SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 07-02-2004, 12:19 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by benebob
...I'm guessing that they are as much of a threat pesonally as the 3000+ actors blacklisted and ruined by OUR goverment during the 'red scare' of the 1950s.
You're not overreacting in the least.

Quote:
Originally posted by benebob
Oh yeah, if you think that street racing is wrong my ONLY question to you is did you speed today.
You're comparing apples to oranges.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE

Last edited by Mr. Pockets; 07-02-2004 at 12:32 AM.
Old 07-02-2004, 12:56 AM

Registered SVX
Statutes vs law

Interesting thread,

On the Main street of Sutter Creek, a two hour parking sign is posted. It's a small town, and it is infrequent that a local officer has the time to mark and ticket cars. Well, occasionally they find time, and occasionally I receive a parking ticket. Did I break the law? Absolutely not!! I violated a statute and for violating the statute I can pay the fine. An address is given and the fee is mailed in. Violation=fine. The fine is the amount you pay to park longer than the posted time. No one found me guilty, I'm guilty of nothing. I damaged no person or anyone's property. Statutes are NOT positive law. NO LAW WAS BROKEN!

Not all statutes even need to be enforced. Anyone ever travel over the posted limit or roll through a stop and receive only a warning? Why? No law was broken. It is up to the discretion of the 'corporate protector'. So if you want to violate a statute there is a price. My windows are tinted. In California there is a statue against any film on the window. If sighted, I'll correct it, then tint them again. I'm willing to pay the 'tint your window' surcharge. I just admitted to violating a statue. Have I broken the law? No.

Has anyone ever driven across Nevada at the posted speed limit? Most prefer to drive at a comfortable safe speed for their vehicle and pay the toll if called on it. Time is money, going fast may cost a few bucks. I had a guy go by me on the freeway one day, he must have been fifteen miles faster than I was. His tires were bald. Two miles later, I saw him spun off the freeway. He had passengers! Stupid, yes. Could have hurt someone, definately. Lucky, maybe this time, but what about the next time?

Speed is not dangerous per sey, people are dangerous and stupid. If a drunk crosses the line, I'm going to cross the double yellow, drive on the shoulder, go 'too' fast, go 'too' slow, go sideways, any ways to avoid it. Even if it violates a statute. I have the right to protect myself, even if it means traveling 120 mph to get out of someone's way.

In a free society, one must take responsibility for their action. If you do something stupid, dangerous etc. and damage someone or their property, that is serious. That is against the law and any such occurance should be dealt with accordingly. It seems that when someone does violate someone or their property, they do not pay restitution to the damaged party, but to some agency or court coffer.

I don't street race because it is foolish. But to equate driving at a speed over the posted limit, getting a parking ticket, tinting windows, etc. is not quite the same thing as street racing. In the middle of nowhere, you may harm yourself, that is the risk taken, but a risk taken every morning you leave the house. Everyone has a brain, some know when and how to use it.

So what someone posts a pic of their speedo reading 140. Maybe they were safe, maybe they were stupid. If they passed bunches of cars going 70 and I caught them, I'd lock them up for stupidity to protect the rest of us. If it was in the middle of nowhere, I could care less.

This is America. Thank God those Revolutionaries broke King George's Law. Crucify them first. Only then should one move against the rest of us Rebels.
Old 07-02-2004, 01:23 AM

Registered SVX
Re: Statutes vs law

Quote:
Originally posted by NeedForSpeed
This is America. Thank God those Revolutionaries broke King George's Law. Crucify them first. Only then should one move against the rest of us Rebels.
By all means, be a rebel. Go break some laws. Violate some statutes. Race between the stoplights.

Dare I say it - tear that tag right off your mattress.

None of you seem to be able to make the following distinction: the administrators of this site don't want to tell you what you can and can't do behind the wheel. But as an organized group, you have to understand that we can't condone these activities and we won't. To do so would be irresponsible for any number of reasons.

Try to understand the position we're in, here. Please.

Plus, as Lwin said, this isn't public. It's a privately-owned server and those are the rules. I'm sorry, but if you don't like not being able to post about street racing, then by all means take it elsewhere. All of us - the moderators and administrators - agreed unanimously that street racing is not going to be condoned by this site. It's illegal, it's dangerous and it doesn't reflect well on the group.

So, take it or leave it. That's really all there is to it.

Personally, I hope nobody leaves. This is a fantastic group of people.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE

Last edited by Mr. Pockets; 07-02-2004 at 01:48 AM.
Old 07-02-2004, 02:15 AM
Sue isn't really striped

Quote:
Violate some statutes.
I have no idea why I read that as "statues".
Old 07-02-2004, 02:17 AM

Registered SVX
Re: Re: Statutes vs law

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

By all means, be a rebel. Go break some laws. Violate some statutes. Race between the stoplights.

None of you seem to be able to make the following distinction: the administrators of this site don't want to tell you what you can and can't do behind the wheel. But as an organized group, you have to understand that we can't condone these activities and we won't. To do so would be irresponsible for any number of reasons.

Plus, as Lwin said, this isn't public. It's a privately-owned server and those are the rules. I'm sorry, but if you don't like not being able to post about street racing, then by all means take it elsewhere. All of us - the moderators and administrators - agreed unanimously that street racing is not going to be condoned by this site. It's illegal, it's dangerous and it doesn't reflect well on the group.

I understand completely. I have no issue with your comments or position. I certainly won't be posting anything about street racing, never intended to, never said I wanted to nor was I supporting anyone that would, so don't quote, and then throw that at me.

I guess you didn't quite get my point at all. The point is that I understand this is private, and to trespass or damage someone's person or property is not right, it is a serious matter as I clearly mentioned. I actually supported your position. I don't know who the 'none of you' are that you refer to, but it is not I.

The other point that I made is that violating a statute, unknowingly or willing, is not a crime, not a criminal action. I object to being criminalized as such. I am not a criminal, or a lawbreaker. Speaking of Rebels, since you quoted and commented on such, I would bet that those patriotic Americans did not consider themselves lawbreakers either. Just not buying the 'lawbreaker' label as applied to statutes. My comments had nothing to do with advocating street racing threads.

Further, I just want to make one other thing completely clear. I am definately afraid to tear the tag off my mattress!

Lighten up, I think they got it.
Old 07-02-2004, 02:28 AM
deruvian

Thumbs up Good show

Well said Ron, well said.
Old 07-02-2004, 07:57 AM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

Well I think what BigBlueSvx said before was a decent idea. Take off the ban on street racing posts and put a disclaimer on it. That way people can say whatever they want but at the same time you could say how its wrong and you dont condone it. Kill two birds with one stone. i do understand that this is privatley owned, however we are all in this network and should have some sort of say in what goes on or at least suggestions. I enjoyed reading the street racing posts like everyone else because most of the time they were amusing and i got a kick out of it. Not because they made me want to jump in the SVX and go civic hunting. And comparing street racing to regular speeding isnt apples and oranges. The concept is the same, you are speeding and are putting peoples lives in danger the same way. Thats why there is a speed limit. Its not a suggestion....it's the law. So point blank if you speed you are breaking the law. If you street race you are breaking the law as well. Like I said before...I have seen pictures in peoples lockers of them doing over 100 MPH. No one ever says anything about that.

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 07-02-2004, 08:21 AM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Quote:
Originally posted by Shadow248

That is the kind of attitude that if taken up collectively, will turn this site from a very useful thriving community to a ghost town.

You don't really want everyone to take your advice, trust me.

It already is begining to look like a ghost town. We have so much information here and Chris and a decent amount of members here have put a lot of time and money to keep this running. Where are the regular members that were once here and post on daily basis? Where is Randy? How about Larry, Vivian.... etc. The list goes on. I have not invited anyone to the site for about a year now and seriousely thinking this is a lost cause.

I still stand by my statement. If you really want to talk about street racing, feel free to start your own forum. Most places will host a site for around 35 bucks a month with a forum and emails and such.

Most of you don't even know how this forum is operated and without the actual knowledge of costs, takes things for granted since the forum is free. Boys and girls, there is no such thing as a free ride. You always have to do something for it. And on this free site, there are rules. Follow them.
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 07-02-2004, 08:22 AM
Network Design Administrator

Re: Re: Statutes vs law

Quote:

All I have to say is...

Be careful what you wish for, you and LWIN both...

Before you go jumping to conclusions, no thats NOT a threat, just an observation.
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)
-2011 Toyota Sienna SE, Black, 30,000+ Miles (Swagger Wagon )
-2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 26,000+ Miles (Daily Driver )
SVX Owner from February 1997 to March 2008
SVX Online Community Member since February 1998
SVX World Network Member since February 2002, Member #520

Life is a game. Play to win.
The world belongs to those who can laugh at it.
Old 07-02-2004, 08:25 AM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Quote:
Originally posted by Alycone

I have no idea why I read that as "statues".

Cause you've been talking to me for a while and my gutter mind is rubbing off on ya.
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 07-02-2004, 08:51 AM
Phil & Belha

Quote:
This is America.
Quote:
Originally posted by Seraph
This is America.
Quote:
Originally posted by NeedForSpeed
This is America.
I was under the impression that this is the SVX WORLD Network, not the SVX AMERICA Network.

Last edited by b3lha; 07-02-2004 at 08:59 AM.
Old 07-02-2004, 09:56 AM
Yeah, I'm still around

Quote:
This is America. Just because you don't agree with what someone says, or EVEN IF THE GOVERNMENT doesn't agree with what you say, that doesn't give you or them the right to shut that person up. You may state all the justification you want, but the fact is, this is one of the principles this country was built on.

I've noticed things around here getting progressively worse. First, censorship of words that "offend" certain people. Then the banning of members who "offend" certain people. Now we are outright being told what we can and cannot talk about. Soon the definition of street racing will be called into question and then all threads pertaining to movement on the street in the proximity of another vehicle will have to be locked. You all see where this is going?

Shadow, I'll agree things were getting worse around here. Arguements were the norm in threads instead of civil discussions. Flame wars were happening continuously. The one moderator the site had since it's inception finally gave up due to spending too much time here deleting, editing, dare I say censoring others posts. Plain and simple got fed up and left. Mike and Earl came in to replace him, but things still were too much to handle at times and then the rest of us were added which resulted in more visible presence and action being taken. With the rules in place, it is now clear when something needs to edited or deleted. We, the admins and the mods, hope to return some measure of mutual respect and courtesy to the site. None of us want this place to turn in to a free-for-all, anything goes type of forum. That wasn't the intention when the site was developed. If it turns in to that, many more members will leave and I think the loss to the community will be hard to recover from.

So yes, we all did see where this was going and we would like to stop it from progressing much further down that path.

Todd
Old 07-02-2004, 10:05 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by b3lha

I was under the impression that this is the SVX WORLD Network, not the SVX AMERICA Network.
Thank you for the reminder, Phil.

Either way, the arguments that 'this is America' don't really hold any water anyway. Who ever thought this site was a democracy?

Granted, we want more than anything else to serve the SVX community with this site, but it's just not a democracy, folks. The fact that the site is hosted in America is of little consequence.

Now, I hope nobody flies off the handle and starts yelling about how we're all power hungry and want to control everything. I'm just telling it like it is.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 07-02-2004, 10:39 AM
Network Design Administrator

Quote:
Now, I hope nobody flies off the handle and starts yelling about how we're all power hungry and want to control everything. I'm just telling it like it is.
Noone needs to fly off the handle...

you said it yourself
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)
-2011 Toyota Sienna SE, Black, 30,000+ Miles (Swagger Wagon )
-2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 26,000+ Miles (Daily Driver )
SVX Owner from February 1997 to March 2008
SVX Online Community Member since February 1998
SVX World Network Member since February 2002, Member #520

Life is a game. Play to win.
The world belongs to those who can laugh at it.
Old 07-02-2004, 10:41 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by RSVX

Noone needs to fly off the handle...

you said it yourself
Oh, snap.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE