SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

View Poll Results: did you check under your hood after reading this?
yes 2 5.56%
no 34 94.44%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-24-2004, 09:17 PM
Loki

Pulley Loose?

So here I am again, with more problems. The main pulley (that both belts run on from the cam) is a little loose or wobbely. My dad was leaving a parking garage going down the spiral when the smaller belt (drives the PS and Alt) came off the pulley. So my main question is how do I replace it. Is it supposed to be loose like that? The battery wont charge becasue of this and no powersteering kinda makes for a useless car.

Thanks in Advance for your replies.

Todd

MK153 - Sigma Nu
Old 05-24-2004, 09:34 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Belts

Hi everyone, A rule of thumb from the belt co's. is every four years. Mileage isn't a factor. I have never had a belt failure on any car I've had in 40 + years of driving. Take care, BOBB
Old 05-24-2004, 09:38 PM
I have a problem. :(

Send a message via AIM to shelfy Send a message via Yahoo to shelfy
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by I_Alcyone_I
i recently had both belts replaced.

1997 Subaru SVX LSi "Svetlana" #185 of 640 - 09/1996 - Polo Green Pearl - 34k miles

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L "Everett" #8738 - 01/1992 - Ebony Pearl - 139k miles - 5MT shifty - Sold 07/31/2011

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L "Sven" #1599 - 05/1991 - Claret - 168k miles - Traded 05/11/2005

2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited CVT - Crystal White Pearl - 2.8k miles
2021 Subaru Forester 2.5i Limited CVT - Horizon Blue Pearl - 17k miles
2023 Volkswagen Jetta S 6MT - Pure White - 2.6k miles
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Limited EV - Ceramic White - 30k miles
Old 05-25-2004, 02:07 AM
SVX Appeal

Re: Pulley Loose?

No, I feel no need to check the belts. If they fail, so what? Anywhere I am, a parts store is more than close enough to reach without an alternator, power steering, or air-conditioning, and still get to work and back home again where I have tools. As much as it offends my senses to do so, the belts can be changed with nothing more than pliers. Checking the timing belt seems much more important because that would leave me stranded and require more to fix than my Leatherman. ...but again, too much trouble and too inconsequential to worry about.

I might consider paying the extra money for the belts. Heck, I don't know what the difference is - or if there even is a difference - but on the reasonable chance that the more expensive product is superior, it's just not worth my time having to deal with a cheap product...and rubber products do seem to vary considerably.

Quote:
Originally posted by Loki So here I am again, with more problems. The main pulley (that both belts run on from the cam) is a little loose or wobbely. My dad was leaving a parking garage going down the spiral when the smaller belt (drives the PS and Alt) came off the pulley. So my main question is how do I replace it. Is it supposed to be loose like that? The battery wont charge becasue of this and no powersteering kinda makes for a useless car.
No, the pulleys should not be loose. Sounds like the screw (bolt) that holds it on has come loose. Fix it A.S.A.P. because it may damage things if it hasn't already.

Remove both belts and then check to see if the pulley really is loose or just bent. If it's bent, you'll probably need to replace it.

If it's loose, remove the screw that holds it on. Remove the pulley and key. (I'm not certain the SVX has a key, but I would bet on it, as my other Subarus all have one. The key is a little 'pin' that fits in a slot on the crankshaft and pulley to keep the pulley from spinning on the shaft.) Inspect the pulley for any damage. It should fit straight and should not take an obscene amount of force to remove.

Next, inspect the threads on the screw to make sure they're clean and not galled. Thread the screw into the crankshaft by hand. It should screw all (or at least most) the way in without much effort.

If everything looks good, assemble it and tighten the screw firmly. Don't forget to install the key! Start the engine and check to see if the pulley wobbles. If it's straight, you're golden! Tighten the screw to the recommended torque. (I don't know what it is off the top of my head.)
Old 05-25-2004, 05:17 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to CigarJohnny
No, I did not look under my hood after reading this. At least not yet. I just got done reading it for crying out loud. Still at my desk. lol

Johnny (always a smart ass when possible)

Ebony Mica '92 LS 80K Oct 2002 - Dec 2004: Victim of theft. She served me well.

You can tell the lack of craftsmanship by the wrinkles in the duct tape.
Old 05-25-2004, 09:42 AM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

I also didn't look under my hood...

But I did inspect my belts when I bought my car 1 month ago. They all looked new, and there were no cracks or signs of wear...

Sorry to hear what happened to you, but glad you were able to find a quick, cheap fix and be on your way again!

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 05-25-2004, 11:31 AM
The Croupier

Well , I bought a belt from Earl at the maintance meet when we flushed & changed the power O ring.
I checked everything again when I Put on the high pro rotors & pads & flushed the brake fluid.
And I just had the trany flushed & everything still seems to be where it should be.
And I plan on flushing the radiator in the next few weeks So for now I think I can try & NOT pop the hood for at least a week

If you Drive HARD you learn to stay on TOP of all maintance
03 Yamaha V-star custom /classic 3k
Old 05-25-2004, 01:35 PM

powersteering blues

During a real serious drag race I always race with no power steering or ac belt just a belt that fit around the idler pulley crank and alternator, free hp,and drove around for weeks with no powersteering,but I have a 490 benchpress so its not a big deal,but you had to walk I would have drove her till the battery quit.
Old 05-25-2004, 08:50 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
My crank pulley separated on the way to work today and took out both belts with it. Had to drive home with no accessories. luckily the optima red top had enough power to get me through the 30 minute drive home.

No power steering really sucked.

It is going to suck to drive the celica while waiting for a new crank pulley to come in.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 05-25-2004, 08:56 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Pulley Loose?

Quote:
Originally posted by Loki
So here I am again, with more problems. The main pulley (that both belts run on from the cam) is a little loose or wobbely. My dad was leaving a parking garage going down the spiral when the smaller belt (drives the PS and Alt) came off the pulley. So my main question is how do I replace it. Is it supposed to be loose like that? The battery wont charge becasue of this and no powersteering kinda makes for a useless car.

Thanks in Advance for your replies.

Todd

MK153 - Sigma Nu
You will want to check if the main pulley bolt is loose (not too common) or if the pulley is separating at the rubber section (pretty common)
If it is separating you will need a new crank pulley. Do a search here on "crank pulley" there have been quite a few recent threads on how to change it out and there are links to a how-to with pictures.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.