How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-04-2003, 01:06 PM
TapperManor

All Season Tires ????

I know there have been many posts on recommended tires. I was able to find two. (Yes, I know how to use the search function) Please direct me to more if you know of them.

Basically I am ready to buy 4 new tires. I will run them all year long, during summer and winter.
(Although I don't drive the SVX alot in the winter, since I usually have a winter car as well)

I want something that will be decent in the winter, but not make alot of road/tread noise on pavement.

Any help with this is much appreciated.

Thanks
Tapper
Old 08-04-2003, 03:31 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
Tapper,

I just ordered 4 Continental Extreme Contact tires for my SVX. The price was $86 apiece plus shipping & installation. These tires are on back order and it looks like they will be shipped in late August or early Sept.

The other tire that finished second to them was the Yokohama AVS dB S2. I believe that this tire was $101 apiece and is in stock.

The Yokos are supposed to be slighter quieter than the Contis, but the Contis are supposed to be alot better in snow.

I chose the Contis because of the snow traction. I had experience with half worn Yokos AVS dBs (not the new S2 version)on my 92 SVX and did not like their lack of traction and handling capabilities. My 92 SVX is my daily driver to/from work, so I need snow traction.
Also, the Dunlop SP-5000 AS tires ($107/ea.) on my 97 were almost brand new last winter. They were only slightly better than the Yokos in snow and they are slightly nosier than the Yokos.

That is why I am trying the Contis. I hope they are as good as advertised.

Good Luck with your tire search.
'07 Gray Diamond Pearl Outback XT Ltd..."AH SO"
'05 White Pearl & Silver BAJA Turbo..."AH HA"
'97 Bordeaux Pearl SVX LSi..."SUBYDOO"
'94 White Pearl SVX LSi..."PEARLY"
'92 White Pearl SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."SVXY"
'92 Teal SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."ALCYONE"
'96 Polo Green LSi ... "MIDORI"
'00 Black Dodge VIPER RT-10... "VINNIE"

Engineers do it with precision.
English teachers are novel lovers.

Home: larrysingeriii@comcast.net

SVX FEVER, CATCH IT AT A MEET NEAR YOU !!

Last edited by LarryIII; 08-04-2003 at 03:38 PM.
Old 08-05-2003, 04:54 PM
harvey

I put ContiTouringContacts on mine.
I noticed the improved smoothness driving out of the tire shop driveway.
Smooth, quiet, no noticable wear after 10K, reduced CD skip.
I haven't had the opportunity to test them in snow but they're good in water.

Old 08-05-2003, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by harvey
I put ContiTouringContacts on mine.
I noticed the improved smoothness driving out of the tire shop driveway.
Smooth, quiet, no noticable wear after 10K, reduced CD skip.
I haven't had the opportunity to test them in snow but they're good in water.

Water? In Yuma?
Old 08-06-2003, 04:30 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by lee

Water? In Yuma?

Someone threw the ice cubes out on the road after they finished their drink.

Old 08-11-2003, 12:02 AM

Send a message via AIM to Paisan Send a message via Yahoo to Paisan
Conti-extremes.

I have 2 different people I know who bought them based on the Tirerack reviews. Both of them have had them on their cars for about 2-5K miles and both are not overly happy with them. They said they are very greasy and dry traction is worse than they had with their RE92s.

I love yoks for summer tires. The ES100s and AVS Sports are both great tires.

For all seasons?

245-45-16 Dunlop SP5000s. I can't say enough good things about them. I ran them last winter during a sever blizzard the weekend after new years from albany to buffalo with 6"-8" of snow on the NYS Thruway and then at Limerock Park in April with the BMW Club for a HPDE where I got pointbys from an M5 and M Coupe. These tires can do it all from blizzards to track-days! They run about $105-110 IIRC.

and

and then in April at LRP

Old 08-11-2003, 04:35 AM

Registered SVX
Paisan,

Thanks for the heads up. I have the Dunlop SP-5000 AS tires on the '97. They have about 5000 miles on them now. I did not think that they were really great in the snow that we had last winter. I would rate them only fair. However, they are still way better than the Yoko AVS dBs in the snow.

I have noticed something in the tire survey letters from tire rack, in the posts here, and in talking to other SVXers about personal experience with certain brands & models of tires. The responses and comments on the tire under the same conditions vary widely.
This all can't be explained away due to different cars and driving styles. As an example ; you loved the Dunlop SP-5000 in the snow. You even used them in competition on snow. I found them only fair in snow on public roads. True you have a different size tire than I do, but the diffence in opinion should not be that vast. Back in 1967-1969, I ice raced my SAAB on a set of fully studded Michelin X tires. These were so much better. Even the Pirelli Centurato street tires (CN-36) on that car were alot better than these Dunlops in snow.

I think that tires in the category of 'all-seaon ultra high performance tires, vary way too much in their performance for the same tire model & size. I'm begining to suspect manufacturing variances. I think this, because I beleve that production runs are quite small compared to the run of the mill all-season tire. I hope I'm wrong. If I'm right, it becomes a crap shoot when buying these kinds of tires.

Last edited by LarryIII; 08-11-2003 at 04:38 AM.
Old 08-11-2003, 06:12 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Remember Paisan likes to race and push the car to the limit. I can do without the "best" dry traction.

I think the Conti-Extremes are a good tire for daily driving, quiet, excellent snow rating (but I still have to wait for winter for my experience), great in the road water (better than AVS) and at a great price compared to other tires.
Old 08-11-2003, 07:26 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to CigarJohnny
The meet monster bit my front-left tire on the way to the Crab Meet in Maryland and I picked up a pair of Sumitomo HTR+ for $106 each. So far I really like them and am planning to put them on the rear as well as soon as I can afford to (not the best time financially for me to have a blowout ). They ran great at the auto-X (I got the shortest SVX laptime next to Harry's) and they are really quiet on the highway. I was just now looking up reviews from people in my area and they are supposed to be excellent in the rain and snow as well. For a "budget" tire they are as good or better than other tires at twice the price. I would highly recommend them to you!

Ebony Mica '92 LS 80K Oct 2002 - Dec 2004: Victim of theft. She served me well.

You can tell the lack of craftsmanship by the wrinkles in the duct tape.
Old 08-11-2003, 11:52 AM

Actually, the SVX is now my daily driver, the snow traction was on the NYS Thruway from albany to Buffalo, the SVX doesn't get tracked in the winter!

I plan on keeping it well stocked with SP5000s for daily driving, if I were going to keep tracking it it would get either ES100s for the summer or Toyo Proxie RA1s for the summer and either SP5000s or Snows for the winter.

I agree though, driving style has a lot to do with it. In the snow I'm very careful cause I know there are tons of nuts out their with 10 kids packed in a mini-van or suv who has no idea how to drive in the snow so I'm real careful.

-mike
Old 08-11-2003, 06:09 PM
nervous

anyone ever had mastercraft avengers on there svx in the snow. They were on when i got it there new but just look like a speed tire.
Old 08-14-2003, 06:34 PM
Original Owner 1992-2008

Send a message via AIM to MoreIBNR
Larry - I am going a little out on a limb here, but are judging from the survey results on the Tire Rack web site for the judgment on
the snow performance of the Contis? If so, you can't believe it. The Extreme Contact is a new tire and hasn't been around long enough for the survey participants to have driven them in the snow. At least that is what the salesman st Tire Rack told me when I ordered tires for my other cars from him.

I am not saying they aren't good in the snow, just that the survey results are not reliable.

Quote:
Originally posted by LarryIII
Tapper,

I just ordered 4 Continental Extreme Contact tires for my SVX. The price was $86 apiece plus shipping & installation. These tires are on back order and it looks like they will be shipped in late August or early Sept.

The other tire that finished second to them was the Yokohama AVS dB S2. I believe that this tire was $101 apiece and is in stock.

The Yokos are supposed to be slighter quieter than the Contis, but the Contis are supposed to be alot better in snow.

I chose the Contis because of the snow traction. I had experience with half worn Yokos AVS dBs (not the new S2 version)on my 92 SVX and did not like their lack of traction and handling capabilities. My 92 SVX is my daily driver to/from work, so I need snow traction.
Also, the Dunlop SP-5000 AS tires ($107/ea.) on my 97 were almost brand new last winter. They were only slightly better than the Yokos in snow and they are slightly nosier than the Yokos.

That is why I am trying the Contis. I hope they are as good as advertised.

Good Luck with your tire search.
Old 08-14-2003, 08:20 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Quote:
Originally posted by CigarJohnny
The meet monster bit my front-left tire on the way to the Crab Meet in Maryland and I picked up a pair of Sumitomo HTR+ for $106 each. So far I really like them and am planning to put them on the rear as well as soon as I can afford to (not the best time financially for me to have a blowout ). They ran great at the auto-X (I got the shortest SVX laptime next to Harry's) and they are really quiet on the highway. I was just now looking up reviews from people in my area and they are supposed to be excellent in the rain and snow as well. For a "budget" tire they are as good or better than other tires at twice the price. I would highly recommend them to you!
Wow. What size HTR+ tires are you running? I've got a set of 225/45-17s on my 17" rims and they are deafeningly loud on anything but perfect asphalt. Wheel alignment is perfect, and tire pressures are between 35-39 psi.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 08-14-2003, 10:55 PM

Wow my SVX is silent no matter what I'm driving on. Heck I could be driving on cobblestones and it would still be quiet

Hee Hee

-mike
Old 08-15-2003, 04:45 AM

Registered SVX
IBNR, I read all the TireRack reviews of the Conti EC tires and counted only the ones that had specific snow experience from norther climes.
There was also someone here that had good experience with them in the snow.
I had snow expeience with the Yoko AVSdB's in snow last winter. I did not like them. It's true that they were half worn down but I think they were very poor.
My old Toyo Proxy T-1S tires were real hich performance summer tires and they did alot better in 6" of snow that the AVS dBs on my '92 or the newer Dunlop SP-5000 AS tires on my '97. This is based on the same driver (me) and driving style for all 3 brands of tires.
So I'll put my money on the Contis and see what they're like.

I'm really beginning to think that there is a wide variance in manufacturing tolerances on these low volume tires.
Remember that the quality problems in the one Firestone plant were much worse than those in their other plants.