Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > European Forum

Old 02-16-2003, 11:01 AM
TonyShaleUK

Front speaker anyone???

My passenger door speaker has decided that it doesn't like the kind of music I play and has developed an annoying buzz when anything with half-decent bass is played. I have done a check with the door panel off and tightened up everything in sight. No change, so the speaker is definitely u/s. I don't fancy putting a different type in as there seems to be a lot of messing about to fit to the adpator ring.

All of which leads me to the question, anyone got a replacement that they are willing to part with if I cross their palm with silver??
Old 02-16-2003, 01:50 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Can't help Tony,

But unless I am mistaken, Phil & Belha changed their fronts for different speakers. If I am right, they may still have the originals in the garage.

PM to Phil, see if he has the old ones.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 02-17-2003, 02:36 AM
Phil & Belha

Front Speakers

Hi Tony,

Sounds to me like you've been playing your CDs too loud

The annoying buzz is probably caused by a tear where the paper cone of the speaker attaches to it's frame. We had the exact same problem. I tried tape and glue as a temporary measure, but it was useless. Best solution is to change the speakers for some nice ones.

It's actually quite easy to separate the speaker from the adapter ring. Ours appeared to have 3 small spot welds, which came out easily with a 3mm drill (the metal is very soft). But the speaker was still stuck to the ring, so we inserted a large kitchen knife between the two and tapped it gently with a hammer. Both came apart quite easily.

Then we went to the shop with a speaker and ring and got them to show us a few until we found some that were a good fit. IIRC They were Pioneers and cost about 40 quid. I still have the box in the loft so I can check the model number if you want. They have metallic cones which shouldn't degrade like the originals.

I used some small bolts and washers to screw the speaker into the holes I had drilled in the ring.

Then we had to cut the wires and crimp on new spade connectors which the shop had thrown in for free.

That's all there is to it. I really suggest you bite the bullet and give it a try. The SVX stereo sounds great when played through decent speakers. Easily as good as the Alpine system we had in our previous car.

Good Luck.

Phil.
Old 02-17-2003, 09:40 AM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
There are actually about 6 or 8 small weld spots that you can easily drill out and then the speaker and the mount will separate without much effort. The drilled holes will also match the holes in most aftermarket speakers, so you can use that as a guide after you've drilled the first hole.

KuoH
Old 02-17-2003, 01:33 PM
Phil & Belha

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by kuoh
There are actually about 6 or 8 small weld spots that you can easily drill out ......

Oh yeah, now I remember. I drilled out six welds, but only used 3 of the holes to bolt in the new speakers.

Tony - I tried to reply to your email, but your email address doesn't work. Essentially, we have the speakers, but they are useless. They have the same problem as yours (and the adapter ring has been removed).

Quote:
SMTP error from remote mailer after RCPT
550 Unknown local part
Phil & Belha.
Old 02-22-2003, 08:37 AM
TonyShaleUK

Ok, thanks to all the replies.

Looks like the Easter Bunny might come early to the Shale house!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: