How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2013, 06:20 AM

Unhappy tranny or front diff??

Well one or the other is completly screwed! Let me start by saying a few months ago my speedometer and odometer both stopped working. Replaced vss2 with one I got from Nate. Still didn't work so I assumed the gears in the front differential( fwd by the way) were bad. Drove to work last night and felt a skip on interstate once or twice but wasnt to alarmed by it. Get to work and put it in R to pull into parking spot and heard a slight grinding. Parked it and went into work as I had no time to investigate.This morning car starts fine, let it warm 2-3 mins as usual. Put it in D and pull off and it made the worst grinding sound ive ever heard. Will not budge. Turned car off and on again, starts fine but as soon as I go to put in gear I get that horrible grinding sound . What do you guys think, tranny or differential?
Old 03-19-2013, 06:28 AM

Re: tranny or front diff??

Not really sure how to tell the difference as I've never had either go bad on me.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:01 AM
51 Club

Registered SVX

Either way the front diff/transmission assembly has to be pulled and rebuilt or replaced. Once it's removed it'll be easy to tell.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:49 AM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

When my front diff went out on my old red one, it was a very clear clunk, before it went it sounded almost like a baseball card in a bicycle wheel. It increased with speed. Also in you could feel it in the steering wheel and no why you could drive it. When my transmission went out in my current svx (fwd at the time, found out later it was the sun gear? that went) it made a clunk again but nothing like the first one.

To see if its the diff, drain the diff, look for metal chunks. If you don't find anything get one finger in there and make sure a chunk isn't resting off to the sides. Do this with the transmission if you don't find anything.

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 03-19-2013, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikedjuggalo View Post
When my front diff went out on my old red one, it was a very clear clunk, before it went it sounded almost like a baseball card in a bicycle wheel. It increased with speed. Also in you could feel it in the steering wheel and no why you could drive it. When my transmission went out in my current svx (fwd at the time, found out later it was the sun gear? that went) it made a clunk again but nothing like the first one.

To see if its the diff, drain the diff, look for metal chunks. If you don't find anything get one finger in there and make sure a chunk isn't resting off to the sides. Do this with the transmission if you don't find anything.
Thanks for descriptions. Though mine seemed to sound far worse than a baseball card this am.
I'm about to go and get her shortly so I can better diagnose whats going on. I'm glad you responded tho. How much of a task was it to change to 5mt/ awd conversion? Also makes me wonder how possible/ expensive it would be to just go with a 4.44. I do have only fwd now.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:05 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will View Post
Thanks for descriptions. Though mine seemed to sound far worse than a baseball card this am.
I'm about to go and get her shortly so I can better diagnose whats going on. I'm glad you responded tho. How much of a task was it to change to 5mt/ awd conversion? Also makes me wonder how possible/ expensive it would be to just go with a 4.44. I do have only fwd now.
If you put in a 4.44 that was ONLY front wheel drive, you would spend ALOT of time spinning your right front tire!
It would suck!
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 03-19-2013, 04:27 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Quote:
I should have clarified, the baseball card was before it completely went. After it completely went, a horrible clunk was happened in any direction.

As far as the FWD to 5spd, it required what a normal swap took (pedals, etc. etc). You would have to ask OT (svxfiles) as he did the actual work, I just acquired the parts. You need Rear sub-frame, rear diff, drive shaft and axles. Besides that the rear end is no different than AWD versions. The mounting holes and what not are all there. The red one was just replaced with another fwd, as was the green on (until the 5spd was put int).

If you want to do a awd swap, find a wrecked svx, take the rear subframe, drive shaft, and rear diff. (axles will be needed new or used).

This will be a little costly but much worth it if you can find a donor. You might even be able to find a svx parts car cheaper and swap it over.

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
Old 03-24-2013, 11:40 AM

Registered SVX

Sorry but quick thread jack. I'm in the middle of changing my 94fwd to awd 5 speed I'm putting the rear subframe back in with the diff... But it hitting the exhaust heat shield near the gas tank... All models had the same gas tank right? Do I just need to pound the heat shield out of the way?
#1 1994 Ls ebony parts car-rip
#2 1994 L laguna blue - sold
#3 1992 Lsi pearl white - sold
#4 1992 Lsi pearl white -Ate two engines - Rip
#5 1994 L Laguna Blue fwd - Now Awd and manual - 03 wrx 5mt - 18's stern warp st4s - totaled hit a tree
#6 1992 Lsi custom orange parts car
#7 1992 Lsi green 4.44 swap. Currently for sale
#8 1992 Lsi custom pearl white. Project car... sold
#9 1992 Teal 4.44 swapped... sold
#10 1995 Laguna Blue. Sti 19 wheels,
#11 1994 Laguna Blue. Came with #10 engine and trans are out but plan to put it back on the road. Willing to sell it at any time! 😂
Old 03-24-2013, 01:14 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiguy View Post
Sorry but quick thread jack. I'm in the middle of changing my 94fwd to awd 5 speed I'm putting the rear subframe back in with the diff... But it hitting the exhaust heat shield near the gas tank... All models had the same gas tank right? Do I just need to pound the heat shield out of the way?
just checked the parts book and the shield directly under the tank has 2 different part numbers, one for awd, the other 2wd. Lemme check if I've got a spare.

96 Polo Green - Daily Driver
92 Teal Green - Restoration in progress
Old 03-25-2013, 03:52 PM

Ok time to take thread back. I'm seriously thinking of doing a 5spd swap now.
Will any WRX tranny work?What all will I need if I can find a donor?
Also I will need awd parts mentioned by wickedjuggalo ( rear subframe, drive shaft, rear diff) if anyone has this for sale... Cannot find any salvage yard around me with an svx

Most importantly I will need complete instructions if someone would please be so kind to oblige me. OT perhaps?
Old 03-25-2013, 04:09 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=60822

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...t=60061&page=2

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=59326

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=58066

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=57819

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...60&postcount=7

Should get you started.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 03-28-2013, 10:41 AM

Can i use the rear diff and subframe from a 96 Impreza for awd conversion?
Old 03-28-2013, 10:51 AM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Quote:
Can i use the rear diff and subframe from a 96 Impreza for awd conversion?
I can't speak for that. I have a feeling its probably different, at least the subframe.

Old 03-28-2013, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikedjuggalo View Post
I can't speak for that. I have a feeling its probably different, at least the subframe.
Can anyone confirm this? Im in a salvage yard right now.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:45 AM

Bump bump..