SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2011, 09:06 PM
A.L.I.C.E.

Send a message via AIM to techy101 Send a message via Yahoo to techy101
Part Out Questions

This past fall the tranny in my SVX died. First fourth disappeared, then limping it home third went the way of the Dodo. I made it home in second, but at this point I've put so much more money into the car than it's worth that I think it's finally time to call it quits.

I'm aware that a transmission isn't that expensive, but at this point it's just too much.

For those who have parted their cars out, what do you do if people are interested in things like the suspension, etc... that would require the car to sit on jack stands. Is it possible for a tow truck to get it out of the garage at that point?

I also see people selling glass, how in the heck do you get the glass out and ship it without breaking it?

Is it even worth the time, hassle, and expense of parting the thing out and shipping parts all over?

On a side note, if anyone is interested in an '92 SVX LS-L in the Twin Cities area that is in need of a transmission, I'm also happy to sell it.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:45 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Part Out Questions

Don't part out a good SVX over just the transmission. Try and sell it first. You'll make around the same amount of money, just a lot faster.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 01-23-2011, 09:54 PM
Limecat is not amused.

Registered SVX

I desperately need an engine soon, or parts from one, i still don't know whats wrong with it, and new noises have started popping up from it. and it stalled out in the parking lot for no reason today, well, other than the fact that it was 3 degrees out.

edit: oh, and if you have a good radiator too, i'd buy that. The crack on mine is getting larger, and the gallon jug of coolant I bought is fast running out lawl

Last edited by 3.3H6; 01-23-2011 at 09:57 PM.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:03 PM
more windows then a minivan..

Registered SVX

how much you want for it im about 3 hrs away...
*1994 5 speed, Barcelona Red W/ Black ebony pearl top FWD*murrano wheels,lowered with motorsports springs drilled and slotted rotors 20% tint,swapped in leather seats,full exhaust cat delete,15 min mod, red F&R energy bushings
Old 01-23-2011, 10:05 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by techy101 View Post
This past fall the tranny in my SVX died. First fourth disappeared, then limping it home third went the way of the Dodo. I made it home in second, but at this point I've put so much more money into the car than it's worth that I think it's finally time to call it quits.

I'm aware that a transmission isn't that expensive, but at this point it's just too much.

For those who have parted their cars out, what do you do if people are interested in things like the suspension, etc... that would require the car to sit on jack stands. Is it possible for a tow truck to get it out of the garage at that point?

I also see people selling glass, how in the heck do you get the glass out and ship it without breaking it?

Is it even worth the time, hassle, and expense of parting the thing out and shipping parts all over?

On a side note, if anyone is interested in an '92 SVX LS-L in the Twin Cities area that is in need of a transmission, I'm also happy to sell it.
You have pictures of the car?
I sorta wish I was still up in North Dakota I could use a good car that needs a transmission, 6 spd swap hmmm. My car had the trans rebuilt right before I bought it so it should last quite a while. Funny thing I bought my car from glenco just west of the cities on 212.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:01 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxAL View Post
how much you want for it im about 3 hrs away...
+1, I'm 5 hours away and have a few good stock transmissions sitting around
Old 01-23-2011, 11:19 PM
more windows then a minivan..

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
+1, I'm 5 hours away and have a few good stock transmissions sitting around
o boy we could team up and save one haha
*1994 5 speed, Barcelona Red W/ Black ebony pearl top FWD*murrano wheels,lowered with motorsports springs drilled and slotted rotors 20% tint,swapped in leather seats,full exhaust cat delete,15 min mod, red F&R energy bushings
Old 01-23-2011, 11:21 PM

Registered SVX

Techy, is this the car you did a detailed writeup on resealing the engine last winter?
Old 01-24-2011, 12:42 AM
A.L.I.C.E.

Send a message via AIM to techy101 Send a message via Yahoo to techy101

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
Techy, is this the car you did a detailed writeup on resealing the engine last winter?
Yeah, It was working well, but I just don't think I can put any more energy or money into the thing. It doesn't help that my FXT took a dump this past summer, and it took a few months to get it all back up and running enough to get it sold, as well as buying another one in that time.