How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-19-2010, 10:02 PM

Send a message via MSN to pavanbabut Send a message via Yahoo to pavanbabut
Starting trouble

Looks like mine is also getting inline for a fuel delivery system repair. The car runs fine once started and gets going especially after the engine has warmed up. But the problem comes when I start the car after a while. When I try to start the car in the morning, I have to keep cranking and floor the gas pedal, even then it starts very very hesitantly while shuddering. Once it starts and I keep the gas slightly pressed, it gets fine after ~10sec, once thats done, it runs fine until I come back from work and try to start at our parking lot, it does the same, more if I park it slightly nose down.

As usual the check engine light comes on occasionally and goes off and this happens only when the engine temps are below normal. It wont stay ON so that I can check what it is all about.

Any suggestions/ideas??

thanks
Old 05-20-2010, 02:31 AM

Registered SVX
Re: Starting trouble

The diagnostic system records intermittent faults and stores them in memory. Check for a code, even though there is no permanent fault light illuminated.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 05-20-2010, 08:42 PM

Send a message via MSN to pavanbabut Send a message via Yahoo to pavanbabut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
The diagnostic system records intermittent faults and stores them in memory. Check for a code, even though there is no permanent fault light illuminated.
Thanks for that tip, I checked it and its flashing 12 and 21 and from code specification sheet
12 Starter Switch or Circuit
21 Coolant Temperature Sensor or Circuit
So, does that mean my starter is also bad or it just shows that because the engine is not running? I guess I will check my coolant temp. sensor.

Also, does anyone know the part# for coolant temp sensor? I wish I had a parts catalog cd like I do for my Alfas.
-thanks

Last edited by pavanbabut; 05-20-2010 at 08:56 PM.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:23 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavanbabut View Post
Thanks for that tip, I checked it and its flashing 12 and 21 and from code specification sheet
12 Starter Switch or Circuit
21 Coolant Temperature Sensor or Circuit
So, does that mean my starter is also bad or it just shows that because the engine is not running? I guess I will check my coolant temp. sensor.

Also, does anyone know the part# for coolant temp sensor? I wish I had a parts catalog cd like I do for my Alfas.
-thanks
After noting the symptoms you described, my immediate reaction was to suspect the coolant temperature sensor. You have struck the jackpot. Check the wiring and if this is OK, replace the sensor. Not a big deal.

I would suspect that constant efforts to start the engine could well have registered a starter switch code. You did not mention any issue regarding starter operation. Ignore this meantime until you replace the sensor and clear the memory, when 12 should clear together with 21.

P.S. Check the how to section for a part number.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!

Last edited by Trevor; 05-20-2010 at 11:28 PM. Reason: P.S. Added
Old 05-21-2010, 06:02 AM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
After noting the symptoms you described, my immediate reaction was to suspect the coolant temperature sensor. You have struck the jackpot. Check the wiring and if this is OK, replace the sensor. Not a big deal.

I would suspect that constant efforts to start the engine could well have registered a starter switch code. You did not mention any issue regarding starter operation. Ignore this meantime until you replace the sensor and clear the memory, when 12 should clear together with 21.

P.S. Check the how to section for a part number.
+1 Classic symptom of a bad temp sensor. If your computer is always sensing a warm engine and keeps the auxillary air valve shut, along with the closed-loop fuel maps, cold starts are a pain, if they happen at all.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 05-21-2010, 04:11 PM

What about if its the other way around. Mine starts fine when cold, but once gets hot doesnt always want to start. It doesnt do it all the time, but has happened 4 times in the last 2 weeks. Turns over fine but just wont start. The last time I didnt have time for it to cool down so just held gas to floor and it started. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.