How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 12-23-2002, 06:32 AM
casper150

tranny problems

i took my svx to the dealer today because i couldnt get it to shift normal..well they said before looking at it , its probibly the tranny..but what im wondering, does the tranny just go out in one day, compleatly? i mean, in the morning when its still cold, it shifts normal, no problems..but then after about 30 mins, i hear a buzzing sound, and the shifting gets a little worse, and then is unable to hold a gear at all. i can shift between all gears, fwd and back, and i feel no change..but if i shut the car off for just a second, and restart, it will be ok for a few mins.also the fluid isnt burnt at all...i was wondering if the tranny oil pump went bad, looks like it would do the same thing.
Old 12-23-2002, 07:37 AM

well, a couple of disclaimers.

I'm far from being a tranny expert.
Remote diagnosis is always difficult.

that said, here's a guess from me based on two things you said:
1. works when cold
2. noise when it starts to fail.

Sounds like you may have enough clutch material, etc in the pan to be plugging the internal filter. When it gets cold all the gunk will fall to the bottom. When you start, it begins to suck up the debris and eventually clogs, shutting off fluid flow.

You may choose to wait for a more knowledgeable person to jump in here, but for me, I'd try a filter replacement and fluid change, paying attention to any sludge in the pan.

If it is clutch material, then you probably will be needing a rebuild soon anyway, changing the fluid/filter may delay the inevitable.
Old 12-23-2002, 08:29 AM
casper150

ok, heres one more thing, since i have owned the car, i changed it once, and about 2 months later, the dealer changed it when they fixed the awd clutches...so thats 2 times one year
Old 12-23-2002, 08:35 AM

was that a drain and refill, or drop the pan and clean it and replace the filter? If it was the latter, then i'm out of suggestions, need somebody with more experience.
Old 12-24-2002, 12:23 AM
casper150

it was the second!