SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2004, 01:51 PM
THE MEMBER

Send a message via AIM to marlettpat Send a message via Yahoo to marlettpat
why?

i dont understand why we cant share racing stories...? i enjoy reading them as do some other fellow svxers. most of us are responsible enough not to do this anyways........fill me in on why this is illegal......doesnt one bit of sense to me
Old 07-01-2004, 02:22 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Nobody said you couldn't share racing stories - we said you couldn't share street racing stories. Plenty of people here post about drag racing (at an actual strip) and autocrossing and we have absolutely no problem with that.

Our reasons for enacting the ban are the following:

1. Street racing is illegal. Simple as that. Whether you're over the posted speed limit or not, it's illegal. We do not want to condone illegal activity on this site. I'm not going to quote motor vehicle code for your state. Go look it up if you want - there are any number of things you'll get busted for if you're caught street racing. That's mostly because of the following:

2. Street racing is dangerous. Again, very simple. Whether you think you have total control over the situation or not isn't the point. You don't. There are innocent people (and their property) involved and that's just not cool. Activities and events that take place in more controlled situations (drag racing on a strip, autocrossing as examples) don't include this factor. Everybody there is a willing participant.

That's not to say we won't allow threads about anything dangerous. Post all you want about bungie jumping or whitewater rafting.

3. Street racing threads have an uncanny knack for turning ugly.

4. We followed the example of NASIOC, which also has an outright ban on street racing threads. That site is much larger and the adminstrators have much more experience than we do, so we deferred to that experience.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE

Last edited by Mr. Pockets; 07-01-2004 at 03:03 PM.
Old 07-01-2004, 03:34 PM
THE MEMBER

Send a message via AIM to marlettpat Send a message via Yahoo to marlettpat
Old 07-01-2004, 03:40 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by marlettpat
I'm so happy I could clarify it for you.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 07-01-2004, 05:37 PM
Good morning!

Send a message via AIM to NapaBavarian Send a message via Yahoo to NapaBavarian
Problems with street racing...

1)last summer a mustang tried racing me, I had the cruise set at about 90 and they didn't like being passed, they came flying up behind me and were about a car legnth behind me when I was run off the road by an 18 wheeler, I needed to slam on the brakes but couldn't because of their proximity so I went arround on the shoulder, they tried to do the same but didn't know how to drive and lost controll going into spins...

2)While driving down a windy local road in my 1977 f250 I came upon an SHO traveling slowly, they sped up to my prior speed as did I, but then they failed to execute a turn and almost crashed, I was traveling at a moderate speed for me in a less capable vehicle, but they almost had the accident.

3)this 17 year old girl across the street got a brand new RSX last summer and let her sister drive it, they lost controll at such a high speed that the car went into a drift and came off the ground flying about 30 feet and hit a tree directly over her head, either the driver side or passanger side was parallel to the ground, she didn't make it.

many street racers aren't that bright and don't bother learning car controll, tracks require training and are designed for safty. Adrenelin is also a problem, often street racers have something to prove and lack self controll, you never know who you are up against, even ignoring the law street racing isn't smart and endangers people who aren't interested in participating and taking that risk. By sharing stories it inspires people who wouldn't normally chose to race to go for it.

Any questions?
Return of the Pissed Platypus! X2
My dream (other than a pearlie)
1.8 SVXi and a laguna blue spoiler...somewhere
I decided to quit drinking, but I didn't like it so I quit not drinking.
Old 07-01-2004, 07:58 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets
Nobody said you couldn't share racing stories - we said you couldn't share street racing stories. Plenty of people here post about drag racing (at an actual strip) and autocrossing and we have absolutely no problem with that.

Our reasons for enacting the ban are the following:

1. Street racing is illegal. Simple as that. Whether you're over the posted speed limit or not, it's illegal. We do not want to condone illegal activity on this site. I'm not going to quote motor vehicle code for your state. Go look it up if you want - there are any number of things you'll get busted for if you're caught street racing. That's mostly because of the following:

2. Street racing is dangerous. Again, very simple. Whether you think you have total control over the situation or not isn't the point. You don't. There are innocent people (and their property) involved and that's just not cool. Activities and events that take place in more controlled situations (drag racing on a strip, autocrossing as examples) don't include this factor. Everybody there is a willing participant.

That's not to say we won't allow threads about anything dangerous. Post all you want about bungie jumping or whitewater rafting.

3. Street racing threads have an uncanny knack for turning ugly.

4. We followed the example of NASIOC, which also has an outright ban on street racing threads. That site is much larger and the adminstrators have much more experience than we do, so we deferred to that experience.

1. Driving OVER the speed limit IS illegal. Plenty of our members have brought up their daily commute at speeds well over the legal limit .

2.. Driving OVER the speed limit is DANGEROUS, PERIOD....

3. I'm assuming that ONLY street racing threads get UGLY! Nothing to do with Neons

4. Why the heck would I want to listen to a bunch of tools who think that Subaru JUST started making decent perfomance cars when I drive the BEST Subaru the world has ever seen!

Benjamin Franklin once said that he didn't want to live in a world that prevented a person from speaking his mind. Granted I've never hear a statement from G. W. Bush nor John F. Kerry agreeing with this principal. Just ask the 319 AMERICAN citiizens currently being held without the right to their rights simply because someone has determined that they are a threat to our national interests. I'm guessing that they are as much of a threat pesonally as the 3000+ actors blacklisted and ruined by OUR goverment during the 'red scare' of the 1950s. Oh right SORRY YOU CAN'T ASK THEM since as in the USA you don't have the right to speak to them.

I've always maintained I love EVERY single memeber of this board regardless of sex, private orientation, religious or lack of religous beliefs, political ideals, financial background, brains or writing ability BUT this is quickly changing!

I would gladly attribute money toward a true SVX club but I personally have not viewed any motion toward the legal formation of such so I've been content to feel that my contrabution is more towards the Reading meets in terms of money, time and effort!

Personally I'm quite fed up with the police state known as the SVX network. IF YOU don't like a thread WHY READ IT? If you don't like someone WHY PAY ATTENTION to them? If you're only here to talk about something other than SVXs all the time WHY ARE YOU HERE but just the same to me you are more than welcome here and as long as people pay attention to your posts feel free to post away, if not that is probably a message that you're thoughts no matter how coherent and interesting are not of interest to the site.

I try not to read street racing threads. I really don't care who someone beat on the street as I know that it has only about 10% to do with the car. That is not the issue. The issue is why must intelligent (obviously eveyone on the board is as they have an interest in SVXs) be sensored for expressing their thoughts, feelings, beliefs, actions in a non violent, non profane manner.

Oh yeah, if you think that street racing is wrong my ONLY question to you is did you speed today. Two wrongs definately don't make a right but judgement should always be left up to your maker.
Old 07-01-2004, 08:17 PM
Donate to the mod fund

Send a message via AIM to BigBlueSVX
When I first read the list of new rules, this is the main one I had an issue with. Sometimes I think moderators go a little too far and this is a case of that. Law gives us freedom of speech to say what we want. I myself do not participate in street racing, nor do I think it is a good idea. But people are going to do it no matter what. I liked reading the street racing threads, because they are usually humorous and amusing. Maybe the mods should consider taking off the ban on street racing threads, but put a disclaimer on them.

Now part of the DSM crowd: 1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
Old 07-01-2004, 08:21 PM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

You said everything ive wanted to say for a long long time. I was warned once about writing about how an acura integra wanted to race me and i said no but decided to zoom past him anyway. I am also kinda fed up with how people get warned and about how we arent able to say certain things. I mean rules are rules and i respect that but i mean cmon now this is getting ridiculous. None of the stories i read on the network about racing make me want to get out there and drive fast. If i decide to drive fast that is because I want too, not because i read a thread about it. i have seen a number of people saying how their average speed is 90 mph and how they set the cruise to that. Is that not illegal and dangerous as well? If street racing threads and posts arent aloud then no one should be allowed to list their daily speeds if it is well over the speed limit. But doing that would be absolutley absurd. I agree with benebob 100 percent. If you dont like street racing or think its stupid then dont read the post. Plain and simple end of story. In this network we are all smart enough to know right from wrong and that we should and shouldnt do certain things. If one chooses to do something stupid then so be it....they will have to learn the hardway. But remember that some of lifes most important lessons are learned the hard way. People speed, and i have seen pictures if NOS in peoples cars. I think thats illegal. I have seen pics on peoples lockers with the speedometer at 140. I dont see something about this in the rules either ( correct me if I am wrong as I tend to be wrong alot these days ) This SVX network is a great network and I have met alot of great people from it and I am searching the network all the time looking for new stuff I can learn about my car. When i search the board I only read things that interest me. If there is something I dont like or if there is something that is of non-interest then i simply ignore it. I am not going to lie....I have raced on the street before just like alot of people I know on the network have. But just keep in mind that street racing and setting the cruise at 90 is just as illegal and dangerous. I dont really think that someone reading a thread about street racing is going to want to make them go out and race. If it does then thats their own problem. This is why we were all given a conscience. We all drive fast...some of us take our cars to the track for racing. We all have fast cars...so naturally were going to want to drive fast. But as benebob said this network is becoming a police state and quite frankly its getting to me.

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 07-01-2004, 08:22 PM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

Thats a good idea bigbluesvx....i second that.

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 07-01-2004, 08:47 PM
Either committed, or should be

Send a message via ICQ to thumper_svx Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_svx
Registered SVX
How about a street racing forum? That way those who don't WANT to read it, don't have to.

Myself, as an old timer I enjoy reading these stories sometimes for the amusement (or warning) value. However, I'm sort of "past my street racing prime" IYKWIM.

If the site admins want to, maybe make a permanent sticky topic that contains a disclaimer in that forum?
Old 07-01-2004, 08:57 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

My $0.02...

I've posted a couple of street racing threads back in the day before they were banned. However, after Chris put a ban on them - I accepted it. I don't pay for the server that hosts this forum or his electric bill each month. Free speech protects your rights in the public realm...this site is privately owned.

I think the benefits of being able to share both SVX and other personal info in an atmosphere conducive to stimulating intellectual discussion, greatly outweighs any -ves from the loss of free-speech on certain issues IMHO.

-Chike (starting to feel old at 26 again... )

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)

Last edited by Chiketkd; 07-01-2004 at 08:59 PM.
Old 07-01-2004, 10:00 PM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
I agree with bob. Which is funny because he sounds exactly like a good friend of mine who is also named bob.

This is America. Just because you don't agree with what someone says, or EVEN IF THE GOVERNMENT doesn't agree with what you say, that doesn't give you or them the right to shut that person up. You may state all the justification you want, but the fact is, this is one of the principles this country was built on.

I've noticed things around here getting progressively worse. First, censorship of words that "offend" certain people. Then the banning of members who "offend" certain people. Now we are outright being told what we can and cannot talk about. Soon the definition of street racing will be called into question and then all threads pertaining to movement on the street in the proximity of another vehicle will have to be locked. You all see where this is going?
Old 07-01-2004, 10:50 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
This is America. You have the right to do a lot of things. Sure. however, this is Chris's (and svx world network's) sandbox. With such, the rules set forth by him or svx world network community supersedes any other rules or laws you can think of. If you don't like them, since we all live in America, you are all welcome to make your own forum and post as much street racing threads as you want.

If anyone finds this offensive, you are more than welcome to report this post to the moderators.

Good Day!
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 07-01-2004, 11:30 PM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
Quote:
Originally posted by Seraph
This is America. You have the right to do a lot of things. Sure. however, this is Chris's (and svx world network's) sandbox. With such, the rules set forth by him or svx world network community supersedes any other rules or laws you can think of. If you don't like them, since we all live in America, you are all welcome to make your own forum and post as much street racing threads as you want.

If anyone finds this offensive, you are more than welcome to report this post to the moderators.

Good Day!
That is the kind of attitude that if taken up collectively, will turn this site from a very useful thriving community to a ghost town.

You don't really want everyone to take your advice, trust me.
Old 07-01-2004, 11:59 PM
Good morning!

Send a message via AIM to NapaBavarian Send a message via Yahoo to NapaBavarian
Perhaps we should consider this site as we would our home, certinally free speach is important, but in our homes we all have certian attitudes that are to be left elsewhere. The rules as posted are in place to keep things civil, 8 or 10 years ago I was a member of the first generation of the FSJ list, a group of full size jeep owners, and it was similar to this. There were a few simple rules that were in place to keep people civil and avert problems before they start and it was the only other group I have found similar to tis one. There are still other sites that allow Street Racing threads, if you want to read or post them perhaps that is the place. It's not that I havn't enjoyed reading the posts, or dare I say engaging in the activity but I know better, and there are a few who will be inspired by reading the posts. I'm not pointing fingers or complaining, but I believe the rules as they are is a balanced way to guide the group.
Return of the Pissed Platypus! X2
My dream (other than a pearlie)
1.8 SVXi and a laguna blue spoiler...somewhere
I decided to quit drinking, but I didn't like it so I quit not drinking.