How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 11-30-2001, 12:30 AM
SVX Black Belt Master

OT - virus

I thought I was a goner. There's some nasty stuff out there tonight. Make sure you update your virus files before you go out.
Norton kept telling me I had all their products when I'd try to update. I believed them. It was some kind of glitch in the system - I didn't.
Got a nasty worm last night and may have passed it on to some unsuspecting poor souls in Cyberville. If so - sorry. Got a removal file from Symantec's website which worked like a charm.
So I'm up-to-date now, but not before deleting everyone out of my address book. I didn't want to burn others while I sat around burning.

Be careful out there.

Steve
'02 Black Sapphire Volvo V40, 133K - "Shadowfax"
'06 Triumph Tiger, 19K
'99 Suzuki DR350SE, 8.5K - "Geezer Killer"
<*}}}}>< ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ><{{{{*>
Old 11-30-2001, 10:14 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Thumbs up

Thanks for the warning, Steve. So far I've no problems with anyT%h9ing thAT Y8O99 hhhs ---- 33333 mmmm/////1111

987654321 **********

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 12-27-2001, 08:36 PM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via ICQ to cocacola08 Send a message via AIM to cocacola08 Send a message via Yahoo to cocacola08
Thumbs down Heads up everyone!

I received an email from:

Quote:
"Tsuji Eiichi" <_se-tsuji@violin.ocn.ne.jp>
With the subject:

Quote:
Re: Nose piece for SVX
that contained the attachments:

Quote:
PICS.DOC.scr (38k), text5.txt (0b)
the PICS.DOC.scr file contained the:

Quote:
PWS-gen.Hooker Virus
McAfee says there is no "cure" for this virus. Watch out for an email from this person. I do not recall ever sending an email to that address asking about anything, so i don't know where he woulda gotten my email addy and known that I would be interested in SVX's other than from here.

SO WATCH OUT EVERYONE!!!!!!!
Old 12-27-2001, 10:21 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Sounds like the kinda thing that makes you go to the free clinic ...

Beav
Old 12-28-2001, 03:22 AM
One teal and One yellow

Angry Re: Heads up everyone!

thanks!!! why'd they want to do that?

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 12-28-2001, 06:23 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
To All,

For about the last 8 months, I have been receiving e-mails from someone that have attachments which contain viruses. I usually average 2-3 such e-mails per month.
The e-mail topic is always something automotive. I never recognize the sender's name. In fact, he/she uses a different name every time. I think it is one of the "kids" that was on the Yahoo SVX Club site for awhile.

I am very cautious about this. So far, my systems have not been infected. I will not say what steps I take to avoid contamination because I belive this kid monitors my posts on both sites. So everyone just please be very, very careful.

Larry III
PS: I if I ever find out who this kid is, he will wind up with his mother board up his a*s and his modem down his throat. And kid, if you are monitoring this post; I know just the people to do what I said and I already have the money set aside for it.
Old 12-28-2001, 06:41 AM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via ICQ to cocacola08 Send a message via AIM to cocacola08 Send a message via Yahoo to cocacola08
Holy geez Larry,

I think i just pooped my pants, I've never seen this side of you b4
Old 12-28-2001, 08:51 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Heads up everyone!

Quote:
Originally posted by cocacola08
I received an email from:

McAfee says there is no "cure" for this virus. Watch out for an email from this person. I do not recall ever sending an email to that address asking about anything, so i don't know where he woulda gotten my email addy and known that I would be interested in SVX's other than from here.

SO WATCH OUT EVERYONE!!!!!!!
I had a similar incident with a geneology board I'm on. It had an e-mail addy I wasn't familiar with, but had information in the subject about a specific relative. When I clicked on the mail, my Norton's immediately told me that the e-mail was performing "virus-like activity" and immediately quarentined it. Yeah, we need to watch out, there are some real creeps out there. I mean, I've already deleted the file that restores long file names --- sheesh!
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 12-28-2001, 11:50 AM
Not as old as Randy

Exclamation Just because it's running...

...doesn't mean it's up to date. I have Norton AV configured to run al the time and to auto update evrything. I've found out in the past that it's a good idea to occasionally update it manually. After reading this thread this morning I remembered that I hadn't done that in a while and when all was said and done it had found three instances of Backdoor (trojan) in my system. Been there since 12/7 (must have happened while I was drinking Kamikazes... )

I guess what I'm getting at is for y'all to check for your updates manually and re-run Norton, just in case. It's been a few years since the last time I was whacked (chat room bast***) and it took about 22 hours to reload and reconfig.

Beav
Old 12-28-2001, 12:23 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Just because it's running...

Quote:
Originally posted by Beav
...doesn't mean it's up to date. I have Norton AV configured to run al the time and to auto update evrything. I've found out in the past that it's a good idea to occasionally update it manually. After reading this thread this morning I remembered that I hadn't done that in a while and when all was said and done it had found three instances of Backdoor (trojan) in my system. Been there since 12/7 (must have happened while I was drinking Kamikazes... )

I guess what I'm getting at is for y'all to check for your updates manually and re-run Norton, just in case. It's been a few years since the last time I was whacked (chat room bast***) and it took about 22 hours to reload and reconfig.

Beav
Good point, Beav. Even Norton suggests when you go to update your virus sigs, even though the software says it downloaded everything, keep on clicking the update button until it says "no updates are available." I try to update once a day with all the crap going on, plus, my system automatically runs a full scan at 3 a.m. every morning.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 12-28-2001, 12:43 PM
Not as old as Randy

Quote:
Good point, Beav. Even Norton suggests when you go to update your virus sigs, even though the software says it downloaded everything, keep on clicking the update button until it says "no updates are available." I try to update once a day with all the crap going on, plus, my system automatically runs a full scan at 3 a.m. every morning.
That's kinda what I was getting at though, mine is similarly configured, it ran full scan 2 days ago but found nothing. I updated it manually instead of allowing it to look for updates itself and there were two updates that it hadn't found automatically. After they were installed is when the trojans were found. (unused, hopefully...)

Uh... I'm starting to think that maybe auto update is a feature of Norton for Win2k and maybe not Norton Win9x. It's been too long for me to remember how it worked under Win9x. Win2k version auto updates SystemWorks whenever you have it configured (each day for me.) Problem is it sometimes doesn't 'get' all updates by itself.

Then again if I had really been careful I wouldn't be normally running as Administrator, allowing things to be installed without my permission. Duh on me! I guess I got what I asked for, at least no real damage was done this time.

Beav