Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-02-2011, 08:27 PM

Transmission problem

I will give a small back story first on my 95. It has 209k miles on it now, for the past two years I didn't drive it too much as it needed some repairs to get it back to good running shape. A month or so ago I finally was able to make time to get it into the garage and start working on it. I changed out brakes, rotors, all four struts, etc as well as tearing apart the front of the engine and changing out the timing belt and components, and cam and crank seals were replaced. I just recently completed everything and put it all back together, fired it up and it ran well. Today I reinstalled the wheels/tires so I could take it off of the jack stands and pull it out of the garage Here comes my problem experienced, I went to shift to reverse and the transmission wasn't shifting. I then realized that the car will now shift into park and still won't. When I shift to reverse, and also drive, I touch the gas to go and I hear and feel the transmission or transfer case clunking and attempting to engage to let the car move. When I attempt to go back to park the car just will not shift back to park, instead I hear what sounds like gears grinding and failing to shift the transmission to park. I didn't do anything with the transmission during my repair work so I have no idea as to why the transmission is not engaging correctly now. The transmission worked and shifted fine when I pulled it into the garage. The only thing I can think of is that I knocked some sensor loose when I washed underneath the car with a garden hose although I didn't see any loose sensors. I still have no idea what is wrong with it and now I'm unalbe to drive it due to the shifting issues. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:47 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: Transmission problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95greensvx View Post
Here comes my problem experienced,
I went to shift to reverse and the transmission wasn't shifting.
I then realized that the car will now shift into park and still won't.
When I shift to reverse, and also drive, I touch the gas to go and I hear and feel the transmission or transfer case clunking and attempting to engage to let the car move.
When I attempt to go back to park the car just will not shift back to park, instead I hear what sounds like gears grinding and failing to shift the transmission to park.
I still have no idea what is wrong with it and now I'm unalbe to drive it due to the shifting issues. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
Mike, it is not a sensor.
I am thinking that it is a broken drum, the one at the back of the shaft that runs from/on the FWD pinion.
You will have to pull off the "transfer case" to check it out.
Tom
301-707-2837
301-707-3437
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 11-02-2011, 09:08 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxfiles View Post
Mike, it is not a sensor.
I am thinking that it is a broken drum, the one at the back of the shaft that runs from/on the FWD pinion.
You will have to pull off the "transfer case" to check it out.
Tom
301-707-2837
301-707-3437
i don't think that would stop the front from driving.

Quote:
When I attempt to go back to park the car just will not shift back to park, instead I hear what sounds like gears grinding
Tom this sounds like there is no front drive, when it is going into park the front pinion shaft is still turning the parking drum, and the pawl is clicking.
Maybe no axle in or?
What do yah reckon, a chance?

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:21 PM
There's a storm coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au View Post
i don't think that would stop the front from driving.

Tom this sounds like there is no front drive, when it is going into park the front pinion shaft is still turning the parking drum, and the pawl is clicking.
Maybe no axle in or?
What do yah reckon, a chance?

Harvey.
Harvey, I am referring to the shaft on the right side of the transmission,
the one that transfers power to the front ring.
If that drum was broken it would allow internal movement, and a ratcheting sound.
An axle is (much cheaper) not out of the realm of possibilites,and should be checked first.
Heck, an axle is MUCH easier to check.

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 11-03-2011, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Harvey, I am referring to the shaft on the right side of the transmission,
the one that transfers power to the front ring.
If that drum was broken it would allow internal movement, and a ratcheting sound.
An axle is (much cheaper) not out of the realm of possibilites,and should be checked first.
Heck, an axle is MUCH easier to check.
I will take a look at the axle and pull the transfer case if needed. Is it possible that the axle slid out of the transfer case? I guess it could be possible since I replaced the struts all around the car but I don't see any fluid leaking which I would expect to see. I'll examine it later today or tomorrow. I'm just really confused because it worked fine when I pulled it into the garage and put it up on jack stands and then once I finished all of the work it started acting like this. I can't even get it to engage into PARK, I have to keep the e-brake on so it doesn't move.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:14 AM
There's a storm coming.

One time Diana drove her Silver to A car place that I worked at, stopped the SVX, put it in park, and the car started to roll backwards, down hill, making a racheting sound.
We both thought transmission, it turned out to be a front axle had broken on the spot, without warning, OR abuse!

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 11-03-2011, 06:39 AM

Quote:
One time Diana drove her Silver to A car place that I worked at, stopped the SVX, put it in park, and the car started to roll backwards, down hill, making a racheting sound.
We both thought transmission, it turned out to be a front axle had broken on the spot, without warning, OR abuse!
That is the symptom's I experienced. I put the wheels back on, lowered the car off of the jack stands and then when I started to tighten up the wheels the car was rolling backwards which is when I discovered it would not stay in PARK or engage right when I pulled it out of the garage. I will check the axle tonight.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:10 AM
There's a storm coming.

Quote:
That is the symptom's I experienced. I put the wheels back on, lowered the car off of the jack stands and then when I started to tighten up the wheels the car was rolling backwards which is when I discovered it would not stay in PARK or engage right when I pulled it out of the garage. I will check the axle tonight.
IF I remember correctly the splined shaft pulled out of the outer CV joint, inside the boot.

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 11-03-2011, 08:56 AM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest

I'm thinking that maybe when you had everything apart for the struts, the axle got over extended and either pulled the stub out of the front diff (easy and free fix) or pulled one of the joints of the axle apart (easy, $80 fix).
Old 11-03-2011, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hocrest View Post
I'm thinking that maybe when you had everything apart for the struts, the axle got over extended and either pulled the stub out of the front diff (easy and free fix) or pulled one of the joints of the axle apart (easy, $80 fix).
I'm hoping it is just that, makes sense based off of what I have experienced with this.
Old 11-04-2011, 01:37 AM
One teal and One yellow

Quote:
A car place that I worked at, stopped the SVX, put it in park,

I think I know that Car place.

OT, u got my email?

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 11-05-2011, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hocrest View Post
i went underneath the car today and on the drivers side the axle was popped out of the transfer case. i was able to get it partially back into the transfer case where everything works again with p
utting the car in park, drive and reverse but i cant get it to fully insert back in, is there something i am missing?
Old 11-05-2011, 08:54 AM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Did the part that popped out stick into the transmission or out of it? i.e., is the splined shaft, the male part, that was separated on the transmission side or the axle side?

If it's the transmission side, then you'll need a spring pin to hold the axle onto the splined shaft. Have a look at the passenger side, to see the spring pin I'm talking about. It goes through the axle, through the splined shaft that sticks out of the trans, and back through the axle on the other side. Hopefully you just need that pin and everything will be ok.

If it's on the axle side, then that part is not supposed to come apart normally, and I don't know what happened or what to do. The rear axles just "pop" in and out of the rear diff. There is a little spring clip on each side that holds it in, which works because the rear axles don't have to change in length much at all, because those wheels don't turn. Maybe that shaft sticks into the trans with a similar mechanism. Look at the end of the shaft to see if there's anywhere a spring clip could grab onto it.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album

Last edited by icingdeath88; 11-05-2011 at 08:57 AM.
Old 11-05-2011, 09:32 AM
There's a storm coming.

Quote:
I will give a small back story first on my 95. It has 209k miles on it now, for the past two years I didn't drive it too much as it needed some repairs to get it back to good running shape. A month or so ago I finally was able to make time to get it into the garage and start working on it. I changed out brakes, rotors, [B]all four struts, [/B]etc as well as tearing apart the front of the engine and changing out the timing belt and components, and cam and crank seals were replaced. I just recently completed everything and put it all back together, fired it up and it ran well. Today I reinstalled the wheels/tires so I could take it off of the jack stands and pull it out of the garage Here comes my problem experienced, I went to shift to reverse and the transmission wasn't shifting. I then realized that the car will now shift into park and still won't. When I shift to reverse, and also drive, I touch the gas to go and I hear and feel the transmission or transfer case clunking and attempting to engage to let the car move. When I attempt to go back to park the car just will not shift back to park, instead I hear what sounds like gears grinding and failing to shift the transmission to park. I didn't do anything with the transmission during my repair work so I have no idea as to why the transmission is not engaging correctly now. The transmission worked and shifted fine when I pulled it into the garage. The only thing I can think of is that I knocked some sensor loose when I washed underneath the car with a garden hose although I didn't see any loose sensors. I still have no idea what is wrong with it and now I'm unalbe to drive it due to the shifting issues. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

When you removed the struts you must have pulled the axle out!

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 11-05-2011, 02:54 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Yeh that will do it. easy one.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.