How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-06-2003, 12:43 PM
alacrity024

Building a car from scratch..

since working at NHIS for club races a year ago, i've been toying with the idea of an eg33-powered racecar.. i think that the motor's low center of gravity could make for a healthy advantage in racing..

the svx is a little too heavy to be a good contender, and i've been thinking it would be fun to build a car from the ground up.. you'd obviously need a frame, and i've seen those for sale in grassroots magazines.. you'd also need suspension, brakes, transmission, steering rack, wheels..... what else? it'd be cool to get a list together of all the things you'd need to make a real barebones racecar..

just thinking out loud

-adam
Old 05-06-2003, 01:01 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
You could do a mid-engine car if you used a 2WD tranny. Of course, you wouldn't have a limited-slip diff...

...then again, if you used the rear diff, hacked the driveshaft down to like 1ft, and fixed the transfer mechanism somehow so that all of the torque went through the rear...

...but then you'd be carrying around the front diff (or at least its case) for no good reason, adding to the length of the drivetrain...

I'd stick with a front-engined, 4wd layout, probably. Or, if you can flip both of the diffs upside-down, you can do a rear-engined car.

Hey, if you're going to think out loud, then so am I.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 05-06-2003, 01:53 PM
Fighting with electricity

Send a message via AIM to SVX10 Send a message via Yahoo to SVX10
While we're all thinking out loud and flipping stuff, why not put enormous tires on it so that you can flip the whole car over and have BOTH a front engine AWD AND a rear engine AWD (depending upon how you flip the car). It'd be like that Ricochet RC car that was on the market when I was younger...flip that b and it keeps going.

Back on topic...I'd love to build an SVX powered sports car from the ground up. I was thinking a Magnesium frame would be cool, then along came some company called FORD using that idea on their GT. Like they know anything about building cars. hehe.
92 SVX LS-L - Ebony Pearl - 2002 WRX 5MT trans w/STi gearset (rebuilt & installed myself ) - BMW E46 HID retrofit - Kenwood Headunit - Phoenix Gold 75x4 RMS amp - Alpine Type R 6.5" front components - Alpine Type R 6x9 3way rear speakers - 18"x9" Rota G-Force wheels w/225/40ZR18 Toyo T1R's - Mychailo's custom springs - Urethane front & rear sway bar bushings - KC exhaust (2.5" dual magnaflow) - Escaine seat swap - Removed Spoiler

I don't care if Subaru says it's STI...it will always be STi to me
Old 05-06-2003, 01:55 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

While were dreaming here....

I'd doa mid-engined EG33 powered machine using a Fortin or Mendeola manual box. These things will handle ridiculous amounts of HP/torque.

I have a customer who is getting rid of his Lola project car. Body pulled off the original molds and a complete 1980's Mustang GTP suspension package. The package comes with a suspension/frame design completed by the a freelance GM racing program guy using the Mustang GTP components and a healthy small-block Chevrolet. Conservative estimate to complete the package is $30,000.00.

All this can be yours for $25,000.00

Todd
Old 05-06-2003, 01:55 PM
alacrity024

those are some good thoughts.. drivetrain selection was something i'd gotten stuck on. ideally i'd like a front-engine, rear-drive layout, but an MR setup would be sweet too.. AWD weighs too much and unless you really beef it up, i fear that it would be prone to failure..

however as we're all aware, subaru doesn't make any rear-drive trannies.. does there exist a sort of "generic transmission?" like could one just buy a getrag 5-speed and hook up some sort of adapter kit so it'd bolt up to the hot end of the eg33?

-adam
Old 05-06-2003, 02:09 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Talking Did you read my post Adam?

Here's one transmission

http://www.fortinracing.com/transaxles.html

and here's another

http://www.mendeolaracing.com/

Todd
Old 05-06-2003, 02:12 PM

Simply strip the trans and machine off the bell housing than cut and weld a plate to it. machine the center of the plate to wichever trans you want to use, richmond, getreag, t5,t6, whatever . the only problem I see is that the rear won't hold that much power on its own. In the older subeis with the e81's and manual transfer cases Ive run in rear wheel drive by removing one front axel and installing just the stubshaft to hold the wheel on. run transfer in four high or low to drive the rear.In the svx you could do the same with the axel than electronically lock the transfer diff and have rear wheel drive. would only try this pryer to installing a 5mt. since you will likely break the transfer gear or the rear end, both of which get swaped in the 5mt change.
Old 05-06-2003, 03:38 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Re: While were dreaming here....

Quote:
Originally posted by wawazat??
The package comes with a suspension/frame design completed by the a freelance GM racing program guy using the Mustang GTP components and a healthy small-block Chevrolet.

Todd
GM racing program? Really? Were you really supposed to say that? heheheheh