How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 09-30-2002, 11:32 AM

Send a message via AIM to eclique Send a message via Yahoo to eclique
Altitude mod?

Does anyone know of some kind of fix for us thin air SVX owners. Everything I read as far as chip mods and the like are to increase fuel---not the problem at this altitude its the opposite--too much fuel not enough air. Does the air sensor compensate automatically or no. I want to have this car perform at its optimum but feel I am nowhere close to specs as far as 0 to 60 or anything else.
All suggestions greatly appreciated.
Mike
Old 09-30-2002, 12:17 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
I say we do away, completely, with the 'mods' and 'tech' forums. Nobody uses them, apparently.

Anyway, the only way you're going to significantly increase the volume of air into your car is some kind of forced-induction like a turbo or supercharger.

But look at it this way: Everyone else on the road around you has the exact same problem that you do. So it's all relative.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 09-30-2002, 02:15 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets
But look at it this way: Everyone else on the road around you has the exact same problem that you do. So it's all relative.
Not true there buddy. I have a hard time keeping up or beating average vehicles. (eg. dodge dakota, jeep cherokee, pontiac bonneville, riced out civic, saturn 2-door coupe, old dodge caravan, and the list goes on and on.) Yes...I did say old dodge caravan. Rather pathetic, don't you agree?
You can add a quart of toluene to a tank of gas, although this is only a temporary solution. Once you go through the tank, you'll loose the bebefits of increased acceleration.

Last edited by DavieGravy; 09-30-2002 at 02:20 PM.
Old 09-30-2002, 03:53 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by DavieGravy

Not true there buddy. I have a hard time keeping up or beating average vehicles. (eg. dodge dakota, jeep cherokee, pontiac bonneville, riced out civic, saturn 2-door coupe, old dodge caravan, and the list goes on and on.) Yes...I did say old dodge caravan. Rather pathetic, don't you agree?
You can add a quart of toluene to a tank of gas, although this is only a temporary solution. Once you go through the tank, you'll loose the bebefits of increased acceleration.
Ah, yeah, you're right of course. Unlike your car, those vehicles are totally unaffected by the higher altitude.

But seriously...

If the SVX is, for some reason, more susceptible to lower atmospheric pressure, I don't know what that reason is and I don't have an answer for you.

My point was that every car on the road around you has the exact same conditions in which their engines have to run. I suppose you could say that my answer assumed that the conditions affected each vehicle to the same degree, but I really wasn't that specific. It is possible that some cars are better able to deal with higher altitudes with less degredation in power, but I doubt it. I would think that there are more likely causes.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 09-30-2002, 04:16 PM

Yes, sorry. You're right that every car is affected by altituded in some degree or another, but I think it was beav who said that the SVX is prone to loss of power in high altitudes more so than other vehicles might be. I shouldn't have put that so bluntly though, I apologize. I can be a real smart ass sometimes
Old 09-30-2002, 04:24 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
The engine management system has a mass air flow sensor and a barometric pressure sensor. It automatically adjusts the fuel to the amount of air available/required. I lived in Colorado and had a '92 when it was brand new. It was, as Mr.P said, a relative issue. You're no more hampered by the altitude than any other normally aspirated car.

One thing y'all need to learn is that modern, high-output engines don't react very well to NDFs that just slam the gas pedal to the floor. All that accomplishes is to flood the engine with air and it takes a moment to collect itself, adjust the fuel flow and get the air intake velocity back to where it should be. Try easing onto the pedal until you get to about 2500-3000 then floor it, you'll see a much better rate of acceleration. We're not driving a huge V-8 with a carb that dumps a quart of gas as soon as you stand on it. Learn to drive the car and you'll find it much more enjoyable.
Old 09-30-2002, 10:45 PM

Beav, I apologize. That must have been somebody else.
Old 09-30-2002, 11:01 PM
Not as old as Randy

No reason to apologize to me. I don't feel offended in any way, shape or manner. You asked a valid question. No problemo.

The SVX has issues with being floored off the line, but then again so do a lot of modern engines, especially highly tuned scooters (o.k. - motorcycles.) If you dump a lot of air into them all at once they take a moment to catch up. Add in a little bit of tall gearing and things are going to become snail-like, relatively.

Remember, these cars were near the top of the heap over ten years ago - they're no longer near the pinnacle of production engineering. Truth be known, today they're about average performers. Then again you're not paying out $25000+ (well, most of us aren't) for one.
Old 10-01-2002, 08:23 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Beav
One thing y'all need to learn is that modern, high-output engines don't react very well to NDFs that just slam the gas pedal to the floor.
I know I'm gonna feel stupid for asking, but, 'NDF?'

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 10-01-2002, 09:08 AM
rizzer77

novice's advice

i dunno much about loss of power at higher altitudes but if i were u i'd try getting a better air filter...with free flow induction...like K & N or any of the other better/bigger filters that do away with the air box and have just the cone type filter....for 40-50bux it might be worth a try.....worst case scenario if it doesnt cause improvement...consider it an investment on the car...those things come with a life-time like warranty...so u'll never have to change air filter again
Old 10-01-2002, 09:27 AM

Registered SVX
Re: novice's advice

Quote:
Originally posted by rizzer77
i dunno much about loss of power at higher altitudes but if i were u i'd try getting a better air filter...with free flow induction...like K & N or any of the other better/bigger filters that do away with the air box and have just the cone type filter....for 40-50bux it might be worth a try.....worst case scenario if it doesnt cause improvement...consider it an investment on the car...those things come with a life-time like warranty...so u'll never have to change air filter again
While I would endorse a K&N drop-in filter, I wouldn't do the same for a cone filter. As has been explained more than a couple dozen times on this site, cone filters suck in hot engine bay air, reducing the volume of air taken into the engine.

A simple drop-in filter may be less of an impediment than a standard paper filter, but I still wouldn't say that they'll offer a huge improvement.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 10-01-2002, 11:27 AM
Not as old as Randy

There's another way to look at this - in the thin air your MPG is better, and top speed is probably higher also.

Uh, NDF is a *technical* term of endearment my friends and I use regarding drivers with limited experience/abilities.
Old 10-01-2002, 01:07 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Beav
There's another way to look at this - in the thin air your MPG is better, and top speed is probably higher also.

Uh, NDF is a *technical* term of endearment my friends and I use regarding drivers with limited experience/abilities.
Right, I got that - but what's it stand for?

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE