Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-03-2017, 05:00 PM

replace/repair rack & pinon steering

Had the 95 SVX inspected for annual NYS inspection and it passed but garage said the rack & pinon was damp and would need to be replaced. I ask about just replacing seals but they said it had to be replaced since seals were not available: Of course I found several sets on Ebay. Should I just buy a rebuilt unit since the labor cost to replace seals might be more than a rebuilt unit. Any suggestion/recommendations?
Old 04-03-2017, 05:47 PM

Re: replace/repair rack & pinon steering

Make sure it is actually the rack that is leaking. Engine oil leaks can drip on the rack also and make it seem like the rack is leaking.
Old 04-03-2017, 06:02 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001

Also, check the fluid level in the power steering pump reservoir. Is there noticeable slack/play in the steering?
Old 04-03-2017, 08:20 PM

Both are good suggestions, I haven't had to add power steering fluid and I haven't checked for engine leaks, just took the word of the garage. I'll do both of them tomorrow but I have noticed some oil stains on the ground after parking overnight.
Old 04-04-2017, 05:09 AM
51 Club

Registered SVX

Our cars use transmission fluid for the power steering so any leaks should be red.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:58 AM

Registered SVX

Be sure it is not the metal lines .The one close to the steering wheel side has a tendency to rub and wear a thin spot. That is what was wrong with mine.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:05 PM

Registered SVX

Does the leak have to be fixed to get your inspection sticker?
A little drip is not the end of the world and might not "have" to be fixed.
Old 04-05-2017, 12:00 PM

I'm not sure if the leak has to be fixed to pass inspection. I don't believe that it is a reason for failing but the garage said and I quote " I should have failed it but I passed it for you". He may just want me to believe he did me a favor. It's been raining for several days so I haven't been able to check the ground or crawl under the car to check for myself. I will check the metal line as well. If I need to replace the unit does anyone know if a faster rack will swap into our cars? I ask because I was on another forum and there was a thread about swap a 2004 STI rack into earlier Impreza's/Forester because it allow for a faster turn ratio. I'm sure it won't fit our cars but it made me think that perhaps a faster rack is available from a Legacy or some other model: i don't even know what our OEM steering ratio is ? A faster ratio would lower the number of turns from lock to lock and result in quicker steering. Would it also be recommended to upgrade any steering components at this time such as tie rods/ bearings/ hoses?
Old 04-08-2017, 08:35 PM

I've been searching other forum about quicker steering racks and it seems that the 2015 STI unit is the rack of choice; connectors are available to join different inner tie rods diameters making the swap simpler but still not easy. Before doing more research, I need to establish the ration of the SVX so we can do a comparison; I don't have access to that info, so can anyone provide that info? Specifically the ratio seems to be different between models since the LSi has electronically variable steering which I assume changes the ratio depending on speed or other factors.Our cars were technically advanced 20+ years ago so we may have the faster steering ratios that are recently available in other Subaru's.