How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-29-2002, 01:02 PM
cameron72582

All of my SVX problems :(

I already posted the one about my steering column not locking. Now we can get to the real problems.

1. I have a front end problem. The car seems to wobble in front at slow speeds(it's very suttle but I can feel it) When I get around 60 mph, myy steering wheel vibrates to a varying degree. I took it to a wheel shop to have the tires rotated/aligned etc. They told me that i needed a whole new front rack. I didn't think they knew what they were talking about. Could it just be the tie rods? ..................In related news. When I turn at slow speeds I hear a vibrating sound coming from the front end. I assume that this is due to the same problem that is causing the wobble/vibration.

2. My ABS light comes on at times. The breaks seem fine, but a few times they break, then give a bit and vibrate to a lower position when I push them. Anyone else had this problem?

3. My power steering is weak. i had the fluid checked and it's full. What is the next most common area I need to check. Hoses? Please let me know.

Needless to say, I don't drive my car anymore. I'm trying to get enough money together to fix the problems.

Any advice that you could give would be great.

Thanks

cameron
Old 05-29-2002, 02:06 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Re: All of my SVX problems :(

Quote:
Originally posted by cameron72582
I already posted the one about my steering column not locking. Now we can get to the real problems.

1. I have a front end problem. The car seems to wobble in front at slow speeds(it's very suttle but I can feel it) When I get around 60 mph, myy steering wheel vibrates to a varying degree. I took it to a wheel shop to have the tires rotated/aligned etc. They told me that i needed a whole new front rack. I didn't think they knew what they were talking about. Could it just be the tie rods? ..................In related news. When I turn at slow speeds I hear a vibrating sound coming from the front end. I assume that this is due to the same problem that is causing the wobble/vibration.

2. My ABS light comes on at times. The breaks seem fine, but a few times they break, then give a bit and vibrate to a lower position when I push them. Anyone else had this problem?

3. My power steering is weak. i had the fluid checked and it's full. What is the next most common area I need to check. Hoses? Please let me know.

Needless to say, I don't drive my car anymore. I'm trying to get enough money together to fix the problems.

Thanks

cameron
Check your ball joint.

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 05-29-2002, 04:12 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Two outa three ain't bad

You should get someone in your area that has an SVX, or knows them, to take a look.

Lwin is probably on track with the balljoint, you are on the same line with the tie rods. Park the car on a flat grippy surface, eg, concrete garage floor. Get a friend to help. Grip the right and left of the front wheel. Push-pull it from side to side, see if it is willing to move. If the wheel moves, and your steering wheel doesn't, that is your problem side. You need the friend to tell you if the steering wheel is moving.

Your other problems might be a manifestation of the same thing. If the O ring between the steering fluid reservoir and the pump is damaged, it can cause the problems you describe. Check that your power steering fluid is Dexron II. It is meant to have ATF like the gearbox. You will know this by the smell[rotten!] and the colour, pink. Replace it with the proper stuff when you are doing the O ring. This will probably sort out the weak power steering, and the vibrating sound you are hearing at slow turns.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 05-29-2002, 04:14 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Thumbs up Just noticed

Only two posts! you are welcome to the club Cameron.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 05-29-2002, 10:06 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Stevebsy Send a message via Yahoo to Stevebsy
Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: All of my SVX problems :(

Look Here

<-----

Give me a call (590-2536) and I'll take a peek at it, see if I can help you out. We could swap my extra set of wheels on for a test drive. Might rule out the tires/rims and a problem anyway.

Quote:
Originally posted by cameron72582

Thanks

cameron

Custom Oil Caps, Battery Bars, Phenolic Spacers for sale here:
http://www.x35design.com
Old 05-29-2002, 11:07 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Re: Re: All of my SVX problems :(

Quote:
Originally posted by Stevebsy
Look Here

<-----

Give me a call (590-2536) and I'll take a peek at it, see if I can help you out. We could swap my extra set of wheels on for a test drive. Might rule out the tires/rims and a problem anyway.

Everytime I see this, I get tears in my eye It sure is great to have a network of people with the same SPECIAL car.

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 05-30-2002, 02:31 PM
cameron72582

wow

you people rock.

I will call you, and see if you can help me out. That's the problem with this car, I can never find anyone around who knows what they are talking about. Alot of 'professional' repairmen try to use the rariety of the car to raise their costs, and it's really frustrating. And most of them have never been onder the hood of an SVX to begin with.

Thanks again.

Cameron