Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-30-2003, 01:42 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
Suspension Clunk... Possible cause, question about brakes

Should there be freeplay on the sliding pin of the caliper? I tightened EVERYTHING, and I still have a 'clunky' loose feeling. If I grab the caliper, I can wiggle it slightly, there is a bit of free play on the upper slide pin; the caliper moves a bit back and forth. I'm guessing that this is what is causing the noise....

So should it be 'wobbly' there? If not, how do I fix such a thing? Grease? Anti-squeal compound? New caliper? Ducttape?

- Rob
Old 06-30-2003, 02:07 PM

Rob,

I had the exact same symptoms. In my case I found the locating pin in the caliper had loosened somehow. To fix it I took out the fixing bolt, swung the caliper up and off, then tightened down the locating pin (mine needed almost a half turn), then put it all back together. You have to pull loose/off the rubber shield, and there's a 10 or 12 mm sized part at the base of the pin you use to tighten it. Amazing what just a little bit of pin looseness can do. Squeals went away, etc. Good luck - if this is your problem the only cost is a bit of time.
Old 06-30-2003, 02:29 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

I guess I'm not QUITE clear what you mean. Locating pin? My calipers have ONE bolt that holds them down. I take the bolt out, it swings upward. That bolt??? I tightened the bejesus outta that one.

- Rob
Old 06-30-2003, 03:15 PM

Sorry, I'm not too good with words/explanations. But I'm trying to explain to check the tightness of the pin that the caliper rotates up on after you take out the bolt. I also tried to tighten the heck out of the bolt and the caliper still wobbled.

I'll try again. Take out the bolt, rotate the caliper up enough to slide the caliper off the pin it rotates on. The pin has a rubber sleeve where it goes into the fixed part that holds the caliper in pace at the disk. Move the sleeve enough and you can see the hex-head to use to tighten down the pin itself. If this is your problem you will be able to turn the pin, I could and it was about a half-turn loose. I don't know what the torque figure for the pin is, but I snugged it down good then put the whole thing back together and the caliper wobble was gone.
Old 07-01-2003, 01:35 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

AhhH! Thanks man! I'll try it tomorrow and report back!

- Rob
Old 07-01-2003, 10:42 PM

Same here. Thanks! I was wondering why my damn brakes were still squeaking and clunking after anti-squeal gel and stripping bolts from tightening them so hard.

Last edited by DavieGravy; 07-01-2003 at 11:09 PM.
Old 07-02-2003, 05:16 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

That bolt that holds the calipher is not very big and the torque is pretty low. It also tends to corrode and get get stuck over time. What did you replace it with after the threads pulled out?
Old 07-02-2003, 02:50 PM

Both pins seemed tight. Although I attempted to tighten them more. So far, I don't hear an clunking but they still squeek.
Old 07-03-2003, 02:01 AM

Could it be this?

I've tried everything to get rid of the clunking and squeeking. The first time, I took the pads off and cleaned both the pads and rotors. Squeek, grind, vibrate, clunk.

The second time, I just made sure the pivot bolt and the two other bolts were as tight as I could get them. Squeek, grind, vibrate, clunk.

The third time, I took the pads off and applied anti squeek gel to the backing of all 4 pads. Squeek, grind, vibrate, clunk.

The fourth time I tried this pin trick. Squeek, grind, vibrate, and clunking is starting to come back.

It seems as though every time I screw with my brakes, the clunking sound goes away temporarily, then starts getting progressively worse with time. Then I screw with my brakes some more, the clunking goes away again, then gets worse with time. You get the drift.

I didn't hear the clunk noise today, but have started hearing a hint of clunking tonight. I'm guessing it will get worse with time. Just a get feeling.

Could this have something to do with the brake cylindars becomming "sticky," allowing the caliper to flop around? Is that possible?

Last edited by DavieGravy; 07-03-2003 at 02:16 AM.