How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 11-05-2001, 10:06 PM
BiltRite

Tranny rebuild marketing survey

I own a small transmission shop in Chula Vista, CA, and have done several rebuilds on SVX transmissions. I believe you folks pay too much and get too little when you have your SVX transmissions rebuilt. I'm inviting your opinion of the following. Note - this is a marketing survey, not a sales offer. I want your opinions bevore starting this project!

Only S. California work - tow or limp in, drive out. Since we have to check the whole car, and the computer, we will not rebuild units shipped in. That would split responsibility between us and the R&R people, and that's not fair (to you).

So, $2,500 flat rate would buy this:
R&R
Complete rebuild
New tranny fluid cooler and external filter
Rebuilt converter
New internal filter
New braided tranny ground straps
All Subaru TSBs
RedLine fluid

Options:
Tranny fluid temp gauge +$100
CV boots (front) +$200
TransGo shift kit +$100
Rear tranny mount +$150
Existing adequate cooler -$75

Strange Warranty: 100% no questions asked for 30 days, unlimited mileage. Then, for two years or 30,000 miles, we will repair any defect or failure for a flat rate of $250 (including another rebuild!), unless the failure was caused by the customer's abuse, modification, or failure to service the unit. If one of our transmissions ever fails after that period we will rebuild it again for $2,000. These benefits are transferable to a new owner for a fee of $100.

Expectations: this Nissan-built tranny is tough to get "right," particularly when installing a shift kit. Therefore, to control expectations of perfection, we ask every customer to plan that the car will visit us for tweaking, ONCE after the rebuild.

Time: assuming reasonable notice and an advance appointment, we would promise to have the unit back on the road in four working days. If we're backed up we just won't take the car till we can keep that promise.

Exceptions: if the case/housing is blown, forget it. Otherwise, we'll do the fixed-price job even if there are bad internal hard parts.

What do you think? It'll take me some serious investment to take on this project - will it be supported by this group?

Rick at Bilt-Rite Transmissions
Personal/direct line: (619) 409-1665
Email: nanosil@aol.com

And if this post offends you, I'm sorry, but I believe the group will benefit and most will welcome it.
Old 11-05-2001, 10:28 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Rick,
Are you a member of ATRA? And, are you a consulting tech for them? The only reason I ask is because, when my tranny was being rebuilt, they had to consult a tech in CA (It was being re-built in Evansville, IN). Just curious.

From where I'm standing, yours is a very generous offer. My rebuild cost me 2,135.97 (total parts and labor). Which included my aux cooler. However, it did not include redline fluid, external filter (I'd just had mine replaced), SOA TSB's or (to my knowledge) new grounding straps. Furthermore, the work was only warranted for 6 months or 6,000 miles (whichever comes first). Of course all that was for a Legacy tranny (long story). Your price, and warranty, I think, are reasonable and are comparable to the SOA rebuilts (however warranteed for 2yr/24K full coverage), unless you're in Evansville, IN where they wanna charge you $4,600.00.

Too bad I live so far away. How close is Chula Vista to Sacremento, I have friends there I could visit.

You have my thumbs up, even though I won't be able to use your service.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 11-06-2001, 06:39 AM
Lowered SVX

i paid $2600 for just the rebuilt tranny.

that didnt include labor and all the other goodies you listed. how far is chula vista from phoenix. i will be moving there in two years. sounds like a sweet deal unfortunately i am in the same boat as randy.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 11-06-2001, 08:28 AM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via ICQ to cocacola08 Send a message via AIM to cocacola08 Send a message via Yahoo to cocacola08
Plan sounds good, I'd use it when the time comes.

Of course the +2200mi trip puts a damper on things
Old 11-06-2001, 09:59 AM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via Yahoo to svxter
I would give you a shot...

if it were possible. However, if my tranny blows, I'm afraid the cost of the tow across the country would not make it a viable option. I suppose the real question is how many potential customers there are within "tow or limp in" range of your shop. But your warranty policy certainly sounds attractive.
Red F-150 Extended Cab Long Bed - Big Boy

Even the best monkey sometimes drops his banana.