IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 12-10-2002, 05:33 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Outback2.5HO
svxboy,

You are right on about the turbo tranny, it is opposite of all of the other manual trannies and supposedly stronger as well. Seems like the best option. A 3:90 LSD from an XT6 could be used also (maybe). Not sure how that would hold up with all of that power though... Any part that is XT6 only worries me a bit.
Both of the XT6es I've had had the 3:90's, but neither had a LSD rear diff, But if you get the tranny out of a Turbo Legacy, it'll have a matching 3:90 LSD rear diff. , but if you don't have an LSD in your Outback, you'll also need to get the turbo's rear axles.

As for the XT6 parts worring you.....they use the same rear diff as the SVX, and the Legacys, I wouldn't hesitate to use one if I had it. ...Of course I drive a XT6 daily....
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 12-10-2002, 09:40 AM
Member #447

Send a message via MSN to Uncamitzi Send a message via Yahoo to Uncamitzi Send a message via Skype™ to Uncamitzi
Registered SVX
Check your PM.....

Quote:
Originally posted by elninoalex
Do you already have an EG33? I've got an extra if you don't.
92 Teal SVX LS-L 128K tranny swap with 4.11's
Well.. my days of not taking you seriously have certainly come to a middle .
Old 12-10-2002, 10:44 AM
Outback2.5HO

No I don't yet. Trying to locate a complete set up from a '96 or newer car. Not sure if a pre OBDII engine/intake, etc. would fire with an '96 ECU though. How many miles/ what year is yours? Guess I could swap intakes if the miles/price were right on yours. It's pretty convenient that you are just on the other side of the hill...
Old 12-12-2002, 07:35 AM
SovereignMK1

Somebody sell this guy a engine to see if the swap works into the Legacy chassis! It's great having a test guinea pig

/M
Old 12-12-2002, 11:51 AM
Outback2.5HO

Guess what? I found the complete set up with 63k miles out of a '96 with a bad tranny...

It's on the way! Now I need to do some serious wiring homework. Do any of you guys have a engine wiring diagram or is there a website that's got it?
Last time I went to the dealer for something like that, they made me copy it by hand. Not real nice. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

So, hopefully within a few weeks my car will be back on the road with a 3.3 under the hood...
Old 12-13-2002, 05:20 AM
SovereignMK1

Defintitely keep me up to date. If you don't want to do the wiring, Brian (Small Car) told me he could make a harness for my legacy, probably for you as well. mmmm EG33 goodness - I need more $$.

/M
Old 12-14-2002, 01:35 PM
Superbeast

Hay Outback, you just have the 2"spring or do you have any body lift to go with it. Also what size tires did you fit under it, if something big it would be real nice having the 3.3 in it. I would love to put the 3.3 in my Loyale but I don't see it fitting at all, so i have plans to use a 2.2 because I all ready have one just have to make a tranny for it. I want the 4.44s with the lowest 1-5 ratios I can get and the lowest low range gear, and LSD's all around, I realy offroad this thing. As for the wire diagrams you could go the factory service manual or I have a Chiltons manual that has accurate diagrams.
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 12-14-2002, 02:42 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to svxboy
4.44 gears

Hey Subafreak, what subaru tranny did 4.44's originally come in. I have been looking for these. Thanks, Greg
92 Teal SVX LS, Superwhite headlamps and front turn signals, Premier DEX-P1R Deck, A/D/S P850 and Earthquake 200DHC amps, PG Bass Cube, 3-10 in. Diamond Audio subs, A/D/S 346is front components, and Vifa rear 6x9's. B&M tranny cooler and temp. gauge. Flowmaster custom dual exhaust, Tenzo-R conical intake filter, JC Sports torque chip, and a Mid-Height wing for an Integra that fits perfectly and stands 6.5 in. tall. ART front and rear cryo/slotted rotors, SS brake lines and EBC "Green Stuff" pads. My email address= fastestsvx@yahoo.com
Old 12-14-2002, 02:45 PM
Outback2.5HO

Subafreak,

The Outback just has the 2" suspension lift. Wanted more clearance, but didn't want to ruin my handling on-road. I run 225/60 r16s in the summer and 215/75/ r15s (about 30" tall) in the winter. It's got front/rear skid plates, rear LSD w/4:11s and good clearance... Trying to get a dual range tranny from a Aussie or New Zealand Legacy Brighton for better off roading, one project at a time.

Does your Loyale have a dual range tranny from a 85-89 car or is it the push button unit? Also, are all of the miles on your engine on the 1st engine without a rebuild? If so, that's pretty impressive. Most of the EA82s go for about 200-250k before needing a rebuild or replacement. Have definately seen GLs/Loyales that have gone 400-500k, but usually on the 2nd engine by then.
Old 12-14-2002, 03:08 PM
Outback2.5HO

The 4:44s came in auto Outbacks from 96-99... Not sure about the manuals though. Most of the 5 speeds have 3:90s or 4:11s though.
Old 12-17-2002, 06:42 PM
Superbeast

Quote:
Originally posted by Outback2.5HO
Subafreak,

Does your Loyale have a dual range tranny from a 85-89 car or is it the push button unit? Also, are all of the miles on your engine on the 1st engine without a rebuild? If so, that's pretty impressive. Most of the EA82s go for about 200-250k before needing a rebuild or replacement. Have definately seen GLs/Loyales that have gone 400-500k, but usually on the 2nd engine by then.
Yes the tranny is a dual range w/3.90s , and no the mileage dosn't match anything on the car. It's made up of three cars, the body I bought for for $50 was a roll over little damage but no rot, the drivetrain and suspesion came out of a rot box I bought for $400 and the motor came out of a car i bought for $100, all said and done it took about 1week and a total of $1000 for the car as it is now. But need more power. Did Legacys in Aus. really have dual range trannys? any way I think and I have been told that the 85-89 dual range transfer case will bolt up to the newer trannys something you might want to try, cheaper than an Aus. tranny I'm shure.
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 12-22-2002, 09:20 PM
SovereignMK1

Exclamation

^^^ Update?

/Mark
Old 12-28-2002, 10:34 AM
Outback2.5HO

Still waiting for the parts... Damn shipping from Colorado! The holidays are a crappy time to get things shipped.

Should be here soon though, then time to go to work.