How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 10-27-2001, 09:19 PM
Vincent

Exclamation Must Have an SVX!!

Oh my god, I just discovered this car while looking to purchase a Legacy. The SVX is awesome! And, it isn't too expensive. Which is good for me, since I've just gotten my license and am looking to buy a car. Anyone got one for sale?
Old 10-27-2001, 11:44 PM
SVX Black Belt Master

Cool Vincent, Vincent, Vincent

First, welcome aboard, and we couldn't agree more.

And now for my "Your Dad" imitation:

Listen son. This here's a car that could get a young punk in lots of trouble. It's not only real fast, it's a babe magnet (or so I've been told). If you get one, just remember, you have nothing to prove. It screams 'Sexyfast'. Drive it with maturity. Lord knows, we've lost enough of them already.

On the other hand, there isn't a safer car in the world, when it's driven sanely. It rides on rails in any weather. If you need to pass - pass. No sweat. If you need to stop - it'll plaster you up against the windshield.

Oh, and one other thing. We aren't your God. You got that part wrong. But if you don't listen to your dad, you might meet Him sooner than you'd like.

Steve
'02 Black Sapphire Volvo V40, 133K - "Shadowfax"
'06 Triumph Tiger, 19K
'99 Suzuki DR350SE, 8.5K - "Geezer Killer"
<*}}}}>< ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ><{{{{*>
Old 10-28-2001, 03:07 PM
Vincent

Thanks wasions.

What do you guy's think of this one? I'm seriously considering making a bid.

Oh, and one more thing. Did the SVX ever come in a 5-speed version?

Last edited by Vincent; 10-28-2001 at 03:34 PM.
Old 10-28-2001, 04:05 PM
sith

I'm sure others will add comments but.. I'd be wary of what that car might look like in real life. Its real easy to have white paint look good in pictures, but not so hot in the metal. The fact that the wheels have been painted as well makes me wonder how much paint work has actually been done...

Also, keep in mind that it would be FWD rather than AWD, since its not an LSi. I'm also wondering what happened to whatever used to be in the DIN spot below the radio..

If you got it, figure in another $800 or so for the 60k service (unless that's what they mean by "fully serviced" - but don't assume that it is).

Anyways, those are just the things I thought of right away... I'm sure others will have more useful commentary...
Old 10-28-2001, 04:26 PM
I look like Gordon

(1) Check with your insurance company first. There seems to be some huge differences in ratings for this car between companies, and I know from reading some previous posts that some people are paying BIG money for coverage.

(2) Repair costs for this car are very high. Sometimes very very.

(3) If I had this car when I was your age, I would have lost my license. I still may if "Officer Bob" is ever in the right place at the right time. It is a car that you can drive at triple digit speeds without even realizing it.

(4) I will keep my eyes open for any promising looking "For Sale" SVXes in this general area and let you know if I see any. I would be very reluctant to purchase an SVX without seeing it in person and driving it first.
Old 10-28-2001, 05:26 PM
Vincent

Wow, thanks for the info guy's.

Sith, I was wondering the same thing. Especially about the wheels and that spot where the radio used to be. Anyone know what that mess is on the bottom of the hood?

Since it sounds like this car could be a b*tch to maintain, I'm still mainly looking at Legacy's. I'm not too keen on buying something off of Ebay anyway, but it's good for reference. Though I certainly wouldn't mind having one of these babies!
Old 10-28-2001, 06:53 PM
sith

I had a 93 legacy through high school - Its probably a better route to go. You'll appreciate having four doors and sane insurance rates, plus the AWD, and you won't have to worry about it getting dinged / molested in a high school parking lot. Mine was a great car, never gave me troubles, even on -10F wisconsin mornings. In the 3 years I had it, I never had anything go wrong, despite typical 16 year old car abuse...

The SVX is an awesome car, but I'm quite glad it wasn't my first car...
Old 10-28-2001, 08:16 PM
British Car Junky

Send a message via AIM to EveryShadeofBlue Send a message via Yahoo to EveryShadeofBlue
That Ebay car based here in Florida does look nice, but raises some suspicion. Is it me or is the paint too bright of a white, and not the beautiful pearl on original SVX's? I think the whole car was redone and it's not as flattering. Also, I don't know about the white wheels, altho I think you'll probably have an even split between those who like it and those who don't.

Someone obviously had to do some hacking on the stereo to fit an aftermarket CD player in.

Good luck on the car hunt. I would say the SVX would be a rotten choice for a first car, but so is a supposed "Econo" Dodge, which was my first nightmare. I spent tons fixing that. SVX would be cheaper! Stay away from exotics (SVX would qualify) and domestics unless you have a lot of money saved up.

Jeff
Old 10-28-2001, 08:53 PM
Green1995SVX

I agree with Jeff. The SVX isnt the best choice for a first car. I'm 19, and bought my svx as a daily car to keep miles off my show car. It seems it has done the opposite. I have an svx downstairs that only works in reverse. dont get me wrong, I LOVE the car. I would never want to get rid of it. But be ready to be without transportation, and without money every now and then. They're not the best car for someone our age. If you do decide to get an svx, dont drive like a maniac. That usually makes them last longer

-Mike
--
'95 L AWD
Old 10-28-2001, 10:12 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001
if you want it bad enough you'll get it. I have wanted a svx since I was 15 Iam 19 now and I have finally gotten one. It took four years of saving to get it. Now I have it. It is my only car and I love it. Yeah Iam a kid and really can't afford it, but you only live once. I go to school so I save on insurance by taking the car off the road 9 months out of the year. And pretty much every penny I make goes into the car anyway with performance and regular maintence. I totally knew of what I was getting into with all the high cost problems the svx has but I feel the pro's outweight the con's. I love this car, and my next car will most likely be another svx. So my advice to you is, if your as much a fanatic as I am, and alot of people on this site go for it. Just read up and learn about what you might be getting yourself into.
chris
Old 10-29-2001, 09:32 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Vincent
Wow, thanks for the info guy's.

Sith, I was wondering the same thing. Especially about the wheels and that spot where the radio used to be. Anyone know what that mess is on the bottom of the hood?

Since it sounds like this car could be a b*tch to maintain, I'm still mainly looking at Legacy's. I'm not too keen on buying something off of Ebay anyway, but it's good for reference. Though I certainly wouldn't mind having one of these babies!
This kid speaks my language.

I drove a Legacy Turbo well before I bought my SVX, and if hadn't been in a flood, I would have bought it. Really fun car.

I love my SVX, but since high school wasn't that long ago for me, I know that I would have gotten myself in big, big trouble with it. As it was, with my Toyota pickup, I got into enough trouble. I can't imagine what it would cost to insure an SVX for a new driver. Wow.

Go for a Legacy Turbo. Plenty of fun and you can haul friends in it more comfortably.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 10-29-2001, 09:34 AM
British Car Junky

Send a message via AIM to EveryShadeofBlue Send a message via Yahoo to EveryShadeofBlue
key word = TURBO

I'm willing to bet that for most insurance purposes, it'd actually be cheaper to insure an SVX than a Legacy TURBO. Throw that magical word "Turbo" in and rates usually skyrocket.

Jeff
Old 10-29-2001, 10:18 AM
Green1995SVX

Again, I agree with Jeff (wow ) The insurance on my svx is the least expensive of the five cars in my family. For what it is the insurance on our cars is very reasonable. And, keep in mind im 19 and have a *LESS-THAN-PERFECT* driving record.

-Mike
--
'95 L AWD
Old 10-29-2001, 10:42 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Green1995SVX
Again, I agree with Jeff (wow ) The insurance on my svx is the least expensive of the five cars in my family. For what it is the insurance on our cars is very reasonable. And, keep in mind im 19 and have a *LESS-THAN-PERFECT* driving record.

-Mike
--
'95 L AWD
This must depend entirely on insurance company and region. When I bought my SVX, my insurance *tripled*. I switched to a different company, but I was still paying an arm and a leg because the car fits into both 'high performance' and 'luxury' categories. They also know what the thing costs to fix.

I'm surprised to hear that some members pay very little to insure their SVXs, but I think overall a Legacy Turbo is going to cost less because it's not as fast and it doesn't cost as much to fix.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 10-29-2001, 11:02 AM
British Car Junky

Shopping around for insurance can be eye-opening. My insurance (Liberty Mutual) does not consider the SVX as a "sporty" car. It's a luxury coupe. I paid more to insure my 1985 Toyota Celica GTS than my SVX, and I didn't even have collision on the Celica!

I don't think insurance companies care about how "fast" the car is. They are more interested in words like "Turbo" and "Luxury" and so forth. That's when they nail you, especially if you're an unmarried male under 21 or 25. I live in a high-rate insurance area (Tampa) and my insurance is $1,200 a year since I turned 25. Not bad for this area. I'm almost tempted to fill out one of those Geico quotes now to see what would cost more...a 1992 SVX or a 1994 Legacy Turbo with equal coverage. Maybe we should take bets!

Jeff