversion is going bad, is this still under warranty, cause, like I no people and I can ruin you,you,you, icehole!!!
Old 09-07-2004, 10:00 PM
Member #447

Send a message via MSN to Uncamitzi Send a message via Yahoo to Uncamitzi Send a message via Skype™ to Uncamitzi
Registered SVX
Another option...

Again a poll that doesn't have an answer that I can choose..

How about

I love what I do.... I just need to do it somewhere else........I feel a story coming on......
92 Teal SVX LS-L 128K tranny swap with 4.11's
Well.. my days of not taking you seriously have certainly come to a middle .
Old 09-07-2004, 10:29 PM
Sue isn't really striped

Quote:
Originally posted by Uncamitzi

I feel a story coming on......

Yet you don't tell it?
Old 09-07-2004, 11:19 PM
Good morning!

Send a message via AIM to NapaBavarian Send a message via Yahoo to NapaBavarian
Quote:
Originally posted by SVX10

You gonna be at the Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta, by any chance?

I can't see that happening, I know many people that have been going for 30 years and they said it's become a zoo, and I shouldn't bother... Besides, I'm a full time student right now, so a week off isn't going to happen right now, I might go on a 2 week road trip in janusry.
Return of the Pissed Platypus! X2
My dream (other than a pearlie)
1.8 SVXi and a laguna blue spoiler...somewhere
I decided to quit drinking, but I didn't like it so I quit not drinking.