SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

View Poll Results: What should i do for lucky number 6??
LAN Performance rebuild 8 25.00%
Swap the front diff 15 46.88%
WRX 5 spd 6 18.75%
4.11 5 spd 8 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-03-2010, 04:29 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Help me choose number 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hocrest View Post
On Saturday I was heading to DC for a job and my SVX started making a grinding noise. I got of the highway as the noise was getting worse. As I pulled into a parking lot, I think I have it ID'd as a bad front diff... Call AAA, get towed to Cressona home and jump in the Legacy.

I came down to Cressona to vote today and verified that yes, the front diff is phuked. For the new folks here is my tranny history.

Nov 2003 - Buy car with suspect trans, hope to get 6-12 months of decent shifting.
Dec 2003 - Trans dies, Have local shop put in a SOA rebuild.
Feb 2004 - SOA rebuild dies, local dealer puts in another SOA rebuild under warranty
Summer 2005 - 2nd SOA rebuild dies, out of warranty. Put in a stock from the junkyard.
Summer 2006 - Trans dies, install another stock from a parts car. Also add external filter.
Summer 2006 +2 days - Realize that I plumbed the external filter backwards as I toast another. Install a SOA rebuild pulled out of the junkyard.

As you can see I really like the stock gearing, so don't recommend a 4.44. My thoughts are;
1 - Stock gearing LAN rebuild - $2,000 to $4,000. Should be the last transmission I put into it.
2 - Pull trans and swap a new front diff - $200.00. I have a diff in the basement, and the trans seems to be shifting great.
3 - 5 spd WRX trans - $1,500 to $2,000. I've driven a few 5/6 spd SVX's and while I agree that it does turn it into a different car. I'm not sure if I like that car better???
4 - 5 spd 4.11 trans I have in my basement. - Under $1,000. I seem to recall someone mentioning about using a higher 5th gear in these transmissions to give a better highway cruising speed?? Any more info on this???
What's breaking these SOA reman trans??

That should have been the last transmission you need, for at least 80K miles, more likely to 150K.

My vote, replace the front diff. If you like the way the car shifts, when it shifts, install Harvey's QC Quick Change. If you want more rpms before shifts, pin Power mode.

How many miles did you put on the remans??
http://www.ClassicSoftTrim.com http://ToyoTires.com/tire/pattern/versado-lx Gillman Subaru of Houston
"QuickChange" http://www.TransGo.com/ http://www.PlanetSVX.com Bontrager Works,

'92 Subaru SVX LS-L Claret ORIGINAL OWNER
'92 LS-L Pearl~ '92 LS Pearl~ '92 LS-L Teal~ '92 LS-L Silver~ '95 LSi Polo~
'92 JDM Alcyone SVX Version-L 4WS Pearl~ http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54143
'92 JDM Alcyone SVX Version-L 4WS Ebony~ http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54117
Old 11-03-2010, 04:34 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedForSpeed View Post
How many miles did you put on the remans??
The first reman under warranty had a few thousand miles. I know of 2 other board members that got remans about the same time, all 3 failed within months

The second one, I got about 20-25k on.

The current one came out of the yard, so I have no idea how many miles it had, but I've put about 40k on it.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:51 PM

Princess is on her way down to OT's on Nate's dolly. I've realized that crawling on your back on gravel is not as much fun as I used to think it was...

Also as it turns out, the stock front diff I boasted about having in my basement isn't there...

Working out a couple different options with Tom, I'll let you know what I decide on.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:26 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Princess is on her way down to OT's on Nate's dolly. I've realized that crawling on your back on gravel is not as much fun as I used to think it was...

Also as it turns out, the stock front diff I boasted about having in my basement isn't there...

Working out a couple different options with Tom, I'll let you know what I decide on.
Dosent Ben have a 302 with a T-5?
I'm just sayin!
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 06-06-2011, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxfiles View Post
Dosent Ben have a 302 with a T-5?
I'm just sayin!
You think that would be easier than the other options we discussed??
Old 06-06-2011, 09:11 PM
There's a storm coming.

Quote:
You think that would be easier than the other options we discussed??
Easier, no.
Stupider, yes!

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 06-07-2011, 09:59 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxfiles View Post
Easier, no.
Stupider, yes!
A West Virginian thinks that there is a better solution then putting a small block in a vehicle? I think it may be time for you to turn in your guns, fiddle and get some teeth.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:02 AM
There's a storm coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob View Post
A West Virginian thinks that there is a better solution then putting a small block in a vehicle? I think it may be time for you to turn in your guns, fiddle and get some teeth.
Did I mention "Y g a r p m, f a b!"

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 06-07-2011, 12:52 PM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide View Post
front diff + one of LAN's TCUs....
-Bill
+2 or 3 and the maint on accessible tranny parts while there. I also like the stock cruising RPMs better than any of the other alternatives. (Some seemed to think that you meant calculating speeds by the different tranny ratio RPMS--but I took it as I think you meant it) Love 90 at 3000RPM--just loafing nicely.

If LAN or Level 10 also rebuilt the front diff that would be the long term, but MUCH more expensive option.

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red
(+6 with other members of the family)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

Last edited by lhopp77; 06-07-2011 at 01:02 PM.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:21 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Consider the possibility that you are hard on your car. That clearly isn't why you toasted tranny #5. That was the backwards filter. But the others make me wonder. As such, do whatever you can to make it bullet proof without spending excessive cash. The idea of a new front diff plus LAN's TCU plus LAN's valve body is a really good idea. Now, add high quality gear oil in your diffs and high quality ATF in the tranny. I like Redline. OT likes BG. LAN likes Subaru with the Lubegard additive. Take your pick as I think they are all good options. And then you have the external cooler. If you haven't added one, your probably should. And you probably should go with the lowest flow resistance cooler you can while maintaining good cooling. Plumb it in bypass mode. I have a 10,000 GVW tube and fin cooler. I think 10,000GVW is more than enough and you might even be OK, or better off, with a smaller one. When you get to low GVW, I think tube and fin is better than plate because the flow resistance is lower. I had guys at Summitt Racing verify this for me.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything
Old 06-07-2011, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskymaniac View Post
Consider the possibility that you are hard on your car. That clearly isn't why you toasted tranny #5. That was the backwards filter. But the others make me wonder. As such, do whatever you can to make it bullet proof without spending excessive cash. The idea of a new front diff plus LAN's TCU plus LAN's valve body is a really good idea. Now, add high quality gear oil in your diffs and high quality ATF in the tranny. I like Redline. OT likes BG. LAN likes Subaru with the Lubegard additive. Take your pick as I think they are all good options. And then you have the external cooler. If you haven't added one, your probably should. And you probably should go with the lowest flow resistance cooler you can while maintaining good cooling. Plumb it in bypass mode. I have a 10,000 GVW tube and fin cooler. I think 10,000GVW is more than enough and you might even be OK, or better off, with a smaller one. When you get to low GVW, I think tube and fin is better than plate because the flow resistance is lower. I had guys at Summitt Racing verify this for me.
Dave is anything but hard on his trannies. Took his lego tranny to something like 265k or so before it failed on original fluid no less. 3 of his trannies were jy trannies which all lasted longer than his factory reman pos. He's had a cooler and a proper gauge on it for at least 4 of his trannies. Oh and before you make fun of his lack of t.f. change in the lego. He saved enough to buy all of his trannies by not changing the fluid.

I do think I figured out why OT thinks a 302 is a stupider idea.. he wants a big block.

I just wanna know if he looked hard enough for the dif or if it will turn up eventually.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:43 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob View Post
Dave is anything but hard on his trannies. Took his lego tranny to something like 265k or so before it failed on original fluid no less.
I said to just consider it as a possibility. It is easier to be hard on an SVX tranny than a Legacy tranny, given the power and weight. And the trannies are known to have design deficiencies. Or maybe he just has really bad luck. Still, upgrading the valve body, fluids and TCU programming will only help extend the life...whatever that may be for his current tranny and diff.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything
Old 06-07-2011, 03:20 PM

Tony, I know we never met but I am very easy on my SVX trannies. Most of my autocrossing over the years was either in the Lego or the racer that Ben and I used to have. My SVX does see speed, but it's after smooth acceleration at highway + speeds. It doesn't see hoonage from light to light.
I would assume that most of the failures after the SOA reman's could be partially attributed to the source of the trannies. When you get a unknown transmission from a JY for less than $100 you can't get too upset when it fails after a year. And a few years ago, taking a day to swap it out wasn't a big deal. But at this point, wrestling a lump of aluminum under a car on jack stands no longer appeals to me.

And yes Ben, I looked everywhere... It's not there.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:42 PM
There's a storm coming.

I do think I figured out why OT thinks a 302 is a stupider idea.. he wants a big block.

[/QUOTE]

460 w/C6 FTW!

Might not be to good in the snow.

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 06-07-2011, 07:04 PM

Quote:
And yes Ben, I looked everywhere... It's not there.
It isn't in the bed of the brat is it?