How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-17-2002, 08:04 AM
Tired

Bass sound?

I have been experiencing a sound coming from the rear of the car. After I have been on the road for a while and the car is warmed up I notice a bass sound each time I take off from a standing start. If I could spell out the way it sounds it would be something like a whhoommmp sound.

I also notice this same sound when the car shifts from 1st to 2nd and 3rd to 4th gear. It’s very slight, but noticeable. When I disconnect the resistor I don’t notice the sound between shifts, but I do notice it when I take off.

Something else, when I am driving around 55mph I notice a deep bass sounding vibration.

I had my car aligned Tuesday and asked the guys to check the rear and driveshaft for any slackness. They told me everything was tight.

Any ideas what this might be? Its been doing this for over a couple of years but has gotten more noticeable.

1992 LSl (Black Mica)
1965 Mustang G.T. Fastback
1990 Mustang G.T. Convertible
1986 1/2 Nissan 4x4
2004 Vovlo XC70 (wife's)

Wonderful Wife
Wonderful Son
2 Cats

Incredibly blessed!
Old 10-17-2002, 12:43 PM
SVXCAPE

could it be your exhaust.
Old 10-17-2002, 01:57 PM
Tired

Not sure...

Quote:
Originally posted by SVXCAPE
could it be your exhaust.
I don't think it is but stranger things have happened.

One more tidbit... I noticed that when I hit the brakes while it is slowly moving forward that I hear a similar thump from the same area (rear of car).

I have checked my spare tire and it's tightly bolted down.

Anyone else have any ideas or similar experiance?

Thanks!

1992 LSl (Black Mica)
1986 1/2 Nissan 4x4
2004 Vovlo XC70 (wife's)

Wonderful Wife
Wonderful Son
2 Cats

Incredibly blessed!
Old 10-17-2002, 04:20 PM
*Special* Member

Send a message via AIM to Bwana
Mine does it almost every time when I pull out of my driveway, in reverse or drive. I havent done anything about it, because that's the only time it does it, and it hasnt effected normal driving.
*shrug*
1996 Brilliant Red L (AWD). Bought: 6-14-04 - Sold: 3-3-07 - 15.370 @ 89.65
1992 Claret/black LS #4086 (GF's). Bought: 6-30-04 - Sold: 7-29-07
1994 Pearl White LSi Bought: 2001? Sold: 2004?
Old 10-17-2002, 04:25 PM
SVXCAPE

I just replaced my driveshaft about months ago. The sound / vibration only occured between 10-20 mph, and then it would stop. I don't remember if It felt odd during shifts but the vibration increased with the gas (10-20). I suspected that it was the pilot bearing or center bearing whatever you want to call it, I put the car up on stands and inspected the shaft after removing the heat sheild and did not notice anything out of place. I then pulled the driveshaft and inspected it and that is when I saw the fouled u-joint, it would only swivel in one direction and was completely frozen in the center otherwise (output shaft end). One thing that I did that kind of confirmed my suspicion was to put the fwd fuse in, Immediately afterward the vibration/sound went away, I could still feel the driveshaft wobble just from being pulled along( before I pulled the shaft of course). so I would suggest trying the fuse thing and see what happens if you have awd that is. Sorry to be so long winded, I hope this helps you out some good luck and post back with any questions that you may have.
Old 10-18-2002, 09:48 AM
Tired

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally posted by SVXCAPE
I just replaced my driveshaft about months ago. The sound / vibration only occured between 10-20 mph, and then it would stop. I don't remember if It felt odd during shifts but the vibration increased with the gas (10-20). I suspected that it was the pilot bearing or center bearing whatever you want to call it, I put the car up on stands and inspected the shaft after removing the heat sheild and did not notice anything out of place. I then pulled the driveshaft and inspected it and that is when I saw the fouled u-joint, it would only swivel in one direction and was completely frozen in the center otherwise (output shaft end). One thing that I did that kind of confirmed my suspicion was to put the fwd fuse in, Immediately afterward the vibration/sound went away, I could still feel the driveshaft wobble just from being pulled along( before I pulled the shaft of course). so I would suggest trying the fuse thing and see what happens if you have awd that is. Sorry to be so long winded, I hope this helps you out some good luck and post back with any questions that you may have.
Don't worry about being long winded. I see if I can narrow it down to the drive shaft.

1992 LSl (Black Mica)
1986 1/2 Nissan 4x4
2004 Vovlo XC70 (wife's)

Wonderful Wife
Wonderful Son
2 Cats

Incredibly blessed!