How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-01-2007, 03:25 PM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX
All I know is, that my car has never been the same after I installed the stage1 chip. I replaced everything possible but I still have bad gas mileage. My personal opinion to new SVX owners: keep the car original.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:50 PM

Classic SVX
I was considering doing the stage 1 upgrade but I think that I might hold off for now.
Old 03-01-2007, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannmarr
All I know is, that my car has never been the same after I installed the stage1 chip. I replaced everything possible but I still have bad gas mileage. My personal opinion to new SVX owners: keep the car original.
I got my stage 1v5 instaled last week together wit 5mt Swap and my MPG went from 13 to 17 city,so i'm happy

My Locker

Bart
Old 03-02-2007, 04:48 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
I used to get 20-21 for a combination of short runs and long-ish runs [fully warmed up for 10 miles +]

Your US gallons are smaller than ours, but your miles are the same length, so you could probably expect below 20 all other factors being equal.

I think you have a number of problems. First you should check the plugs as Norman says, and if bad or dirty replace all six.

Second, you are having a problem with your O2's that is intermittent. At the age of the car, you should replace both. Remember the engine computer [ECU] uses the signal from the O2s to decide how rich or lean the engine should go. If they are not correct or consistent, you will be running rich and wasting fuel.

You could also invest in some injector cleaner additive, that is cheap and could make your car run sweet [you did mention a rough start?]

Probably the biggest waster of fuel, you are most likely doing a lot of city driving, short runs in cold conditions. Your engine never gets a chance to warm up to optimum temperature. While in the motor factors, you should get Water Wetter additive for your coolant [when was the last time you flushed and replaced the coolant?]. You should also consider blanking off the cold air from 30% of your radiator while the cold weather lasts. I would if I had your weather.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 03-02-2007, 07:36 AM

Help

By chance, is there anyone in or around Littleton or Greeley, that would be able to help me replace my spark plugs or O2 sensors this weekend. I know it's really short notice, but I'm not sure I know how to do them, and firestone wants $270 for the spark plug replacement, so I'm not going to go there, but they usually have the best prices around me.

I really wanted to get things done this weekend, because I actually have time and will be at both houses (more possible help), so if anybody is willing, please let me know ASAP.

'92 LS-L, exhaust, intake, audio, ecu 1V4?, hyper ground kit.
Next changes ... PAINT, fix engine problems, 4.44. (GONE)

'97 Impreza Outback Sport, magnaflow muffler, cold air intake, Alpine Type S, MP3/iPod deck, NGK wires, etc.(GONE)
Old 03-02-2007, 10:46 AM

Spark Plug Replacement Help

I took a look at the how-to on spark plug replacement, and it looks a tiny bit beyond my reach. I don't have time to spend "several hours" on it, but i would be able to offer a favorite beverage to someone to help me do it in the 30 minutes the document says is possible.

Any takers? I would like to do it this weekend but am available other times as well. I will only be able to be in littleton this weekend or a couple weeks from now though. the rest of the time I am in Greeley.

'97 Impreza Outback Sport, magnaflow muffler, cold air intake, Alpine Type S, MP3/iPod deck, NGK wires, etc.(GONE)
Old 03-03-2007, 01:19 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
The plugs really are easy. They are only a problem if you have huge hands or a huge wrench. Only the 6th plug is difficult to get at, but if you aren't afraid of bruising your hands a little it's no big deal.

What I (you) would (should) do is do all the "easy" ones yourself, right away. There is nothing wrong with running old and new plugs unless they are different temp ranges.

If you get someone to help you with o2s, have them attack the 5th or 6th plugs.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 03-03-2007, 01:34 PM

I took a look at them yesterday. I was going to look at #4 but i couldn't figure out how to get the red thing off after i pulled out the two phillips screws and took off that one metal boot thingy. I would have posted a picture but i didnt have my camera or my computer.

does anyone also have any suggestions for what kind of plugs to get as replacements. I would probably do all 6 at once, so i shouldn't have to worry about running new and old. but any help would still be helpful.

Old 03-03-2007, 01:45 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Dunno what you mean by red thing.

Platinums are standard and good for 60k. No reason to get anything else. I run NGK Iridiums. They run just a tad cooler than stock but unless you are using NOS or boosting I don't see any need for them. It might even hurt mpg.

When I did my plugs the first time I noticed one of them was burned and the boot was damaged. Just something to look for.
I think the burn was caused by some black tape used to cover the cracked boot.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:57 PM

milage

check your tire pressure? sound silly but they affect milage.... my 2 cents