Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-15-2001, 03:43 PM
SVXCH

Question Frontlights glass cleaning

Hi folks!

Finally again one question from a SVX-Driver from Switzerland . Following problem (attention "Swiss english"):

On the inside of the left frontlight-glass it has a light grey coat. It doesn't disturb much when I drive in the night, but it doesn't look good, special because the right one is clear.

I ask my Subaru dealer, if they can clean the glass from the inside. They say no chance, only possibility is to change the front light (what is very expencive). I think one way to try is to remove the bulps and try to clean the glass through this opening.

I want try to sprinkle inside special breakcleaner (MolySlip) who doesn't damage plastic (so the frontlight glass too not). Or have somebody a better idea?

Kusi
Old 10-15-2001, 07:42 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Frontlights glass cleaning

Kusi,
Glad to see you found your way back.

Yours is about the "best" idea I've seen in my two years of hearing people look for solutions to your problem. If it works, let us know. I haven't known anyone who has been successful in cleaning the "inside" of the lights. Sorry.

Quote:
Originally posted by SVXCH
Hi folks!

Finally again one question from a SVX-Driver from Switzerland . Following problem (attention "Swiss english"):

On the inside of the left frontlight-glass it has a light grey coat. It doesn't disturb much when I drive in the night, but it doesn't look good, special because the right one is clear.

I ask my Subaru dealer, if they can clean the glass from the inside. They say no chance, only possibility is to change the front light (what is very expencive). I think one way to try is to remove the bulps and try to clean the glass through this opening.

I want try to sprinkle inside special breakcleaner (MolySlip) who doesn't damage plastic (so the frontlight glass too not). Or have somebody a better idea?

Kusi
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 10-15-2001, 09:41 PM
deadeye95

Been working on it...

I have been thinking about this problem for the last several months. We need a fuzzy, flexible thing (read "big pipe cleaner") to fit into the bulb holes. Being able to rotate it some would help. I'll take a look at the HW stores and at work this week. Somewhere in my mind I remember seeing something like this.

In addition, I have attempted to seal the top of the clear area between the headlight assemblies with RTV. Now maybe this year it will not fill with water and freeze.
Old 10-16-2001, 04:30 AM
SVXCH

Hi!

How it looks i'm not the only one with this problem. My wife and I will try later to clean the glass (it's here now 12.30 pm). I hope that I can later post the solution.

Kusi
Old 10-16-2001, 06:54 AM
SVXCH

Thumbs up Like new!!!!!

Hi everybody!

Our try be a full success. The frontlights looks now like new from the factory. As I write up, I want first try with special breakcleaner.

Then I remember, that I have a special electronic cleaner in the house, also from Molyslip. This cleaner is special for electrique and electronic components (also for computermainboards etc.). I use this spray for clean all electronic components and motors from my rc-touringcar (HPI RS4 Pro2), incl. the speedcontroller.
But it's write, it cleans also very good and carefully plastic parts and glass. After use, it's disappear complet. If the surface is very dirty, it can takes a few minutes. Ok, I did so:

I took a little plastic tube and put this on the sprayhead . To have the tube better "under control", I twist around a little pipe cleaner. Then I took the bulp out. After this, I put the tube through the hole from the bulp. Then I spray carefully left, middle and right on the glass. I try to spray up, the liquid goes down self and clean the glass. Then I took the tube out and try to take away (again under help from pipecleaner) with a kitchenpaper the rest from the liquid down on the lights so good how it goes (for dry faster). Then I wait 15 min. and did sprinkle there, where it was stay coat. After all, we go shopping and drive around a few km (or in USA miles ) , so that all the rest liquid disappear complet from the "driving wind" and motor hotness.

The result is more than I ever dream. The glass is full clean, like I buy a new front light. I will now clean the right light the same way. By the way, I clean also all the front and backlights outside with this, I takes away all dirty from environmetal pollution (I think a read a post from one SVX-driver with this problem). I'm complet happy . First of all, it looks perfect, second I save minimum SFr. 700.00 (about $450) for a new frontlight.

For the moment, I don't check to put a picture in my post (somebody help me please ). I made a scan from the spray and the tube for better understanding. I will load then this picture up, when I check how to do.

I think, this will help to many SVX-Drivers. I became in the last few months min. 20 emails from Swiss and German-SVX-Drivers with the same problem. Today, when I saw this spray, I come on this idea.

Greetings to everybody

Kusi

Last edited by SVXCH; 10-16-2001 at 03:01 PM.
Old 10-16-2001, 04:43 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Kusi,
Good job! Go to your personal locker (see link at top of page). If you don't have one, you'll have to register for one.

Once you have a locker, you can click the "add files" button, or the "add folders" button.

Again, thanks for your R&D on this matter.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 10-16-2001, 05:24 PM
SVXCH

Picture Molyslip-Cleaner

Hello!

Ok, here is the picture of the Molyslip-Cleaner and the tube how I use to clean the frontlight-glass inside. Hope it works with attach the picture. Picture is also in my personal locker.

Kusi
Attached Images
File Type: jpg molyslip.jpg (12.7 KB, 168 views)

Last edited by SVXCH; 10-16-2001 at 05:26 PM.
Old 10-16-2001, 05:37 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001
where could one get this "molyslip"?
Old 10-16-2001, 09:54 PM
deadeye95

US Research

http://www.molyslip.co.uk/workshop.html

This looks to be the solvent based "electrical contact cleaner" listed last on the above web page. This what it is called and sold as in the States.

My only fear (as an anal engineer who works in the military electronics industry) is that the solvent could attack the adhesive bonding the plastics. If it comes out as easily as SXVbot maintains, its no problem and I'm game for this!
Old 10-16-2001, 10:04 PM
deadeye95

Woops

Sorry, credit due to SVXCH!!
Old 10-16-2001, 10:15 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Question

Hmmmmm... For some reason I don't have a scuzzy headlight problem, but I wonder if something like dissolved dishwasher detergent couldn't be sloshed around inside the plastic & be then flushed out with water. Just a thought for those of us who can't afford pipe cleaners. Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 10-16-2001, 10:22 PM

Registered SVX
Re: US Research

Quote:
Originally posted by deadeye95
My only fear (as an anal engineer who works in the military electronics industry) is that the solvent could attack the adhesive bonding the plastics.
And this would be a *bad* thing? We've been trying to figure out how to get these suckers apart for years. If it doesn't clean them and ands up taking them apart so they can be cleaned, edges sanded and re-glued/sealed --- all the better I say. Let us know how you come out (just in case mine ever get bad).
Subaru Ambassador

Old 10-16-2001, 10:25 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Mummert
Hmmmmm... For some reason I don't have a scuzzy headlight problem, but I wonder if something like dissolved dishwasher detergent couldn't be sloshed around inside the plastic & be then flushed out with water. Just a thought for those of us who can't afford pipe cleaners. Ron.

Ron, sounds to me like you're using *scuzzy* logic. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! (Sometimes, I kill me ) -- look out, I'm stokin' up for the weekend!!!!
Subaru Ambassador

Old 10-16-2001, 11:07 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

Ron, sounds to me like you're using *scuzzy* logic. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! (Sometimes, I kill me ) -- look out, I'm stokin' up for the weekend!!!!
Randy - It's funny that you used the phrase "I kill me". This was the name of an obscure New Jersey pop/rock group from the late' 80s, now known as The Churchills, that have had some limited success on tour throughout the USA & now Europe. As an ex-DJ, I'm SURE you know this already. The group's founder & lead singer, Ron Haney, is the son of my best old friend from high school, & was named for his semi-uncle Ron Mummert. Just ramblin'! Scuzzy drive? Sounds like trip through the Everglades during hurricane season. See you for the windfest in West Virginny. Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 10-17-2001, 01:46 AM
SVXCH

no fear

Hi everybody!

It doesn't must be only this molyslip. Most important is, that it's write, it dissapears from self and it doesn't damage plastic and glass. So a special breakcleaner would go too.

I just clean before I go on job the right front glass inside. But for take out the rest liquid easier, I took an old 10-ml-plastic-injection, put the same tube/pipecleaner on this. So I could take out faster the liquid (in hospital they take blood with this, I clean a car light . Only the little rest I try to take away with kitchenpaper.

Kusi