How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-18-2003, 11:30 PM
sputnik

serious problem

i have a serious problem stemming from what seemed like a relatively simple problem with my svx.
i started noticing some wheelspin and torque steer that i wasnt used to, so (of course) the first thing i did was go here and check the SEARCH option. i found exactly what i was looking for: the transfer clutch or the transfer control solenoid.
so, i went to a local non-dealer subaru place in my hometown of westbrook, maine and talked to a guy who offered to test drive it. he drove the car out back in a dirt parking lot, did a few starts and stops and came back. to no surprise, he said it was the awd malfunctioning. but, he said, he had never worked on an SVX so to get it fixed i'd have to go to the dealer. so i scheduled an appointment with the dealer. and here's where the problem lies:
after only a few hours of dropping my car off, they call me back and say there's NOTHING wrong with my car. how could that be? im not an idiot, there was something wrong with the car. and i had the opinion of the folks on this site, and of a subaru tech on my side, so i told them to look harder. i even found a message that told a specific test to perform to check transfer pressure and do things with the fwd fuse and so on, printed it out, and gave it to the mechanics to try, and they still said they found nothing wrong with the car. what should i do? it's an intermittent problem, but it's been getting worse. i thought it might be tires, but i had some better treaded ones put on and it still peels like crazy. oh and the reciept (74 bucks thanks for NOTHING) from the dealer reccomends i take it to a tranny shop.

help greatly appreciated,
mike
Old 07-19-2003, 12:09 AM

Send a message via ICQ to IwantaSVX Send a message via AIM to IwantaSVX
I wouldn't feel bad just yet. My local dealership charged me $184.05 to tell me that my AWD was not functioning properly and they wanted even more money to disassemble the transfer housing and inspect the parts. Take into account they originally quoted me a fee of $60 to diagnose the problem. They called to inform me they needed pressure tests and it would cost more labor (~$120).

My best guess is that you need a rebuilt of the extension housing (MPT clutches, Solenoid, Gaskets, etc...). It sounds like the pressure readings are coming out in the acceptable range, as they say everything checks OK. This should indicate worn clutches. I'm not sure why you think it is intermittent.
Old 07-20-2003, 12:13 AM

One other possibility for torque steer is uneven tire pressure or structural problems with a tire like rubber peeling off. Just thought I should mention it.

One thing to always remember - the dealer is not in the business of providing you the best and the longest running car for the least amount of money.
Old 07-22-2003, 05:23 PM
dekidd7457

You say you have wheel spin and torque steer, neither of which sound like a transfer clutch problem. What exactly is the car doing. What do you mean by wheel spin, the front wheels loose traction with the road? Does the problem stop when you install the FWD fuse?
Old 07-22-2003, 06:06 PM

Send a message via ICQ to IwantaSVX Send a message via AIM to IwantaSVX
If his front wheels are slipping and he is experiencing torque steer the AWD is not working. I argued night and day with many mechanics until my car was eventually fixed right. Most mechanics I spoke to actually believe that a correctly functioning AWD system in a SVX works like this:

Front wheels spin until they slip and then the back wheels are powered. These so called mechanics told me torque steer was normal.

I even had one Subaru Dealer tell me the above and then tell me he was wrong that "the back wheels always spin until they lose traction and then the front wheels are powered". I just said "thank you".

The first description "Front wheels spin until they slip and then the back wheels are powered" is somewhat correct. Although, all wheels should spin, and when the computer notices a difference in the sensors it transfers the torque split.

If the AWD is not functioning properly, there are many causes. Transfer clutch is a probable cause, along with the transfer valve, speed sensors, TCU, etc...
Old 07-22-2003, 06:55 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Re: serious problem

Quote:
Originally posted by sputnik
................ so i scheduled an appointment with the dealer. and here's where the problem lies:
after only a few hours of dropping my car off, they call me back and say there's NOTHING wrong with my car................
So it appears that this particular dealer doesn' t do trans. I would not take it there.