SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

View Poll Results: Which car should I buy?
Car #1, Black 92 SVX 1 16.67%
Car #2, Maroon 92 SVX 2 33.33%
Neither, buy the one I have for sale. 3 50.00%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-12-2002, 06:30 PM
No front plate on My SVX

Send a message via MSN to CDG
Help me decide on one of the following SVX's

I have instantly become infatuated with the SVX, so I'm on the search. I've looked at 3 cars, #3 is a backet case, below are the details of #1 and #2.
I've looked thru a lot of the threads and have found a lot of good info to help my search.
It appears that the ideal vehicle would be perfect, but I realize that I'm not going to find that here in Vancouver BC, Canada.
The 2 I have narrowed it down to are both within the same value. Asking $10k CAN
#1:1992 Black SVX LS-L, 158,000 Kms, vin#JF1CX3536NH109607, had an accident, been repaired, other evidence of incidents, not that clean, mechanically very good(wheel bearings, drive line, trany, engine) but AC does not appear to work.
#2:1992 Maroon SVX LS-L, 170,000 Kms,Vin#JF1CX3532NH105327, 2 window claims, 2 minor accidents(cosmetic) and the body is almost perfect, 1 spider dent on the hood from a badly positioned battery(oops), a door ding on the from Quarter panel, and the rear wing was repainted badly(probably part of one of the vandalism claim), but the Trany fluid smells burnt, so it will have to be either replaced(or if I can burn it out myself within the 6month dealer warrantee, it'll be free) and the AC compressor is completely seized, but there is still preasure in the ac system, the CD player doesn't work(what ever), and the rear diff was binding for my first test drive, but after feedback from these threads, and some aggresive driving, the binding went away on my second test drive.

I prefer #2, as I'm not big on black.

I plan to offer $5kCAN and my Acura Legend as a trade, and it looks like they are willing to deal.

I plan to take #2 to a expert in imports(I trust him) to review the entire drive line and the rest of the vehicle, aswell as investigate all the details I've gathered from this and other SVX sites.

I'd like to know any opinions on some other factors I should concider, and if these VIN#'s sound familiar. I realize that #2 has an older vin# meaning it missed the external trany filter update.
And also which car our readers would pick?

I should get some pics for a better perspective, I'll try, weather here in Vancouver is rainy, so pics don't do the cars true justice.

I welcome feedback. Please

Current Ride, 1985 Honda Aero 80, stock 3024 klms
Old 12-13-2002, 09:54 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Stevebsy Send a message via Yahoo to Stevebsy
Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Honestly, for the equivilent of $6k US dollars, neither one looks extremely attractive in my opinion.

#2 sounds like it will need a new tranny soon
#1 sounds a little better, but I'd check into the damage from the accidents.

Be patient and find a good one. I know it's not easy...

Many of us have had to look 1000+ miles from home to find ours (including myself)

How hard it is to import a US car to Canada? I know it is something of a PITA to bring one here from Canada or anywhere else....might be worth looking into.

Custom Oil Caps, Battery Bars, Phenolic Spacers for sale here:
http://www.x35design.com
Old 12-13-2002, 11:11 AM
henryb

I agree with Stevebsy -- neither car sounds that great, but Car #1 sounds better. Also the '92 Black on dark grey leather was only offered in the '92. After '92 the Black had beige leather.

I would be surprised if the dealer would take $5K off for your Legend on a $10K SVX. But you never know! Usually a trade-in gets you almost nothing for the car you are trading in! I would attempt to sell the Legend privately while you continue to look for a nicer SVX.

So my recommendation would be to keep looking. I don't know about Vancouver, but in the Toronto area, there is always a dozen or more for sale in autotrader.ca ... I just checked and there are 11 for sale in Ontario.

There is a nice Silver '92 with 120K for $12 (I looked at it when I was buying mine a month ago), it was very nice... but I wanted a Black beauty!

I know Ontario is a little far for you to go looking for SVX's, but the point is ... that there are alot of them out there in Canada. If you can't find one right now (probably not the best time for people to be selling their cars - right before Christmas) that you should try to be patient and don't settle for something that is less then you expect.

Hope that helps,
Old 12-13-2002, 11:33 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Stevebsy Send a message via Yahoo to Stevebsy
Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
I would buy!

SVXCESSes 92 pearlie for us$4500

See the separate post. It is beautiful! I saw it at the SWN meet at Lafayette. For $4500 it is a steal!

Custom Oil Caps, Battery Bars, Phenolic Spacers for sale here:
http://www.x35design.com
Old 12-13-2002, 11:59 AM

Neither one sounds all that good for the price they are selling, i would hold out and see if you could get a better deal. there are members on here that are selling or going to sell their cars soon, and they are in much better shape. stay away from burnt tranny fluid!!!!

Kelli
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
owner of the new 1992 LS-L Pearl "Susie"
I am a pessimistic optimistic. I think the worst is going to happen, that way when it does, i don't feel as bad, but if the best happens, i am twice as happy.
Old 12-13-2002, 12:31 PM
henryb

It is hard to compare prices between the US and Canada. It seems that in Canada a nice clean '92 goes for around $9K - $12K CDN.

You also have to remember that in Canada SVX's only came one way -- fully loaded with AWD, leather, spoiler, etc. So you may see some of the FWD models in the US going for less money?

But if you can find a great deal on one just over the boarder in Seattle or somewhere nearby... and import procedures aren't a big hassle... and you don't mind the MPH speedo (which is easy enough to change), then go for it!!!
Old 12-13-2002, 12:47 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Cool

I don't like the smell of either one.
Why not wait 'til after Christmas? Then contact Ensteele93 (Earl) just over the border. He just got his third SVX. When the Xmas credit card bills start rolling in, you can bet he'll come to his senses & realize that he can't support three at a time. Two at a time? Well......maybe.
Good luck, Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 12-13-2002, 05:19 PM
No front plate on My SVX

Re: I would buy!

Quote:
Originally posted by Stevebsy
SVXCESSes 92 pearlie for us$4500

See the separate post. It is beautiful! I saw it at the SWN meet at Lafayette. For $4500 it is a steal!
Hmmm, I'd actually rather have a white SVX, its my all time favourite colour.

Thanks for all the advice. This is making my choice easier to make.

Just an fyi, my trade-in is worth about $1500, as second gear stopped working about 2 months ago, and the dealer knows this.

another response to a previous post gave some insight to the import from US to Canada issue, and My acura was a US import by me, so its about a 1-2k issue, plus the conversion rate of about 1.5.

Old 12-13-2002, 07:01 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
I wouldn't buy any of them.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 12-13-2002, 09:15 PM
No front plate on My SVX

The fact that SVXCESSes 92 pearlie is up for us$4500, that makes more sense to me. If I can figure out the import costs, do some simple math, I could be pursueded.

But I may now offer my car and $4,500. for #2

Old 12-14-2002, 09:01 AM
billisa

just a quick thought...

Neither one... My '92 with 139,000 miles was mechanically perfect (with a rebuilt Subaru trans and replaced wheel bearings) except for leaking seals... I paid US$5,000. Truthfully, even that might have been a bit high, but I know the previous owner treated the car like gold. The ones you're talking about seem very pricey and risky. I'd wait. With the SVX, patience is your most important virtue. Wait for the right one to come along. Eventually, it will.
Old 12-14-2002, 11:28 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
I don't know what shape John Hoffman's 92 Pearlie is this exact minute. But I do know John and will say that he is very very honest to a fault. So talk to him.
I do know that the last time that I saw his Pearlie in July, it6 was in great shape.

Larry Singer
'07 Gray Diamond Pearl Outback XT Ltd..."AH SO"
'05 White Pearl & Silver BAJA Turbo..."AH HA"
'97 Bordeaux Pearl SVX LSi..."SUBYDOO"
'94 White Pearl SVX LSi..."PEARLY"
'92 White Pearl SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."SVXY"
'92 Teal SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."ALCYONE"
'96 Polo Green LSi ... "MIDORI"
'00 Black Dodge VIPER RT-10... "VINNIE"

Engineers do it with precision.
English teachers are novel lovers.

Home: larrysingeriii@comcast.net

SVX FEVER, CATCH IT AT A MEET NEAR YOU !!
Old 12-14-2002, 05:46 PM
"high" in Colorado

Thumbs up Johns' Pearlie...

If I could afford another SVX for my stable, I would buy Johns Pearlie. I saw it at the 10th Ann. Meet in Lafayette Indiana, and it was one of the most perfect cars there! Immaculate, beautiful, spotless....John is a good guy and a FANATIC about his cars!
.... an excellent buy at $4500 US.
I think there are pics of it in his locker (SVXCESS)...check it out!

Good luck in your search!
81 280ZX
91 Legacy wagon
86 Pontiac Parisenne (55k)
86 Kawasaki ZG 1000 Concours
81 KZ 1000 LTD (shaft)
Old 12-15-2002, 12:24 PM
No front plate on My SVX

I have looked at his pics and the car looks awesome, and can't wait to chat with SVXcess.
I have posted on his thread, so hope to make contact soon.

Old 12-15-2002, 08:57 PM
No front plate on My SVX

Just for the record, I have decided not to buy either #1 or #2 locally. option 3 is to buy some-one elses, and I hear there is a nice White 92 in Greenwood MD. I've also seen a add for one in Oregon.