Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 12-13-2002, 10:14 AM
Bruno Valente

Question Strong Vibration

Dear friends,

This is my first entry as a member of this club and so I would like to introduce myself. My name is Bruno Valente, I´m 45, borned in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, love surfing as well as my SVX. My native language is Portuguese, so please apologize my mistakes. Professionally, I´ve been working for 22 years for VARIG Airlines, an international Brazilian airline. On the first years I´ve worked as an aircraft Structure Engineer then because of my professional growth in the company getting new responsabilities and some managing positions, I decided to go back to the university and study a few more years to graduate myself in Business Administration. During this years at the university I was
"introduced to the marketing world" and finally I found out my vocation. Now a days I´m the marketing manager of VARIG Engineering & Maintenance, the MRO (maintenance repair & overhaul) company of VARIG Airlines.

Regarding my SVX history it is important to explain that in Brazil there are only 17 of this beauties. Here in Rio de Janeiro there are 5 counting mine. Another important detail is the large amount we have to pay in taxes to have a new imported car in this country.
When I first saw a SVX in a car exhibition in 1992 it was like love at first sight, but the price at that time was $120,000.00. It was something I really couldn´t afford.
Another very important matter here in Brazil is the fact that there are very few Subaru´s dealers, in Rio there are only two and there is no way to thrust on there service, specially for me, with all my professional life focused on aircraft maintenance.
The years passed and the passion for the car stayed. Since last year (2001) I decided to look for a good one to buy. I knew all the four ones in Rio, a burgundy model 1992, another 1992 black and two silver one 93 and a 94. All this models with little differences from the American model because they were imported from Japan. Unfortunately the black one had a serious damage in an accident and was very bad rebuilt. The silvers werent on sale and the burgundy one was in bad condition. After lots of search in other states, on June of this year I got a call from a friend in São Paulo regarding a white one on sale. I went there to see the car and it was 1993 in very good shape. The white models only came to Brazil in 1993 imported from the U.S.. The only negative point was that I really hate white cars. I bought it in spite of the color and the few problems I met. It was like a dream coming true. I brought it to Rio and took it to a mechanic friend of mine who worked in the past at a Subaru dealer to check up the car. After the check I took it to a specialized painting shop which completely disassembled the body and turned the paint into blue.

It is going to be very nice to take part on this group specially to exchange experiences and to get some help for the maintenance of my SVX. As I´ve said there is no possibility to thrust on the Subaru dealers over here.
At this moment I have a vibration problem which I cannot find out the origin. Maybe I can have some good tocken about it.
The vibration occur when ever the car is being accelerated. During constant speed it desappear completely. Iwas thinking on the engine mounts (rubber parts).
Do you think you can help me giving some light?

Rgards to all

Bruno Valente
Old 12-13-2002, 11:15 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Smile Welcome Bruno!

Hi Bruno

Great to hear from an owner in Brazil. We have members in quite a few places now. You are very welcome on the board, and I am pretty sure someone here will be able to help with any problems you have.

Regards the vibration, you may need to give more description, but I will offer a guess as to the likely cause. Transmission is most likely. First guess is you have a broken rubber mount where the transmission is mounted to the body. This can cause the transmission to move under torque, get out of line with the rear driveshaft, and cause said vibration.

Guess #2 would be a worn CV[constant velocity] joint on one of the front driveshafts. However, you can check if this is a problem by looking to see if the rubber boot on either shaft is damaged. This would cause lubricant loss, and damage. If one is damaged, you will hear a clunking noise when turning on full lock in a car park.

Check these first, rubber mount cracked is the most likely cause.

Joe

PS you have probably just wounded half of the cognoscenti here by saying you hate white cars. Keep your head down.
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 12-13-2002, 11:38 AM
Bruno Valente

Wink Strong Vibration

Thank´s Joe for the quick reply and welcome. I´ll stop "The Beauty" next week and check out your suggestions.

Regarding the "wounded" possibility I just mentioned this because of the coincidence. The only car I found out was exactly with the color I like less (hate).

have a wonderful weekend, regards,

Bruno
Old 12-13-2002, 11:56 AM

hello, and welcome to the network. does the vibration come when you brake from like 40mph and over? mine was the rotors which were warped. i can't offer much info, because all i really know is about experiences that i have had. i wish you luck with your car, post pics, we would love to see her!

Kelli
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
owner of the new 1992 LS-L Pearl "Susie"
I am a pessimistic optimistic. I think the worst is going to happen, that way when it does, i don't feel as bad, but if the best happens, i am twice as happy.
Old 12-13-2002, 04:36 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Hello Bruno and welcome

I'm sorry to hear of your troubles but I'm glad to hear of your fondness for the SVX. Thanks for telling us about the limited number of SVX's in Brazil. I'm glad you were able to find one! Don't worry about the commenst about the white color, I don't like them either.

As far as the vibration is concerned, I dont think that it is the motor mounts. Is the noise located in the front or the rear? Left side or right? Does it happen when the car is parked but you depress the accelerator?

Todd
Old 12-13-2002, 07:08 PM
dart

Re: Strong Vibration

The vibration occur when ever the car is being accelerated. During constant speed it desappear completely. Iwas thinking on the engine mounts (rubber parts).

Hello Bruno,

I had similar symptoms on a high mileage SVX which turned out to be the front U-joint on the driveshaft assembly.
(The driveshaft to the rear differential). Its a 2 piece driveshaft
that I replaced with a junkyard piece for about $100.00 US
Good luck with your diagnosis.

dart
Old 12-13-2002, 10:18 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
I agree, vibrations only occuring when accelerating almost always point to bad universal joints or worn inner c.v. joints.

Welcome to the network!
Old 12-13-2002, 11:39 PM

Registered SVX
Welcome from way down under

Bruno you impress me greatly as you have come right out and told us all so much about yourself. As a result you have made many friends here I am sure.

Just keep on feeding Beav with detailed information and he WILL be able to give you the very best of HONEST ACCURATE advice.

Stay with us and keep posting we are here to help.

Sincere best wishes, Trevor.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 12-15-2002, 01:14 AM
I_Alcyone_I

Re: Welcome Bruno!

Quote:
Originally posted by svxistentialist
in a car park.
Man, you guys from europe can make anything sound luxurious.
Old 12-15-2002, 11:35 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Re: Re: Welcome Bruno!

Quote:
Originally posted by I_Alcyone_I

Man, you guys from europe can make anything sound luxurious.
Hey, I meant parking lot, but you knew that, and you're just joshin' me right?

White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 12-16-2002, 03:58 AM
Bruno Valente

Smile Strong Vibration

Hi Kelli,

Today when I turned on the computer and read the e-mails I was very happy to see several replies from the SVX members club.

Thank you from your welcome and reply. This kind of things make you feel stronger.

Going back to the problem. It is the following. I will try to split in parts.
1- During the first drive of the day the vibration start after a few miles. It looks like it is necessary some heat to turn the rubber mounts softer.
2- There is no noise, only vibration.
3- The vibration shows up only during acceleration and some times when the car is disaccelerating.
4- Good example - The other day I was driving in a freeway, going on a constant speed of 120 mph. A BMW past me faster I decided to catch him and when I pusshed the power the strong vibration started.
5- There is no vibration on steering wheel, no vibration during brakes. When the vibration occurs you can feel it under the seat or seeing it at the back of the other seat.

Today I´ll be checking the engine rubber mounts.

Best regards,

Bruno
Old 12-16-2002, 04:07 AM
Bruno Valente

Smile Strong Vibration

Hi Todd,

Thanks for the reply and welcome.
Regarding the problem, there is no noise, only vibration.

Let me discribe a few symptoms;

1- During the first drive of the day the vibration start after a few miles. It looks like it is necessary some heat to turn the rubber mounts softer.
3- The vibration shows up only during acceleration and some times when the car is disaccelerating.
4- Good example - The other day I was driving in a freeway, going on a constant speed of 120 mph. A BMW past me faster I decided to catch him and when I pusshed the power the strong vibration started.
5- There is no vibration on steering wheel, no vibration during brakes. When the vibration occurs you can feel it under the seat or seeing it at the back of the other seat.

Thanks again for your attention,

Bruno
Old 12-16-2002, 04:13 AM
Bruno Valente

Smile Re: Re: Strong Vibration

Hi Dart,

Thanks for the tip. This will be my next try. Today I´ll be checking the engine rubber mounts.

Bruno
Old 12-16-2002, 04:17 AM
Bruno Valente

Smile Strong Vibration

Hi Beav,

Thank you for the welcome!

Today I´ll be checking the engine rubber mounts.

Just for your thoughts, here it is some of the symptoms;

Great day,

Bruno
Old 12-16-2002, 04:26 AM
Bruno Valente

Smile Strong Vibration making friends

Hi Trevor,

What a nice reception. Thank you for your kind words. It is always nice knowing people and making new friends.

I´ve just followed your tip. I´ve tried to express the symptoms of the car to Beav.

Today I´ll be starting my tries with the engine rubber mounts.

Once more thank you for the welcome and have a wonderful week!

Bruno