How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-04-2003, 12:41 AM
StaceyVX

Unhappy Huge Dent In Bumper =(

So, it looks as if I have the attack of the ex or jealous boyfriend's friend. If anyone remembers, a couple months ago, my car got totally egged on all spots possible (even in the grill). Last night someone took a bat (or something) to my rear bumper. There's a nice dent the size of a grapefruit also having a crack/line going vertically down it. Also at the far right of the dent, they managed to make some of the paint crack into little lines.

I bought the Dent King thing, but it doesn't seem to be working. Does anyone know how I can pop this out? I tried through the trunk, but it's below the taillight and I didn't see a way to get to it.

Thanks a lot.
Old 08-04-2003, 01:19 AM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
the dent king is sketchy as it is and is *intended* for sheet metal use. The hard plastic on the bumer is another story sorry If you haev a pic of it maybe we can help up, ps becaerfull not to pull paint off, the lines indicate a now weakness in the paint.
phil
Old 08-04-2003, 05:31 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Me thinks you should look for a better class of boyfriends....
As anyone that would damage another persons property has NO class
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 08-04-2003, 06:03 AM

I've seen them use hair dryers on small dents on bumpers, you have to do it fairly quickly before creasing sets in......

The one I saw was about the size of a golf ball and with a bit of heat it just popped back into place. Your grapefruit might be a bit large for this tho'

Maybe fill the dent with a bit of your ex....

Last edited by KennEls; 08-05-2003 at 03:44 AM.
Old 08-04-2003, 09:47 AM
JLittell

Heat gun does the job well on plastic bumpers as long as you can get your hand behind it to push it out. You will more than likely need to repaint the bumper if you can get the dent out.
Old 08-04-2003, 10:44 AM
StaceyVX

Quote:
Originally posted by huck369
Me thinks you should look for a better class of boyfriends....
As anyone that would damage another persons property has NO class
Actually, I meant to say it could be either my boyfriend's ex-girlfriend or this girl who used to be his friend who is in love with him (whom I've had words with).
Old 08-04-2003, 10:45 AM
StaceyVX

This is extremely disappointing...I can't get to the back of it to push it out, either...

I will try to take a picture of it later, but it seems like I'm screwed.
Old 08-04-2003, 11:44 AM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim
Stacey I'm really sorry to hear about what happened! . That's really such a demeaning way to seek retaliation on someone. I really hope you can catch them in the act. It's going to be hard to catch them unless you have no life, because it would require staying up late a lot just to find them.

For a fee my friends and I can camp outside your front yard with baseball bats for 2 weeks... hehe. J/k

A picture would help. Maybe you might just have to use body filler? It should be good as new, but no one should have to undergo this kind of harrassment. Maybe you could also take off the rear bumper and knock it out. Good luck stacey and keep us posted.
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 08-05-2003, 11:36 AM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
im also thinking that you may have to remove the bumper. not the easiest way but should be the prettiest in the end.

as for dem bat weildin mugs, you want i should bust a nose, eh?
i got some cheap friends in philly if ya know what i mean....

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 08-05-2003, 01:11 PM
StaceyVX

Actually, it was such a long day when I wrote this post and I was so tired, that I wrote bumper...It's NOT the bumper..It's the area of the trunk below the left taillight, so it's on the body. I have to dig out my digital camera (I'm redoing the bedroom) and take a picture.

As for the offers to sit outside my house for 2 weeks and having cheap friends, are they willing to hit a girl because that's who it is; I just have a feeling that it's this girl my boyfriend was good friends with who is in love with him. We argued a couple weeks ago when she kept calling his house late at night and she said she was going to beat the %$#* out of me. I really just have a feeling...

So now that it's the body, not the bumper, can anyone help me?
Old 08-05-2003, 02:05 PM
StaceyVX

Hey NikFu, I noticed that you live in Alaska...The day after my car was hit, my boyfriend left, and I didn't notice it until later in the day so I didn't get to tell him. He landed in Anchorage, too. He hasn't called me. I guess the time difference got to him.

Last edited by StaceyVX; 08-05-2003 at 09:00 PM.
Old 08-05-2003, 02:35 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally posted by StaceyVX

Actually, I meant to say it could be either my boyfriend's ex-girlfriend or this girl who used to be his friend who is in love with him (whom I've had words with).
You sure it wasn't Dennis mad at ya for keeping Jason away from him .
Old 08-05-2003, 03:52 PM
Takin tools to task

Registered SVX
ah i see. i heres a pic of the area you described, and if its the right one, your either going to have to drill and pull the dent, or do some cutting on the inside. i looked at the inside and there is a nice firm wall there.
personally i would cut it for multiple reasons. learning whats behind it and weight reduction being the top two. keeping from drilling the front being a close third.

so the culprit has stopped up here huh? ill get Knuckles and Jimmy daFingaz on it right away....
(=_=)_y^^^
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dent area.jpg (59.7 KB, 120 views)

Old 08-05-2003, 06:06 PM
CONSUME

Sorry about the dent stacey. It seems you have THE decision to make: To stay stock or to move to custom. You can cut out for the reasons nikfu gave, or drill and get a dent puller or rivet gun. Rivet gun:Ihave never tried,but looks like it works well. You can grind them down and fill nicely. Do to the nice metal used on our cars you probably won't be able to suck it out with that ding thingy. If you do use the ding thingy try to give the surface a good wet sand with 600 grit wet sand paper/ dry it off well/ use the glue stuff then leave it on for 24hours/ THEN use the ding king. You should get WAY more grip. Sad news is you really need to repaint regardless. If the (cracking)goes down to the prime I would not trust our "galvanized"steel not to rust out.
They prob. tried to dent the bumper with no luck.
Old 08-05-2003, 08:38 PM
Takin tools to task

Registered SVX
ah i should have mentioned the rusting! it may be because i wash my car every week, but all my dings on my hood turn brown very quickly. also i had a nice little dent that was gray, until "155mphman" tried to sand it down. it instantly turned brown with rust.
my point is whatever you do, do it quickly and rust treat it. any peircing of the zinc coating will lead to rust that may spread like wildfire internally.
anyone disagree?