How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-09-2011, 01:28 PM

Registered SVX
How to replace engine mounts?

Here I am once again completely dumb-founded about how to get out the engine mounts on my SVX. Just put a new engine installed and now the driver side mount is broken. Please do not tell me I have to take the engine out again.

"Wait...your grill...is that chicken wire?"
Old 06-09-2011, 01:52 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: How to replace engine mounts?

I just did this. You don't have to take the engine back out. Disconnect the motor mounts (lower nut) and the dogbone mount and jack or lift up the motor and you can get the old ones out and new ones in. Exhaust was not connected to the exhaust manifolds when I did it.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 06-09-2011, 03:03 PM

Registered SVX

What is a dogbone mount? I tried to take out the the screws that held the mount bracket but the last screw that goes point towards the fire wall can not be reached. It is covered by the sub. Is there an easier way to get to it?

Old 06-09-2011, 05:45 PM

Registered SVX

Dogbone mount = upper pitch mount where it connects to the front top of the transmission. You most likely would have had to disconnect this at some point in order to take the motor out.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Old 06-10-2011, 02:20 PM

Registered SVX

Okay got the mount out and will replace it with with the spare one that I have from my old car. Do you know if there is any there performance type mounts out there?

Old 06-10-2011, 03:27 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcimos View Post
Okay got the mount out and will replace it with with the spare one that I have from my old car. Do you know if there is any there performance type mounts out there?
Group N solid mounts, or any engine mount for almost any EJ Subaru.
Old 06-10-2011, 05:33 PM

Registered SVX

I like the group N ones. Click the link in my sig.

Old 06-10-2011, 06:25 PM

I like the cusco enginemounts even better than GpN, as the times I've used the GpN mounts its turned my WRX or STi into a giant er... "adult toy" at high idle and above. The Cuscos are stiffer, but didn't seem to have that vibration issue.

Sadly they are insanely expensive now.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:02 PM
The Molinator

Could this possibly be related to my weird SVX noise.. ?

This noise started over a year ago. When stopped, if I turned sharp.. left or right.. then accelerated.. I get a creaking noise, followed by a rotational noise, obviously associated with the driveshaft. In the extreme, it wud cause the driveshaft to bang into the heat shield between the exhaust pipe and driveshaft! So, I took off the sheet metal heat deflector between the exhaust pipes and the propellor drive shaft.. BECAUSE THE DRIVESHAFT WAS (WHEN DOING THIS WEIRD SOUND.. CREAKING AND ROTATIONAL/OSCILLATING NOISE) BANGING AGAINST THE HEAT SHIELD.. REALLY MAKING A RACKIT! SO, it's clear the center bearing must have been allowing the propellor shaft joint to wobble! I just don't know if it's a defective center bearing (rubber mount) or an engine or AT mount allowing the soft rubber center bearing mount to allow the wobble enough to have the driveshaft to hit the heat shield (?). This would only occur under extreme noise-making.. like rotating sharply (left or right) in a tight circle (parking lot) for 1 or 2 times around (light pole or tree).

[I think I shud return the heat shield.. It must be there for some reason.. especially with the heat in summer (Fresno).. might fry the U-Joints..or center bearing.. ?? ]

Thanks..

P.S. Thot it might be MAINLY? engine or AT mounts.. allowing them to twist back and forth??? But seems AT install mechanic put new AT mount.. and it seems even one or both of the engine mounts had been replaced.. ?? I KNOW, my records aren't complete.. .
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Valentine One Radar Detector with Remote Display - ucan'tseeme!

Last edited by James Scott; 06-10-2011 at 08:04 PM.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:42 AM

Registered SVX

Hey icingdeath88 which ones did you get? All I see a lot of stuff for the sti on that webpage.

Old 06-11-2011, 12:53 PM

Registered SVX

Those are the ones man. First thing listed on the page. RST-4100

Old 06-27-2011, 11:33 AM

Registered SVX

Are the new motor mounts from Rallispec the part # RST-4100 a direct bolt on or do you need to do some mods? I need to replace the motor mounts on mine and that kit is alot cheaper than buying direct from Subaru.
Old 06-27-2011, 03:51 PM
The Molinator

Heh Guys! What are the symptoms of bad mounts??? I have this undiagnosed creeking that happens when I turn tight (right or left) from a stop.. and accelerate.. .

Does it ever cause that.. ??

Thanks..
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Valentine One Radar Detector with Remote Display - ucan'tseeme!
Old 07-09-2011, 09:16 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by catanz85 View Post
Are the new motor mounts from Rallispec the part # RST-4100 a direct bolt on or do you need to do some mods? I need to replace the motor mounts on mine and that kit is alot cheaper than buying direct from Subaru.

i need engine mounts as well (both mine were completely ripped though)
do these mounts need modification to work or do they just bolt straight up ?
my car is in the shop getting worked on now and i need to get these parts reasonably soon (like sometime in the next couple of weeks)
Old 07-10-2011, 01:36 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by aust92pearl View Post
i need engine mounts as well (both mine were completely ripped though)
do these mounts need modification to work or do they just bolt straight up ?
my car is in the shop getting worked on now and i need to get these parts reasonably soon (like sometime in the next couple of weeks)
Either/or. The bolt holes of the brackets on the STi mounts (at least the Group N ones from Rallispec) will line up with the ones on the EG33. But, there are only 2 bolt holes, while the stock motor mounts have 3. But I figure if 2 bolts is enough for an STi, it's enough for the SVX. The Grp N bracket will also cause the motor to sit maybe half a cm lower. Not enough to effect anything, just pointing it out.

The alternative is to open up the bolt holes on the SVX brackets to accept the slightly closer together studs of the Grp N motor mounts.

They are a decent bit more firm than the stock ones too, so be prepared for the car jiggling just a tad at idle.

I have no idea if any of that applies to the stock (or other aftermarket) STi mounts, only the Group N ones on the Rallispec website.

Last edited by icingdeath88; 07-10-2011 at 01:40 AM.