Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2003, 11:44 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
Re: What else were we talkin about?

Quote:
Originally posted by Subafreak
No power windows, cardboard seats, no tach, hub caps!, and it had a few little problems. The defrost sucked, the side widows wouldn't seal right, it just felt cheap, and the rear main was seeping at like 15,000 miles. Fortunatly he dumped it at 30,000 miles before the headgasket let go.

It did handle pretty good thoe.
Just so you know you can get an R/T or something with power windows, nice buckets, tach, alloys, etc. The side windows are frameless, so if someone grabs the window to shut the door, isntead of the actualy door, it will throw them out of alignment, and then you have to open up the door to realign it. It sucks. :| But yeah, they handle pretty durn good.

- Rob
Old 09-13-2003, 02:52 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
no car ive been in handles as well as an xt6..
yup.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 09-13-2003, 04:57 PM
SVX26517

Re: What else were we talkin about?

Quote:
Oh ya, My dad actually gave me his 87 GL-10 Turbo sedan when he bought a brand new 95 Dode Neon. It wasn't a bad looking car, it was a black 2door with the "cool" hub caps. But it had a lot of thing that just made it seem like a step down from the Subaru. No power windows, cardboard seats, no tach, hub caps!, and it had a few little problems. The defrost sucked, the side widows wouldn't seal right, it just felt cheap, and the rear main was seeping at like 15,000 miles. Fortunatly he dumped it at 30,000 miles before the headgasket let go.

It did handle pretty good thoe.

Yeah, neons are prone to headgasket/head probs. Its just the way they come from the factory because its a flaw in the engine design.
Old 09-13-2003, 07:30 PM
Superbeast

Re: Re: What else were we talkin about?

Quote:
Originally posted by SVX26517

Yeah, neons are prone to headgasket/head probs. Its just the way they come from the factory because its a flaw in the engine design.

Oh I know all about it, I,v had to give many customers the good news that there Neon/Strattus/Breeze needed a new headgasket. I didn't feel bad about it at all, in fact I would ussually smile to myself every time I found it. My dads was a 95 so it was just pure luck that he got rid of it be for the headgasket thing happend, no one really knew about it yet. I don't understand how something like that can happen, aren't these cars tested for a few years before they ever hit the market? Don't they beat the crap out of them to find any potential problems. I mean hell, the SVX motor was being tested in XT6's before the body was even ready, dosn't every company test vehicles this well before sending them out for the public to drive?
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 09-13-2003, 07:59 PM
SVX26517

I think MOPAR just needed to put something out or the K/P cars would have killed them
Old 09-13-2003, 08:34 PM
Superbeast

Quote:
I think MOPAR just needed to put something out or the K/P cars would have killed them

At least the head gaskets in thoes could be done in any whitetrash's driveway, the Neons suck to do.

Old 09-13-2003, 11:54 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Re: Re: What else were we talkin about?

Quote:
WRONG

This is what ****ing pisses me off. IGNORANT PEOPLE WHO THINK THEY KNOW WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT.

Look, I had a 97 Neon. The headgasket went out at 27k miles. Guess what? THEY REPLACED IT WITH AN MLS WHICH MEANS MULTI LAYERED STEEL HEAD GASKET. The problem was, the original PAPER gasket was too thin in one area, and when the aluminum head and iron block expanded and contracted at diff rates due to heat, it would fail. THE MLS GASKET SOLVED ALL OF THESE PROBLEMS, AND CAME WITH MID 1998 NEONS AND UP! HENCE! NEONS HAVE NOT HAD HEADGASKET PROBLEMS SINCE 1998! Read this paragraph, reread it again, and emblazen it into your f*cking skulls.

ACK

- Rob
Old 09-13-2003, 11:55 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Re: Re: Re: What else were we talkin about?

Quote:
I mean hell, the SVX motor was being tested in XT6's before the body was even ready, dosn't every company test vehicles this well before sending them out for the public to drive?
Yeah, and SUBARU did SUUUUUCCCHHHHH a bang up job testing the SVX's transmission, didn't they? Oh. They didn't? Oh. Well at least they got the rear wheel bearings right!! Oh. Crap. Those fail quite often too eh? Hrm. Well, at least the brakes weren't undersized and they didn't warp rotors all the time. what?

Aw crap.

- Rob
Old 09-13-2003, 11:56 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Quote:
At least the head gaskets in thoes could be done in any whitetrash's driveway, the Neons suck to do.
How so? I've helped do headgaskets in motel parking lots, they aren't really different from any other 4 banger except the engines actually have that thing called 'torque'.

- Rob
Old 09-14-2003, 12:40 AM

Registered SVX
Head Gaskets

Head gaskets have caused most auto manufacturers strife at some time or other within a certain model range. The problem is that the failure takes time in actual customer use to show up. No great expense is usually involved and the effected car can in most cases limp home and to a facility to be fixed.

Not a big deal. My favourite car, Subaru FF1, has a head gasket problem. Keep it cool guys, no need to get personal.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 09-14-2003, 07:31 AM
neon03

Thank you Chicane . I wanted to clear that up but you did a good job. I never even heard of any neon owners complain about a headgasket and I am on the Neon forums all day. Just remember no car is perfect.
Old 09-14-2003, 10:21 AM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Sorry, this is just a huge sore spot for me. Consumer reports listed the neon as "UNRELIABLE" for years, and years, and YEARS, and up until THIS year, it was unreliable. Now, they FINALLY changed it to average.

THE PROBLEM with CR is that they say "Hey, do you own a neon? Is it reliable or not?!" Nevermind which model year it is... if you have a 95 Neon, and you reported that your neon was 'unreliable' due to a headgasket problem, the 99 Neon gets labeled as unreliable. It's BS, and not a very accurate way to find out the truth.

Fortunately, I've been heavily involved in the neon community, know hundreds of neon owners, and been to the past THREE neon conventions.... headgaskets ARE NOT the neons weak point. If you actually want to know what it is... its the front axles. :\ Even a STOCK Dohc can snap the axles if it has pretty sticky tires and dumps the clutch from 5k. Pretty chinsy. Luckily, changing axles is REALLY easy (a lot easier than the SVX with those spring loaded pins and everything) and this past year I helped do one in about 15 minutes at the Route 66 dragstrip parking lot.

But then when people who've just 'heard' of neon headgasket problems try to tell me that its a huge problem and thats why neons are unreliable...ARGh that ticks me off. Yes. It was a problem. Faulty design. They revised the headgasket with a completely new design, and the problem was SOLVED. Now if you want to talk about unreliable, lets talk about our beloved SVX's transmission.... did Subaru ever offer to replace it? NOoooOOOOOOooo. Did they ever 'correct' the problem? Nope. At least with the headgasket problem you can get the dealership to fix it, and not have to pay much (secret warranty, basically they don't wnat to publicize the fact that chrysler will pay for it, but they actually will if you print out the right page from the internet).

Anyway, sorry I was somewhat personal, its just something I'm really sick of hearing.

- Rob
Old 09-14-2003, 03:14 PM
SVX26517

if it makes you happy, i am a mopar nut, we have like 4 of them, if you count the mitsubishi, and i do like the 2003 models. I just dont like the 95-98/99 or whatever because they looked cheap and dont really handle that well. They do have alot of pep if you get the 2.0 DOHC motor, I dont really like the SOHC engine.
Old 09-14-2003, 04:42 PM
Superbeast

EEEAAAAASSSSYY ROB! I know they fixed the head gasket problem so chill. And a K car head is easier to pull than a Neon head, and no need to get all SVX bashy, I know they have there problems too. What I ment was why can't car manufactures seem to simulate the real world conditions that seem to make parts of thier cars fail relitivly easy at low milage?

Old 09-14-2003, 05:07 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Quote:
I just dont like the 95-98/99 or whatever because they looked cheap and dont really handle that well. They do have alot of pep if you get the 2.0 DOHC motor, I dont really like the SOHC engine.
Well, you're wrong here too. The 1st gen neon (95-99) IS one of the best handling FWD cars ever produced.... the ACR model especially, but even the regular models. Go to an autocross. See what car is turning the fastest times. Chances are, it'll either be a MIATA, or a 1st GEN NEON!

Also, about the DOHC being more peppy and powerful, again, you're somewhat wrong. The DOHC has a more honda-ish powerband, so at lower RPMs it isn't as responsive or powerful. The SOHC, is actually a better engine to have around town, due to increased low RPM torque, and if you were to put the two next to each other, and race them, the SOHC would jump ahead of the DOHC, and at about 40-60mph somewhere the DOHC might catch up and pass.

Anyway....

- Rob