Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > European Forum

Old 01-22-2011, 02:38 PM

Personal import from Japan.

Hi,
I am new to this group, and would like to hear from anyone who has experience of importing an SVX Alcyone for themselves from Japan, using one of the Japanese used car importing agents; any recommendations?
I am hoping to get a `96 or `97 model with the lowest mileage and in the best possible condition.
Thanks.
Old 01-22-2011, 04:36 PM
Phil & Belha

Re: Personal import from Japan.

Haven't imported one ourselves. But we did buy one while it was on the boat and collected it from the docks. I'll tell you what I know in case it helps.

Due to the age of the car, it doesn't need any special testing for importation. You just have to get an MOT and then go to your local DVLA office and fill out a registration form.

If you insure the car using the chassis number and book the MOT in advance then you can, in theory, pick the car up from the docks and drive it to the MOT station and then home, with no tax disc or number plates!

But in practice it's better to trailer it until you've had a chance to check the mechanical condition. The battery will be flat. It may need new tyres, fluids, brake pads etc.

The only modification required to pass MOT is a rear fog light. You can fit an external one or wire up two of the brake lights to a switch. It must be a switch that lights up so you know when it is on.

I made some enquiries about importing a Legacy recently, and the dealer told me recently that there are no cars coming here from Japan at the moment because the exchange rate means it's not cost effective.

Phil.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SE Sports Tourer
1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2 GX Wagon
1988 Subaru Justy J12 SL-II
Old 01-23-2011, 02:19 AM

I know a few people who have imported RX7's from Japan apart from the Yen being high in value which means you pay more for a car. I think Goo-net was the set up they used which by all accounts is good.

Last edited by DJW svx; 01-23-2011 at 02:22 AM.
Old 01-23-2011, 03:57 AM

Phil,

Thank you for the information re. importation, and the link to the Subaru ECU and TCU website also.

Robin.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:57 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delraye View Post
Hi,
I am new to this group, and would like to hear from anyone who has experience of importing an SVX Alcyone for themselves from Japan, using one of the Japanese used car importing agents; any recommendations?
I am hoping to get a `96 or `97 model with the lowest mileage and in the best possible condition.
Thanks.

Heh heh.

What you plan to do is possible, very possible, but there are pitfalls. You need to also put a monetary ceiling on your ambitions, decide what's the most you want to pay, because a '96 or '97 model with the lowest possible mileage and the best possible condition will set you back really serious money. Or it will if you are really serious about "lowest mileage" and "best possible condition"

On the other hand you could actually buy an S4 [the last Japanese model is an S4] for very reasonable money in good condition with mileage in the 80 to 100 K kilometres range.

Most people buy a CD or DVD or book from Amazon as their first Internet purchase, or maybe a concert ticket. My first internet purchase was an Alcyone from Japan. It needed a lot of things fixed when I got to collect it from the docks, the biggest being the gearbox, but when I sorted it all out it never gave a moment's trouble after that. If you plan to buy a really expensive one I would recommend you get an independent agent to check out the car for you in Japan before purchase. Japanese people in general tend to be scrupulously honest, but car dealers seem to be bad eggs everywhere, and it is buyer beware.

One outfit called K-Staff seems to have all the good SVXes left in Japan. If you check their website you will see that they have SVXes that look like they have just left the showroom. They even have one with delivery miles!! However, they value and price these low mileage cars very highly. That is why I say to you, how serious is your wallet about buying a really low kilometres car? If you have the cash to buy a car from these guys you will need an agent. They don't speak Engrish and are not at all happy about selling to a customer abroad. Your agent would need to negotiate, buy and ship for you.

Just FYI, I also concur that the S4 is the correct model to buy. Lovely interior, all the gremlins fixed, nearly all the toys. But. If you could buy the equivalent English car with low miles, you would have a better car at a quarter the money. The Japanese car will have showroom mileage and be utterly immaculate, however, whereas the equivalent English car will have been used. By somebody who enjoys driving.

Japanese cars always have those awful plastic headlights. English cars have proper glass headlights and everything that opens and shuts.

Best of luck with your purchase Robin. I'm looking forward already to seeing what you get.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 01-26-2011, 09:41 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX

Hello Delraye,

I notice that you have a picture of a SAAB Sonnet in you avatar.
Do you own it?
'07 Gray Diamond Pearl Outback XT Ltd..."AH SO"
'05 White Pearl & Silver BAJA Turbo..."AH HA"
'97 Bordeaux Pearl SVX LSi..."SUBYDOO"
'94 White Pearl SVX LSi..."PEARLY"
'92 White Pearl SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."SVXY"
'92 Teal SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."ALCYONE"
'96 Polo Green LSi ... "MIDORI"
'00 Black Dodge VIPER RT-10... "VINNIE"

Engineers do it with precision.
English teachers are novel lovers.

Home: larrysingeriii@comcast.net

SVX FEVER, CATCH IT AT A MEET NEAR YOU !!
Old 01-26-2011, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist View Post
Heh heh.

What you plan to do is possible, very possible, but there are pitfalls. You need to also put a monetary ceiling on your ambitions, decide what's the most you want to pay, because a '96 or '97 model with the lowest possible mileage and the best possible condition will set you back really serious money. Or it will if you are really serious about "lowest mileage" and "best possible condition"

On the other hand you could actually buy an S4 [the last Japanese model is an S4] for very reasonable money in good condition with mileage in the 80 to 100 K kilometres range.

Most people buy a CD or DVD or book from Amazon as their first Internet purchase, or maybe a concert ticket. My first internet purchase was an Alcyone from Japan. It needed a lot of things fixed when I got to collect it from the docks, the biggest being the gearbox, but when I sorted it all out it never gave a moment's trouble after that. If you plan to buy a really expensive one I would recommend you get an independent agent to check out the car for you in Japan before purchase. Japanese people in general tend to be scrupulously honest, but car dealers seem to be bad eggs everywhere, and it is buyer beware.

One outfit called K-Staff seems to have all the good SVXes left in Japan. If you check their website you will see that they have SVXes that look like they have just left the showroom. They even have one with delivery miles!! However, they value and price these low mileage cars very highly. That is why I say to you, how serious is your wallet about buying a really low kilometres car? If you have the cash to buy a car from these guys you will need an agent. They don't speak Engrish and are not at all happy about selling to a customer abroad. Your agent would need to negotiate, buy and ship for you.

Just FYI, I also concur that the S4 is the correct model to buy. Lovely interior, all the gremlins fixed, nearly all the toys. But. If you could buy the equivalent English car with low miles, you would have a better car at a quarter the money. The Japanese car will have showroom mileage and be utterly immaculate, however, whereas the equivalent English car will have been used. By somebody who enjoys driving.

Japanese cars always have those awful plastic headlights. English cars have proper glass headlights and everything that opens and shuts.

Best of luck with your purchase Robin. I'm looking forward already to seeing what you get.

Joe
Words of wisdom there Joe and couldn't agree with you more. Just recently I've been looking through the stock Goo-net offer and from some people I've spoken to they are a really good outfit there are some lovely Vehi-crosses there which are so tempting as well as a large number of SVX's. Just checked the Goo-net system and there is a S4 model for sale plus a very low mileage car at a high price. Also a couple of really nice CXD models like mine in silver as well.

Last edited by DJW svx; 01-26-2011 at 03:19 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:31 PM

Registered SVX

If you want one do it now!

They are not getting any cheaper and nice ones are making more money now than 6 months ago.
Even taking the exchange rate into account and seeing if it becomes more favourable there will be little difference if any in price (cheaper) in the coming months.

DO NOT buy from any of the online auctions, they pretty much have the stock the dealers and traders do not want.

Tradecar is a reasonable website as its dealers and traders are pretty much vetted to be allowed to use the site.

If you need any info or help private message me, I have been importing cars from Japan for over 12 years.

11/94 SVX Alcyone, Mica Black, VL Spec 4WS, 71K Miles, 1 owner from new & was part of a private car collection in Japan.

Nissan R34 Skyline Stagea

91 Lotus Elan SE Turbo

1966 MGB Roadster, Tarten Red, Wire Wheels, Leather, 23K miles from new

You can tell the men from the boys from the speed of their toys.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: