SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Reading Meet
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2010, 02:34 PM
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Freeman
Registered SVX
Re: Hopefully not my last Reading but if this keeps up...

This April was too cold.. It was the suggestion of someone there that we move it back a month or so..
1992 Pearl White LS-L "Ruslana" #4946 - 180k on body, 95k on engine.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
†"War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left"†
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 04-18-2010, 02:36 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Hi everyone, I just told my wife that "NEXT YEAR" we will be at Reading. Yes, I have a garage queen, but its real pretty. The two of us are going to try and make it to Earl's DABOB. I would like to thank Earl for naming it after me. I think we might be driving the farthest to get there. My sister lives in California, so we will stop to see her and my daughter in Indiana. The old girl will have more miles put on her than in the last eight or nine years. The SVX will get a lot of miles as well. Take care and see you at Reading next year, BOBB
Old 04-18-2010, 03:35 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpear View Post
Guys, if you don't mind me asking, but why you always do Reading meets in April? Why not in July/August when it is basically summer instead?
Danny,

Short answer -- tradition. The original "Reading" meet was held in April and every year we kick around the idea of moving it, but ultimately we end up scheduling it for the third weekend in April, unless it conflicts with Easter.

Also, that's why it is referred to as the "Reading" meet, even though it has NEVER been held in Reading. (It was supposed to be there, but they never quite made it that far.)

I guess it's a good thing that Ben Rowley's original meet date got pushed back a month, or we'd be having our meet in March!

I am also in favor of moving it to June or so... especially after these last couple of years. Brrrrr!

1992 Liquid Silver LSL, >230K -- "Silver Bullet" // dimpled/slotted rotors, SS brakes lines, 5000K HID headlights // TRI-TONE paint
Old 04-18-2010, 04:08 PM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX

There's no question that my Pearly was no showpiece this year. It's still got decal goo from one of the obligatory decals from last year's National Tour on its right rear fender. The front wheels are twice as filthy as the filthy rear ones from my never-gonna-buy-'em-again Axxis pads (I'll verbally clean this up) spitting dust all over them, and the distance from the car wash to the Holiday Inn would have coated them all over again. The glovebox is out because I'm completing an alarm/remote start install which has given me a little struggle. The two notable rust spots are just proof of its experience with the salt in my Salt City, which it will never experience again - at least not in my hands. The trunk gap thing I can't explain, but I'm working that out.

And for everybody ('cos you're all asking ): The slot in the waterfall is a cutout for my remote mount radar detector antenna. It's ugly. It's experimental. It's temporary.

Given that the engine sounded like <this> last fall and that swapping engines was a new frontier for me, time and money was quickly consumed by a junkyard mill. For a good share of folks, that might have been a parts car candidate!

All told, now that I'm out of the weather that would give you hypothermia while doing a manual wash and back to being able to do anything substantial after some sinus surgery, the Pearly will be on the continuing road forward from what may well be its lowest point since the engine failed.

I won't promise fresh paint for Reading XII, but it'll arrive without the impression that it was a $750 basket case that happens to be able to roll under its own power.
Old 04-18-2010, 06:20 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob View Post
As one who quickly came to realize that Reading isn't about the cars but rather about the great people here. I came away from this years Reading simply horrified by the condition of nearly 1/2 of the cars at Reading. As the car ages it i showing that there is definately a lack of "pride of ownership" among some of the cars there. It was more like a trip to a parts car section of a car meet then anything else.

Of course there were plenty of very nice solid examples there to but the cars quickly went down hill from there. As one who enjoys the build of a project car more than buying a shiney example that you know nothing about I truely hope that these cars are mearly "works in progress" and that next year I will see a marked improvement in many of them. Otherwise, I fear that I won't stick around beyond visiting with some of the many friends I've come to know through the SVX. It is simply not enjoyable to sit by watching the rapidly declining overall condition of the average SVX. Yes I realize that values do not justify the cost of a proper restoration on a 18 year old SVX but pride of ownership should justify it provided it is a car worthy of a restoration. Remember, any restoration is a money loser for the owner. It is simply the owners desire to keep the mark alive (and usually a very understanding better half) which results in a proper restoration not finaical incentives which will likely never come.

I'm not saying any of this to judge any of the owners in attendance as I do realize that everyone is in different situations and had different priorities but rather as an observation of the rapid decline of many cars.

That said it was great to see everyone and meet some of the newer members in attendence. Lets just see what everyone can do to make next years reading a little better and little more lets say "polished".
Definitely gone British Ben.

I would say the majority of people who drove their cars there came a long distance. By the looks of things the weather was anti social. After one of the worst winters on record for many locations!

Pride for most of these people is pride in driving there, meeting their friends, pride in driving home and then many using their cars as a daily transport. It's more than a little harsh to say the cars in attendance were not polished to a certain level showing pride of ownership.

BTW, a TVR owner I met in England reckoned that most people thought TVRs were very low to the ground and sporty looking. He reckoned that in their normal and natural environment on the back of a flat bed transporter they were very tall cars, really.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 04-18-2010, 06:39 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist View Post
Definitely gone British Ben.

I would say the majority of people who drove their cars there came a long distance. By the looks of things the weather was anti social. After one of the worst winters on record for many locations!

Pride for most of these people is pride in driving there, meeting their friends, pride in driving home and then many using their cars as a daily transport. It's more than a little harsh to say the cars in attendance were not polished to a certain level showing pride of ownership.

BTW, a TVR owner I met in England reckoned that most people thought TVRs were very low to the ground and sporty looking. He reckoned that in their normal and natural environment on the back of a flat bed transporter they were very tall cars, really.

Joe
Actually, the average distance driven has definately gone down. It wasn't so much of a lack of cleanliness or polish but rather countless cars that I couldn't even talk my inspection guy into stickering and yes he stickered my TVR when it barely moved under its own power. Many of these cars were in the exact same state of disrepair as last year. As Mike said it isn't so much a cut on anyone there but rather the sad realization of how quickly the herd is thinning.

Yeah the TVR does fit nicely on top of a flat bed. It isn't the easiest thing to get there though. Quite a few got to take it for a spin, only hiccup was a certain Tom forgetting to turn the radiator fan on but not being to worried as it neared 140 degrees. He didn't realize it was celcius. Maybe he can change that out when he puts a 302 in it this fall. You know I do try to get cars down to a managable weight.
Old 04-18-2010, 06:51 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX

I will be the first to admit that my car isn't a showpiece. The fenders are rusting in the corners and I have a little less of my quarter panels every day. However, this in now way detracts from the pride I take in owning and driving my SVX. My car is always clean (washed once a week during summer, rinsed at least twice a week in the winter), the interior is spotless, and every mechanical aspect is cared for. The fact is I'm a full time student. I don't have the income to shell out several thousand dollars for a full restoration of the body. It is slowly improving. I replaced the doors with rust free ones 1.5 years ago. I have new fenders at home that are awaiting paint.

There's a big difference between "pride of ownership" and a show car. Just because my car isn't the prettiest one on the road doesn't mean that I have a grain less pride in it that someone who has invested $100,000 in something.

And I look forward to attending the next Reading meet that I am able to. Currently it conflicts nicely with my school exam schedule. Hopefully I'll be there for Reading XIII.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 04-18-2010, 07:01 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX

Not having been there I'm just defending my friends.

The point about TVRs is not that they are bad cars, they are not actually built to German or Japanese levels of engineering, to which levels the SVX certainly is. And you shouldn't be able to talk your sticker guy into writing a certificate. By definition compliance should not be a subjective thing.

Cars in use will never be able to have the ultimate garage queen sheen. As they get older and used more they will show more wear and tear.

I personally would prefer to see them used than to see them polished. But when a nice clean garage queen sees the light, I'll slaver with the best of them.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 04-18-2010, 07:07 PM
Siren of the Pleiades

Send a message via AIM to SUBBYRU89

I washed my car Friday...then rain...then a tree crapped flower petals all over her...Saturday coffee drive...some petals blew off, some not...Sunday more petals blew off. The only thing that annoyed me this year was the weather, but the libations stayed cold
'89 XT6 Pearl White~JuiceBox (Project)
'92 SVX BoverP~Peej (Down for the moment) 1st Stage II trans installed by AWD,15 & 20 min mods,...
Old 04-18-2010, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot View Post
I will be the first to admit that my car isn't a showpiece. The fenders are rusting in the corners and I have a little less of my quarter panels every day. However, this in now way detracts from the pride I take in owning and driving my SVX. My car is always clean (washed once a week during summer, rinsed at least twice a week in the winter), the interior is spotless, and every mechanical aspect is cared for. The fact is I'm a full time student. I don't have the income to shell out several thousand dollars for a full restoration of the body. It is slowly improving. I replaced the doors with rust free ones 1.5 years ago. I have new fenders at home that are awaiting paint.

There's a big difference between "pride of ownership" and a show car. Just because my car isn't the prettiest one on the road doesn't mean that I have a grain less pride in it that someone who has invested $100,000 in something.

And I look forward to attending the next Reading meet that I am able to. Currently it conflicts nicely with my school exam schedule. Hopefully I'll be there for Reading XIII.
Did you read my posts Crazy, I'm talking about the cars which don't have doors replaced, or fenders painted or even wipers replaced even though you can see where it is starting to etch a very pricey windshield. Sure I guess you can be proud of the perfect circular line it leave but I wouldn't call that pride, I'd call it neglect.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist View Post
Not having been there I'm just defending my friends.

The point about TVRs is not that they are bad cars, they are not actually built to German or Japanese levels of engineering, to which levels the SVX certainly is. And you shouldn't be able to talk your sticker guy into writing a certificate. By definition compliance should not be a subjective thing.

Cars in use will never be able to have the ultimate garage queen sheen. As they get older and used more they will show more wear and tear.

I personally would prefer to see them used than to see them polished. But when a nice clean garage queen sees the light, I'll slaver with the best of them.

Joe
I couldnt' agree with you more. I've known my inspection guy for years and he can be very understanding when you need to get a car legal so you can sort it outside of your driveway. Even had most everything working when I took it in, just lacking any emissions equipment which is only an issue the first year in PA. After that I can get an exemption based on mileage.

Having been across the pond, I'd even suspect that a full half of the cars in attendance wouldn't get through your process. My TVR included! When you can go to the junkyard and see better examples. The end is nearing! That said quite a few cars look better each year.

As for seeing them driven. That's exactly why I passed mine on. A car needs to be driven and mine wasn't. It got more miles put on it in 3 months then I did in 5 years when it left. I just don't drive a ton.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:21 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Ben,
when I read your post I felt that you might be speaking about my Claret

Someone has backed into the front bumper recently!
No note!
and the paint has cracked,
there are a few more hail dents, the grille is missing
(to save a 1/4#.)
AND I did not have/TAKE the time to wash Her.

However She knows that She is loved, always gets premium, Mobile1, and BG Products ATF, and has every mod a car could want.
And then some!

Life is getting away from some of us, we should try to slow down.
We should ALL take some time to wax our babies, pet our dogs/cats, and watch in wonder as our children grow....
Life is short.
Cut in line!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link

Last edited by svxfiles; 04-19-2010 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Misspelled "and"
Old 04-18-2010, 07:37 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Actually, the average distance driven has definately gone down. Bla, bla, bla, Quite a few got to take it for a spin, only hiccup was a certain Tom forgetting to turn the radiator fan on but not being to worried as it neared 140 degrees. He didn't realize it was celcius. Maybe he can change that out when he puts a 302 in it this fall. You know I do try to get cars down to a managable weight.
OK, ok, it was the Tom WITHOUT the little girlie hands!

Sorry T!

the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 04-18-2010, 08:10 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX

Quote:
Did you read my posts Crazy, I'm talking about the cars which don't have doors replaced, or fenders painted or even wipers replaced even though you can see where it is starting to etch a very pricey windshield. Sure I guess you can be proud of the perfect circular line it leave but I wouldn't call that pride, I'd call it neglect.
Understood. Sorry if I came across a little harshly. I've had a few people (Civic drivers, etc.) "look down" on my car because of it's condition, so I'm a little touchy about it sometimes.

I do understand what you mean though. I've worked on way too many cars that are unsanitary (to the point I refuse to touch them), falling apart, completely neglected... It frustrates me to no end.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 04-19-2010, 09:57 AM

Not you or yours Tom as I'd suspect that yours will be among the few hundred of running examples in 10 years. Wait, I mean you will have a handful of running examples in 10 years.

The SVX is not the type of car you can neglect and then think you're going to restore. Once its gone down that path it will cost ya dearly to get it back to respectability. After seeing the "cream of the crop" at Reading (where people who actually care about the marque go to meet) you would have to be blind not to see where the community is heading and how the number of cars is quickly dwindling. It is the overall condition of the cars rather than any single example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxfiles View Post
Ben,
when I read your post I felt that you might be speaking about my Claret

Someone has backed into the front bumper recently!
No note!
and the paint has cracked,
there are a few more hail dents, the grille is missing
(to save a 1/4#.)
AND I did not have/TAKE the time to wash Her.

However She knows that She is loved, always gets premium, Mobile1, and BG Products ATF, and has every mod a car could want.
Ant then some!

Life is getting away from some of us, we should try to slow down.
We should ALL take some time to wax our babies, pet our dogs/cats, and watch in wonder as our children grow....
Life is short.
Cut in line!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!