How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 04-04-2008, 11:55 AM

Registered SVX
Arrow Paint Matching

I have a Brand New unpainted OEM left fender that I need painted for my 96 Polo. So I call the guy I know at the body shop, tell him the paint code is #517 for Polo Green. He says it doesnt work that way, that there could be several different variations of that green from different paint distributors. He tells me he needs a piece of my car to send to paint distributor so they can properly match the color. Ive never heard of this. He wants me to take my gas door off. I said no way, thats retarded. Whats the purpose of having a paint code number, if I still have to give up a piece of my car to get the right paint match. Can someone clarify this for me, and is this Stooge telling me the truth or what?
Old 04-04-2008, 12:00 PM
242,000 mi on oem trans

Registered SVX
Any good autobody supply house will have a scanner that will electronically color-match your car's actual color. From there you can have paint made into a spray can, or a quart to have your fender resprayed.

Now you still have to take the car to the store for the scan, but it will be a perfect match.
Current Stable By Age:
'89 Subaru XT6 Silver "Audrey" as in Hepburn
'96 SVX LSi #767Brilliant Red "Lil Red" Now on the front burner. Looking for a totalled, but running parts car.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:12 PM

Registered SVX
Arrow Thanks

Thanks for clarifying that for me Crazyhorse! Shouldnt all reputable body shops have a paint scanner. This guy has been in Autobody industry for 20 years, you think hed know about this, or maybe hes not interested in painting my fender.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:14 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVXyGirl Send a message via Yahoo to SVXyGirl
Registered SVX
The best way to explain...

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess View Post
Euro Sport, one of the premier bodyshops in the Baltimore area, uses this system, a sort of spectrum analyzer, which gave the EXACT color of what was needed, whether the paint was brand new or 5 years old. It is also used for matching custom- blended paint jobs

Don, the owner of Euro Sport, said something like this to me (substituting SVX for Acura)

"Let's say I took a green SVX off of the assembly line at 9am, and an identical one off the assembly line at noon. I park them next to each other and they look identical in every way... Now let's say I swap doors between the two cars. There will be a difference, however slight, and it will show up."

That's why he used this technology as it was a lot less hassle and no returns. He said to me, "I don't care what color the factory says your car is... I care about what color YOUR car is"
92 Claret SVX LS-L (180k) 09/91 #5,732
06 Suzuki Boulevard M50 7k
68 Cadillac Coupe DeVille (70k) Storage/hibernation for now.

Past SVXs:
94 SVX Emerald Pearl FWD (Sold)
96 SVX Bourdeaux LSi (Sold)
92 Pearl SVX LSL "Stay Puft" 5MT (140k) #148 (RIP)
95 Brilliant Red SVX LS (162k) 12/94 #564 "Killer Tomato" (RIP)

Old 04-04-2008, 02:43 PM
Im REALLY addicted! CANT STOP!

Send a message via MSN to mysvxrocks Send a message via Yahoo to mysvxrocks
If you need anymore help, you could ask nextse7en, he got my fender matched for me. And it looks PERFECT

2006 Infra-Red Ford Focus ZX3 ~ 67k

No longer SVX'n, Ill always miss them!

1995 Polo Green LS-i ~ 95k
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~ 145k (04/91) #2231
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
Old 04-04-2008, 04:23 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
strange..I guess they dont mix their paint in house. If its local enough, drop by, have them do some color research, and then leave them the fender to paint. Or, find a better body shop
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 04-04-2008, 06:57 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVX92-97 View Post
I have a Brand New unpainted OEM left fender that I need painted for my 96 Polo. So I call the guy I know at the body shop, tell him the paint code is #517 for Polo Green. He says it doesnt work that way, that there could be several different variations of that green from different paint distributors. He tells me he needs a piece of my car to send to paint distributor so they can properly match the color. Ive never heard of this. He wants me to take my gas door off. I said no way, thats retarded. Whats the purpose of having a paint code number, if I still have to give up a piece of my car to get the right paint match. Can someone clarify this for me, and is this Stooge telling me the truth or what?
Whats the purpose of having a paint code number, if I still have to give up a piece of my car to get the right paint match?

It's called perfectionism.

I think the guy you are talking to is being square and fair with you. It is easy peasy to take off the fuel flap. He sends the flap and the code to the paint distributor/mixer. They spectrum analyse the fuel door. They know from the code what the mix is supposed to be.

If the spectrum analyser says the correct color for you is a little different, they adjust the mix.

End result? A perfect match.

I would be pleased if a paint shop asked me that question.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 04-04-2008, 10:37 PM
Now with more color

Send a message via Yahoo to subi-crosser
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:

The BEST match is PPG. It is also one of the most EXPEN$IVE paints for general refinishers.

"Can't go to work today. The 'voices' said to "Stay home and clean the guns".

Most famous Red-Neck last words...
" Hey Everybody, Watch This!!)

http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn272/subi-crosser/
Jerry
Old 04-04-2008, 10:40 PM
Now with more color

Send a message via Yahoo to subi-crosser
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
Thanks for clarifying that for me Crazyhorse! Shouldnt all reputable body shops have a paint scanner. This guy has been in Autobody industry for 20 years, you think hed know about this, or maybe hes not interested in painting my fender.

Yea, They have them, so WE don't have to BUY one! It is still up to the guy that MIXES the formula to GET IT RIGHT!
When they scanned the ol' work truck, it matched perfectly. When it was something that really MATTERED, it SUCKED and we had to buy PPG to get it right.

( It helps to BUFF the part that is being scanned so the crud doesn't get scanned too!)

"Can't go to work today. The 'voices' said to "Stay home and clean the guns".

Most famous Red-Neck last words...
" Hey Everybody, Watch This!!)

http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn272/subi-crosser/
Jerry

Last edited by subi-crosser; 04-04-2008 at 10:43 PM.
Old 03-29-2009, 03:00 PM
Imagine...

Re: Paint Matching

What type of paint is on our cars? Lacquer, acrylic enamel, imron, deltron ???
Old 03-29-2009, 03:41 PM

I had a complete body restoration done, and Steve told me the same thing. He took a large paint chip from the old, and sent it to PPG. The match was correct. Although the lady that had it before me changed the color through her own choice or through a mistake by the privious body shop, (she got into a fender bender and had the entire car painted) it's a great match. My question is; my engine compartment is a diffrent color from the rest of the car. There must be a primer color that they paint, (say 500 cars), then the outer color using the same color respectively.
I'll accept the results, although the orginal color should have been Bordeaux pearl.

boi
Old 03-29-2009, 05:06 PM
Collision Refinishing Tech

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by subi-crosser View Post
The BEST match is PPG. It is also one of the most EXPEN$IVE paints for general refinishers.
Agreed. This is what I mix at work. Some colors will have different color variants for example paint code TS for Ford has Prime, Angle lighter, bluer face/darker angle, these are all the same silver color but if you have the chips side by side you can see a big difference. I've also sent out some gas doors to PPG for the colors that suck like Ice blue ans they are a dead on match.
Mods:AWD conversion/4.44 swap by Budfreak, Custom red interior lights, Custom Satin black dash, Power mode switch, Cold air intake, Permecool tranny filter,Sony xplode 10" sub, Sony xplode 1000w amp, Blitz in-line driver, DDM Tuning 6000k HID's, New paint job/body work by me, 97' Grill, QC shift kit, 17'' MB Motoring rims, 15&20 min mod, front & rear urethane swaybar bushings, Custom fiberglass sub box, Custom red led a/c control unit, perrin lightweight crank pulley, Black wrinkle finish powdercoated intake manifold w/ clear hoses , 02' outback heated/power black leather seats
Soon to come:Fiberglass hood, upholster ALL suede to black leather
Past subies:

92' Pearl White/black top LS-L-SOLD
96' Legacy Outback-TOTALED
99' Legacy Outback Limited 30th anniversary edition-TOTALED
98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
99' Forester S -WRX brake upgrade, soon an 04 wrx motor swap
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 03-29-2009, 05:25 PM

If I'm not mistaken the fuel door is plastic and could be a problem if your trying to match for a metal surface. The paint code is just a starting point for the painter. Color matching equipment is great but it comes down to spraying a test panel and the painters eye and years of experience to adjust the color.
Old 03-29-2009, 06:21 PM
Collision Refinishing Tech

Registered SVX

The fuel doors metal.
Mods:AWD conversion/4.44 swap by Budfreak, Custom red interior lights, Custom Satin black dash, Power mode switch, Cold air intake, Permecool tranny filter,Sony xplode 10" sub, Sony xplode 1000w amp, Blitz in-line driver, DDM Tuning 6000k HID's, New paint job/body work by me, 97' Grill, QC shift kit, 17'' MB Motoring rims, 15&20 min mod, front & rear urethane swaybar bushings, Custom fiberglass sub box, Custom red led a/c control unit, perrin lightweight crank pulley, Black wrinkle finish powdercoated intake manifold w/ clear hoses , 02' outback heated/power black leather seats
Soon to come:Fiberglass hood, upholster ALL suede to black leather
Past subies:

92' Pearl White/black top LS-L-SOLD
96' Legacy Outback-TOTALED
99' Legacy Outback Limited 30th anniversary edition-TOTALED
98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
99' Forester S -WRX brake upgrade, soon an 04 wrx motor swap
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 03-30-2009, 01:13 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX

Seth is right, the fuel lid is metal. That is also a good reason to give it to the paint mixer guys, properly buffed as Gerry says. It's easy to remove and you've a better chance of getting the match perfect.

Boi, the undercoat sprayed in the trunk and engine areas is always different than the finished coat. It's generally done with a primer that has the middle color coat in it, but has a satin or dull finish to it. Car painters are aware of this, and a good one will just mix up the correct primer for you if you need these areas covered.

I have seen people do up complete car restorations from the metal. Because the shell is completely stripped they give the whole car the final color, just because they can, and they want to do a good job. When refitted and rebuilt the car looks false and overdone because the engine area in particular looks "too clean". If you want it to look like ex factory, best to stick to how it was originally sprayed.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl