How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-04-2003, 09:44 PM
Dave J.

Unhappy Security and alarm difficulites preventing engine start

My car was stored over the winter and the battery completely discharged. Upon re-charging it the car would not start. No power to the starter at all though everything else electrical worked. Thinking the battery was starting to fail I had it checked out and it's fine. So, thinking the starter might have died I checked it using a remote starter switch. It turns the engine with no problem, plenty of power, so its okay too.

Now I suspect the alarm/security sytem. I really didn't use the alarm before but thought that it might need to be reset. After going thru the programming of the remote to no avail about ten times I'm at a dead end.

The programming process seems to work as described by Randy in his posts to this forum. Security switch off, ignition on then off, rapidly swtich the security switch on and off until the horn beeps and a clicking sound comes from the dash (programming mode), press the remote button five times (parking lights flash to confirm and horn beeps), then turn ignition on then off again. This whole procedure works except that the horn does not beep when pressing the remote button five times. The horn does beep three times in rapid succession when pressing the security switch on and off to enter programming mode.

Using the remote arms and disarms the alarm and locks and unlocks the doors. Unfortunately using the key does not get the starter to turn over, and it won't start with the key on while using a remote starter switch to crank the engine.

I could use a little help here. Has anyone had this problem before? Is there and alternate procedure to program the remote or reset the alarm system? All advice is greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Dave J.
Old 05-06-2003, 05:52 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Have you checked the fuel pressure and supply, filter?
Old 05-06-2003, 09:32 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Dave,
I don't think the security system is your culprit. At one time, there was a starter kill function in the security system, but, I believe it was removed, or "upgraded" out at the same time the passive alarm feature was removed (May '93. I believe).

Are you saying the engine is cranking, but not firing? If this is the case, check the fuel pressure, as John suggested, but, also make sure your gas hasn't gone bad while in storage. If you did not put fuel stabilizer in the tank, you could have some bad gas. If this is the case, make sure, once you replace your gas, that you check the plugs. If you've tried to start it for any period of time with bad gas, you could've soaked your plugs with the bad gas, causing them not to fire.

Just thinking out loud.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 05-06-2003, 06:53 PM

since your profile says you're driving a 92 model year it could be the starter inhibit relay - which is a part of the 92 security system. Wish I could point out it's location for you, but I've never looked for it. My diagram shows it under the dash on the driver's side. You would have to jump across it (need thick wire) and see if the starter spins via key.
Old 05-07-2003, 04:59 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Re: Security and alarm difficulites preventing engine start

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave J.
So, thinking the starter might have died I checked it using a remote starter switch. It turns the engine with no problem, plenty of power, so its okay too.
The starter works.
Old 05-08-2003, 10:41 AM
Dave J.

Thanks for the starter relay suggestion. At this point I'm willing to try anything including removing the alarm module to get this car to start.
Old 05-08-2003, 12:44 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave J.
Thanks for the starter relay suggestion. At this point I'm willing to try anything including removing the alarm module to get this car to start.
The inhibitor relay was what I meant by the "kill function" it's located under the dash on a bracket on the steering column (or was -- I still think it was discontinued or "upgraded out"). I'd scan it's location (or where it's supposed to be) if my scanner hadn't done the dirt nap. Anybody else?

Oh, and the reason I don't think the inhibitor is operative is because, on both my SVXes, I've not started the car before setting off the alarm (allowed the countdown to expire and set off the alarm), at which point the inhibitor is supposed to keep the car from starting until you go through a complicated process to re-set it. Mine has never failed to start (neither of them) after the infraction that's supposed to inhibit starting.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI

Last edited by Aredubjay; 05-08-2003 at 12:48 PM.
Old 05-08-2003, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

The inhibitor relay was what I meant by the "kill function" it's located under the dash on a bracket on the steering column (or was -- I still think it was discontinued or "upgraded out"). I'd scan it's location (or where it's supposed to be) if my scanner hadn't done the dirt nap. Anybody else?

Oh, and the reason I don't think the inhibitor is operative is because, on both my SVXes, I've not started the car before setting off the alarm (allowed the countdown to expire and set off the alarm), at which point the inhibitor is supposed to keep the car from starting until you go through a complicated process to re-set it. Mine has never failed to start (neither of them) after the infraction that's supposed to inhibit starting.
I agree with Aredubjay that this isn't likely to be the cause (although with a VOM it's free to check). The reason I doubt it is that the relay is a normally closed type, only opening (and cutting out the starter) when the alarm triggers it. So that would imply the alarm is somehow holding the relay open. Not likely, but possible. Could be the ignition switch itself, but I've not heard many complain about that. Any other electric or mechanical work done? Checked the ground wire that connects near the starter? How about the under hood wires to the starter itself?
Old 05-15-2006, 01:15 PM

Similar Trouble

I am having a similar problem with my car. Same situation. Car sat for a long time (much longer than yours). I also have a 92. Never had a problem with it before. If I figure it out I'll let you know. Please do the same for me. I feel like you do, that it is a security issue. Perhaps our ECU forgot how to talk to the security module? Anyone from subaru know how to reset this stuff?
Old 05-15-2006, 01:28 PM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
I beg to differ, there have been many complaints about it here in the forums.

KuoH

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee
Could be the ignition switch itself, but I've not heard many complain about that.
Old 05-15-2006, 01:31 PM

The SVX ECU does not talk to the security module at all. So long as the starter kill relay isn't being falsely triggered, the car will start and run.

KuoH

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdigerlando
Perhaps our ECU forgot how to talk to the security module?
Old 05-15-2006, 01:57 PM

Security

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuoh
The SVX ECU does not talk to the security module at all. So long as the starter kill relay isn't being falsely triggered, the car will start and run.

KuoH
Any idea how to tell if the starter kill relay is triggered, other than the car won't start?
Old 05-15-2006, 02:05 PM

Measure with a DMM or pull the relay and bypass with a jumper. Contrary to the suggestions here, it does not have to be a heavy wire. Any 16-18 gauge wire will do, since it only carries current for the starter solenoid. If you don't get 12V at the ignition switch side of the harness, then there is likely a problem in the ignition switch.

KuoH
Old 05-15-2006, 03:09 PM

I may have already done this. I measured 12- volts on the top bolt and perhaps 4+ volts on the bottom bolt of the starter actuator. Does that sound like a problem?
Old 05-16-2006, 06:06 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVXgarcia
I had the same problem with my 97 Nissan Maxima I know the cars are not related but in my Maxima I pretty much checked everything possible but I never checked the actual "security" relay under the hood. All I did was remove it and then put it back and BINGO the car started right away. I'm not sure if the SVX has a relay for "security" but check. Good luck