How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2001, 08:06 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Could Someone Check . . .

. . . who has original windshield wiper blades/arms on their SVX. Is the little rubber stopper that contacts the rubber rest on the cowling, attached to the blade, or the arm? I've been jealous since the Smokies, that I'm missing mine. Thank you.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 06-04-2001, 09:36 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
It's on the blade, Aredub, which is why you gotta just replace the rubber, not the whole blade, as someone obviously did before. Still, I'll swap you the "authentic" blade for the rubber cowl piece. Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 06-04-2001, 10:09 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Mummert
It's on the blade, Aredub, which is why you gotta just replace the rubber, not the whole blade, as someone obviously did before. Still, I'll swap you the "authentic" blade for the rubber cowl piece. Ron.
Yeah. I posted (somewhat at length) on this before. When you ask for a "Blade" to be replaced, you're actually asking for the metal part that holds the rubber to be replaced. That is, if you're dealing with someone who takes your request "technically." If you want the "rubber" replaced only, you ask them for "refills."

As for the trade . . . um . . . no.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 06-08-2001, 08:57 AM
Cayent

Wiper blade stops

Randy,
The bumpers are on the blades. I just replaced mine with Genuine Subaru blades, and discovered that there is no bumper on the new blade for the passenger side. The driver side blade has the bumper just like the original. This is my first post on this site. I was off the air for about six months, and when I came back, I thought I'd lost you guys:>( Larryiii squared me away!
Cayent
Old 06-08-2001, 09:04 AM

Registered SVX
Cayent, I'm happy you were able to find us. Good to see you back in the "groove." So, was the pass's side blade just *missing* the bumper? Or, do they no longer come with one? I'd be majorly PO'd to order OEM blades and not get the bumper.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 06-08-2001, 11:45 AM
Cayent

Randy,
I don't know whether they stopped making the bumpers on the passenger side blades, or they just substituted a blade that fits all Subarus. I got the new replacements from my local Subaru dealer, who had to order the blades. I didn't catch the difference until I was installing the new ones, and planned to ask the parts folks about it, but I keep forgetting! Frankly, I'm so elated to have wipers that wipe CLEAN, that its not a big issue with me anymore. I can't remember how many refills I've installed, hoping to save a buck. After awhile those old blade springs get stretched and can't maintain enough pressure against the glass to get a good wipe.
Cayent
Old 06-08-2001, 11:59 AM

Registered SVX
<<After awhile those old blade springs get stretched and can't maintain enough pressure against the glass to get a good wipe. >>

That's what I'm experiencing now (can't get a good wipe -- don't go there y'all). Not to mention the "lift" off the windshield at speeds over 60. I've used a lot of rain-X. But, it's "form" more than functionality that makes me want the OE blades. I'm driven by my jealousy after the Smokies Meet. Thanks. And, when you remember to ask the parts folks, let me know what you've found out.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 06-08-2001, 12:50 PM
Lowered SVX

aredub.....

YOU WILL NEVER GET THE ORIGINALS.........HAHAHAHA.....ok just kidding, i am not that evil. just wanted to let out a little rage. hope your quest ends in truimph......Search for the Holy Blades....works for me!
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 06-21-2001, 10:06 AM
Cayent

Wiper Blades With Bumpers

Aredubjay,
I discussed the blade bumper problem with my local Subaru parts guy. He didn't have an answer as to why my replacement driver side blade had the bumper and the passenger side did not. All the numbers were correct. My theory is that those blades are made to fit several Subarus, and unless you specifically order them for the SVX, you may get the generic version (without the bumpers). I remember that when I ordered my replacements, they had everything in stock except the driver's side, which they special ordered. When I picked up the whole order, it was the only one with the bumper. Anyway, after our discussion, he special ordered a set of SVX front blades. They came in yesterday, and both had the bumpers. He suggested that you specifically ask for the blades with the bumpers so they will have to special order, if they are not in stock. The parts diagram that he used did not show the bumper. Hope this helps. NO, he didn't offer to replace my non-bumper blade; but then it is six months old, and I didn't know I had a problem until our "eagle-eye friend from Kentucky" brought to our attention:>)
Cayent