How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-23-2001, 09:45 AM
Canadian eh!

Question Remote starter

Has anyone installed a remote starter on his SVX?

I bought one and I'm planning to intall it this weekend....

I've installed a few ones already including one on my wife's 92 Legacy but the ignition is different on a SVX.

Where do you get the tach signal since there's no coil... or distributor? (I know the coils are on the plugs but I doubt I can use those....)

Is there someting special I should know????

Thanks
Old 11-23-2001, 09:51 AM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
You could use the ground side of any of the coils, however the remote starter has to be able to be set for only 'seeing' 1/6th of the rpm.

Beav
Old 11-23-2001, 10:12 AM
Not as old as Randy

This page should help:

http://www.bulldogsecurity.com/wires/subsvx92-93.htm
Old 11-23-2001, 10:25 AM
Canadian eh!

Thumbs up

Wow! Thanks a lot.....

This should realy help me

Joe 90
Old 11-23-2001, 05:58 PM
Not as old as Randy

No problem. I found the site when I bought one of those remote starter gizzies at Wal-Mart a couple years ago.

For those of you that have problems with your SVX remote and don't give a fig about the alarm (although those type sysytems are also available from Bulldog) these remote starter packs from WalMart/Sam's work great and they're only $40 or $50. They give you remote start, keyless entry and a third channel that could be used for trunk release (with an electric release solenioid available from Bulldog for about $19) or use it to roll the windows up, etc.

I love having the car warm in winter and cool in summer before I get in. And it's a heckuva lot cheaper than replacing the alarm module. Takes a couple hours to install.

Beav
Old 11-24-2001, 02:10 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Stevebsy Send a message via Yahoo to Stevebsy
Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
I bought one of those about 2 yrs ago (for a car no longer with us actually..) and it's been sitting on the shelf that long...thanks for reminding me about it

So there is no good way to interface it to the SVX alarm system I'm guessing? It would be nice to have tho...:|

Do you just turn off the factory security system when you are using the remote starter feature?

Hmm how about this? Hook the third channel to the solenoid, and then rig up the solenoid to push the button on an SVX key fob in the trunk somewhere. Would it work Beav?

Quote:
Originally posted by Beav
No problem. I found the site when I bought one of those remote starter gizzies at Wal-Mart a couple years ago.

For those of you that have problems with your SVX remote and don't give a fig about the alarm (although those type sysytems are also available from Bulldog) these remote starter packs from WalMart/Sam's work great and they're only $40 or $50. They give you remote start, keyless entry and a third channel that could be used for trunk release (with an electric release solenioid available from Bulldog for about $19) or use it to roll the windows up, etc.

I love having the car warm in winter and cool in summer before I get in. And it's a heckuva lot cheaper than replacing the alarm module. Takes a couple hours to install.

Beav

Custom Oil Caps, Battery Bars, Phenolic Spacers for sale here:
http://www.x35design.com
Old 11-24-2001, 06:56 PM
Not as old as Randy

You could do a little more research at the Bulldog site and see if there is anything possible with their products. The solenoid pressing the OEM fob is a little out there, but I've seen people do funnier things...

Beav
Old 12-03-2001, 10:22 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to jscorse
Problems with mine

I bought mine with a remote starter already installed. Worked great for about a year. Now it seems that the tach senor ? is not working. The starter never disengages until the system gives up. Could it be a simple as a loose wire?

It's not a bulldog system. It's made by DEI as far as I can tell.
Old 12-03-2001, 03:42 PM
Not as old as Randy

I believe they used to maintain a website, try searching for them.

Beav
Old 12-03-2001, 06:13 PM

remote starter

Joe

I have a remote starter on my 92. It was already installed when I bought the car. If you need to check it out I'm in Dorval
Old 12-03-2001, 07:51 PM
Canadian eh!

Thanks Starship....

But I already installed it last week-end and it's working fine.

You're in Dorval?! Are you the black one with headlights covers?

If yes, I think you passed me a few months ago going to the Champlain bridge....

I see that you're into air transportation.... So do I! Well I work for (almost) the only airline still operating around here
Old 12-04-2001, 10:18 AM

No headlight covers on mine Joe. As if the stock headlights aren't dim enough already. It's a black 92. I just had another engine put in for 1400.00 and will be rebuilding the old one over the winter. Stop by sometime our office is over on Lajoie in Dorval.
Old 12-11-2001, 02:48 PM
craigk

K Mart

I bought mine from K Mart. It's worked fine and the security system works also. The only problem was figuring out which wires under the dash to splice into. The web site for mine gave the wire colors and a location, sort of. It took some diagnostics to narrow it down. Been working fine though.
Old 12-11-2001, 03:01 PM
craigk

web site

I bought a Design Tech one. www.designtech-intl.com

They had a wiring diagram on the web site.
Old 12-24-2005, 08:47 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to rayford
I am having a problem with my remote starter, I have been in contact with the company that made it and they can't seem to shed any light on this problem,, which is. . some of the time it will start fine and then for several tries all it does is click the solenoid but it always starts using the key so I am sure it isn't the starter or solenoid, I had a different remote starter on this car before this one and it did the same thing, I had one like the first one on my Lebaron and it never failed. I have checked all my connections on the remote module and relays I even took the shield off from around the ignition switch and soldered the starter wire from the remote ralay to the ignition wire near the ignition switch , thinking maybe the clip on terminals weren't making good connection, I have been reading in some of the posts on here of some kind of a relay or module that has to do with the security system and was wondering if that would be causing my problem? Since two entirely different remote start units does the same thing I feel it has something to do with the car's starter system. if the security thing is the problem and if I can dissconnect that, I wouldn't mind that at all because that thing is more of a pest than anything, when I unhook and the reconnect a battery cable and shut the hood that thing starts blowing the horn and since no one ever pays any attention to those things going off anyway, I don't need it. Anyway, if anyone has any ideas I would love to hear them , I love the ability to sit in the house on a cold morning and have the car start and be ready to go when I am........Thank Vernon.. Oh the car is a 92...