Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2011, 07:48 PM
The Molinator

Battery failure - intermittent, severe

Heh, I experienced the same type of sudden crazy "dead battery" syndrome again today!

Last time.. about 2 months ago... My SVX started.. ran ok cold for about 5 minutes.. then car started to STALL LIKE I WAS RUNNING OUTTA GAS! .. RIGHT WHEN TURNING INTO HEAVY FAST TRAFFIC!!! I HAD TO HAVE AAA JUMP ME TO START! [AND BREAK INTO CAR CUZ ELECTRICAL FAILURE FOLLOWED BY JUMP CAUSED REMOTE DOOR LOCKS TO LOCKUP! Ha!

NOW... Today I was stopped for speeding [fortunately although my Valentine 1 "failed" me (CHP turned on radar suddenly when I was driving remote country road ~ 70-75 ... no time to slow!).. I brought out the trusty American Federation of Police badge.. so dropped speeding for a no front license fix-it ticket... YEEAAAAAHHHH!]...

After the cop & I were done.. my SVX wudn't start.. acted like barely any juice left... barely turn slowly once or so... not close to starting! What the #&*@ (heck)!? The cop had to jump me! I just bot an alternator after the last incident a few weeks ago!

When I sat talking to the cop, I had my foot on the brake.. but that doesn't make sense to kill a good (Interstate $170) battery (which checked good during the last incident recently!... ???

Is it a short? .. a possible solenoid.. or starter?? Are either easy or hard to replace? I found it, but looked like hard access.. ??

Cud the solenoid or starter cause a rather sudden loss of battery amps??? YiKeS!

Thanks, Jim
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Valentine One Radar Detector with Remote Display - ucan'tseeme!

Last edited by James Scott; 04-14-2011 at 08:05 PM.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:02 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Battery failure - intermittent, severe

The inhibitor relay is in line between the battery and starter, so it is possible that the relay could be the culprit. I would start by checking the remote wire (the one that clips on) on the starter solenoid. It should get 12v when the key is turned forward.

A voltage drop there would show that the circuit is having a problem somewhere (most likely ignition switch, inhibitor switch, or a short in the wiring). You can chase that down with a multimeter, simply looking for the source of the voltage drop.

FIRST THINGS FIRST, clean all the grounds, check the one just forward of the starter on the block, etc. Try shaking the large ground cable that comes off of your battery, and see if the problem goes away. If you are having ground issues, then the car will act as if it is not getting enough power.

Good luck.

'92 Ls-L Dark Teal
11:1 CR ECUTUNE pistons
ECUTUNE .256 duration intake/exhaust cams
ECUTUNE STAGE 2AV1 ECU
Z32 MAF/SR20DET injectors
Balanced & Blueprinted
Old 04-15-2011, 05:01 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

I'd bet your Crank pulley is slipping....put a mark across the front face of it and drive it some and see if the inner and outer sections are staying lined up....if not, replace pulley, and your problem will be fixed (the SVX uses the same crank pulley as all 4-Cylinder Impreza, Legacy, Foresters)
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 04-15-2011, 01:53 PM
The Molinator

I should say that when the car wudn't start yesterday.. the system acted just like a dead battery! The alarm started to chirp automatically .. .

SO, not sure if crank pulley cud cause that.. ?? [I assume yur talking belt slip and alternator running too slow.. right?]

[Last time it did this (sudden battery failure).. the car got locked.. cuz I left the key in ON position when AAA guy jumped my battery. When the alarm got juiced back up..the alarm automatically locked the doors.. cuz it thot my car was running! Ha!]

Probably some elusive short.. . Help

I'll look at the wires.. like Cam suggests.. but

If it were a starter .. relay.. ground issue .. etc?? Then WHY WUD THE ALARM DIE LIKE A DEAD BATTERY???

ThAnKs, Jim

P.S. BTW.. I have a 7-point ground (2 OEM points + 5 OtHeRs!) Plus, when I checked battery during last incident, they said battery OK + I really cleaned all battery AND 7-point ground connections! Hmmm?
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)

Last edited by James Scott; 04-15-2011 at 01:58 PM.
Old 04-15-2011, 01:59 PM

Registered SVX

If it is the ground coming off of the battery, then it would be because the system was not grounded...or if it was your crank pulley (which is two pieces) then it would be that you killed your car trying to turn it over. The crank pulley will break down over time and the dampener on it will actually tear, allowing the inner portion to spin, while the outer portion stays in place. But if it starts as soon as you try to jump it, then it sounds more electrical...

'92 Ls-L Dark Teal
ECUTUNE STAGE 2AV1 ECU
Balanced & Blueprinted
Old 04-15-2011, 04:28 PM
The Molinator

Just tell me exactly which wire came loose.. or is inadequate.. or is shorting.. So I don't have to spend time looking for it!

Ha!

Thanks, Jim

P.S. The wierd thing is.. my car AlWaYs starts well (except these 2 times!).. even if I make repeated stops/starts shopping etc... ???? [I guess very intermittent and special circumstance short.. ?? Once while driving, shortly after morning start.. and once during cop stop!... ???]

It does do a delayed start thing (does nothing when turned to start, but if held briefly (0 to 3 sec)..or if back to ON and then START.. it always starts [usually 1/2 to 2 second delay when held at START position.]

Last edited by James Scott; 04-15-2011 at 04:49 PM.
Old 04-15-2011, 06:39 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX

James,

Check the battery. I had a bad Interstate battery. It wouldn't hold a charge over night about two months after I bought and installed it. The local garage where I bought it confirmed that the battery was bad and put in a new one for free.
'07 Gray Diamond Pearl Outback XT Ltd..."AH SO"
'05 White Pearl & Silver BAJA Turbo..."AH HA"
'97 Bordeaux Pearl SVX LSi..."SUBYDOO"
'94 White Pearl SVX LSi..."PEARLY"
'92 White Pearl SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."SVXY"
'92 Teal SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."ALCYONE"
'96 Polo Green LSi ... "MIDORI"
'00 Black Dodge VIPER RT-10... "VINNIE"

Engineers do it with precision.
English teachers are novel lovers.

Home: larrysingeriii@comcast.net

SVX FEVER, CATCH IT AT A MEET NEAR YOU !!
Old 04-15-2011, 08:00 PM
The Molinator

I may just take it in again.. it checked out OK a month ago .. . ?? If it were a bad battery.. why wud it work 99% of the time.. . ???????

Thanks, Jim
Old 04-16-2011, 06:57 AM

Registered SVX

Did you check to make sure that the battery terminals and lugs are clean? You may have some oxidation that you can't see on them without taking them off. I have had this happen in my car, and just yesterday on my roommates car. If you can remember when it does the delayed start you describe, get out and put your hands on the battery terminals to see if one of them is warm or hot.
Old 04-16-2011, 10:48 AM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX

Maybe your "7 grounds" extra wiring is actually causing a drain on your battery, causing it to die prematurely.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 04-16-2011, 12:32 PM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Scott View Post
I should say that when the car wudn't start yesterday.. the system acted just like a dead battery! The alarm started to chirp automatically .. .

SO, not sure if crank pulley cud cause that.. ?? [I assume yur talking belt slip and alternator running too slow.. right?]

YES, a bad crank pulley CAN cause this, it is FREE to check, so why not at least check it to rule it out....Maybe it isn't the problem, but it very well could be....or you could start out buying parts hoping they fix it.....I myself prefer to try the free check first, but to each their own
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 04-16-2011, 01:01 PM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX

Harbourfrieght has a battery/load tester for $15 on sale. Always good to have it in the trunk. At least you can check the obvious first.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:52 AM
The Molinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannmarr View Post
Harbourfrieght has a battery/load tester for $15 on sale. Always good to have it in the trunk. At least you can check the obvious first.
Sounds good.. I'll look for that!
Old 04-25-2011, 12:01 PM
The Molinator

BTW.. . Ever since I cleaned the smaller (metal snap connected) solenoid wire with electrical cleaner/lubricant.. . I haven't had any delay for starting.. ???

Maybe that was it.. but I'll wait to see of course .. .

Thanks, Jim
Old 04-25-2011, 12:06 PM

Registered SVX

That would not explain the stalling while car is running. The starter has nothing to do with the car once it has started. Did you check for a slipping crank pulley? After re-reading your OP I think huck hit the nail on the head.

'92 Ls-L Dark Teal
ECUTUNE STAGE 2AV1 ECU
Balanced & Blueprinted