Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-18-2009, 03:45 PM
look like a leprechaun to me

Valve cover gaskets - How the F do you get the cover back in place??

I'm attempting to do my valve cover gaskets...this might be a dumb question, but how the hell do you get the drivers' side valve cover back in place? There doesn't seem to be enough clearance around the cam gears to get it back in there. And the f*$#ing gasket keeps falling out of it. I had a ***** of a time pulling it out too. This is pissing me off to no end.

Are there any tricks for getting it back in there with the gasket still on it?
Old 07-18-2009, 04:24 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Valve cover gaskets - How the F do you get the cover back in place??

It's a puzzle.

On my wife's svx I actually jacked the engine up slightly and then it slid right in.
On mine I just had to maneuver it quite a bit and then it finally fit.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 07-18-2009, 04:26 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX

It's one of those things that you fight with for 2 hours, then it finally just falls into place. I put a dab of silicon in the corners to hold the gasket in place.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 07-18-2009, 06:02 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by immortal_suby View Post
It's a puzzle.

On my wife's svx I actually jacked the engine up slightly and then it slid right in.
On mine I just had to maneuver it quite a bit and then it finally fit.
This is good advice, use a block of wood between the bottom of the oil pan and the jack. Also as Chris said you should have some gasket silicone on the corners anyways, many here have had bad leaks on the corners right after install if they didnt use the silicone, and it will help the gasket stay put. As fun as the VC gaskets are, you dont want to do them twice.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 07-18-2009, 06:13 PM
Collision Refinishing Tech

Registered SVX

Did you use the how to on this I have? I mentioned as Crazy Pilot said to use silicone on the corners.
Mods:AWD conversion/4.44 swap by Budfreak, Custom red interior lights, Custom Satin black dash, Power mode switch, Cold air intake, Permecool tranny filter,Sony xplode 10" sub, Sony xplode 1000w amp, Blitz in-line driver, DDM Tuning 6000k HID's, New paint job/body work by me, 97' Grill, QC shift kit, 17'' MB Motoring rims, 15&20 min mod, front & rear urethane swaybar bushings, Custom fiberglass sub box, Custom red led a/c control unit, perrin lightweight crank pulley, Black wrinkle finish powdercoated intake manifold w/ clear hoses , 02' outback heated/power black leather seats
Soon to come:Fiberglass hood, upholster ALL suede to black leather
Past subies:

92' Pearl White/black top LS-L-SOLD
96' Legacy Outback-TOTALED
99' Legacy Outback Limited 30th anniversary edition-TOTALED
98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
99' Forester S -WRX brake upgrade, soon an 04 wrx motor swap
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 07-18-2009, 07:12 PM
look like a leprechaun to me

Ugh, what a nightmare. Thanks for the tips all. I fought with it forever, and it finally went - but in the process of trying to get it in place, I tore the gasket a little. I bolted it up anyway, in the hope that it would seal but of course it's dripping now. And tomorrow is Sunday, so I can't even get a new gasket. Now I'm really glad I got my BMW back on the road a couple weeks ago, otherwise I'd be SOL for a ride to work on Monday.

I used the how-to, it was very helpful for everything, except I just couldn't get that stupid cover back on. I tried the silicone in the corners, but it fell out anyway. I think I may have used too much. I ended up just putting the damn cover in place with the gasket all falling out of it, and then once it was sort of in the proper position, I went around with my fingers and pushed the gasket into the groove just before pushing it into place and bolting it up.

Now I have to get a new gasket, and do it all over again when I can get to it. Won't be for 3 weeks at the earliest