Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > Down Under

Old 04-26-2010, 02:40 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Auckland - Time for a meetup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist View Post
Kia ora Trevor

Is the added wing the one sticking out of your boot? That must block your view to the rear a bit as well.
Yes and it does, but it is photo detachable.

Quote:
I don't doubt your remarks on the handling. Bad tyres + good handling = fun! I expect it's quick enough in your hands too without a blower, but I'm of the generation that believe you don't have enough power until you have too much. My bike has 160 hp and on dry roads with good tyres acceleration is like what being shot from a cannon must feel. The downside is riding in the wet. Even with good wet grip tyres it's too easy to unstick the back, there is a lot of power trying to break free from a 2" contact patch. So when grip is there you ride with glee, when grip is suspect you ride with respect.
I did not mention the wet weather performance of the tyres for good reason. But then again, on the rare occasion that I put the hood up, it does keep one interested and occupied.

Quote:
Another car you would like the dynamics is the Honda S2000. Everything is designed for driver involvement and handling. The engine is way way back in the chassis for handling and to deliver more weight to the driven wheels. It has low power low down but becomes a vtec screamer like a race car if you keep the revs on. Very like the original motorbike engined cars from Mr Honda, I don't know how many here would remember them.
I have tried the mid engine Honda and the MG but did not find them fun. The much modified series four Lotus Seven I owned not too long ago was fun on the road. But ---- Chapman was no engineer. A Fiat 2000 Spider I had at the same time, was disappointing.

I would have to rate the rubber suspension Mini Cooper, fitted with a 1275 cc race engine I owned for racing, as being maximum road fun, and very, very quick. Now that car represented the pinnacle of practical British engineering, sadly spoiled by the trade unions. Isagonis (spelling?) taught the world how to make a motor car.

Quote:
The SVX is an old man's car, yes. It is not at all as sporty as it could be, and that's the way they designed it. It's a GT, not a sports car. So happens a GT is what I like. Track hard suspension is a pain in the butt on bumpy back roads. Useless. The SVX can handle most roads you can throw at it in comfort and at some pace. Joe
Exactly, exactly Joe and the design is spot on for its intended purpose. That is why I have one. Messing with it and trying to make it into something it can never be, is folly. It is the only car I have owned which did not require adjustment of the driving position outside of that provided. I was happy the moment I sat in it and twiddled the buttons and levers.

Cheers, Trevor.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 04-26-2010, 03:29 PM

Cool Re: Auckland - Time for a meetup?

Funny how similar we are Trevor, I also owned a -

1964 Mini Cooper S 1275cc BRG

1972 Mitsubishi GTO 1700SL (took me 5 years to rebuild, before selling & sending back to new owner in Japan).

1974 Lotus 7 S4 (with removable hard-top) - great impractacle car, fun to drive at car meetings - 0-60mph was unreal!!!

1977 Honda EB1 fitted with 1335cc 5sp uprated suspension (NO movement), Kelly 235/50 R13 wheels - cut & flared wings, custom paint job.

1987 Honda 1300cc LX (last of the carb types) - Brand new..off show room floor - then 6 months later is was running 20Ib boost, with water injection, Turbo T04 (from BMW 2002), Fittapaldi skirts & spoilers, 16" mags, uprated brakes & suspension, 1mm spacer plate between head & block, one 2 1/2" carb from Jag - still managed to get 40mpg & had a top speed around Pukekohe of 235km/h - not bad from a 1300cc street legal car (without any bulges or cutouts in the engine area !!!).

1995 SVX - bla bla bla
Old 04-26-2010, 05:36 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Re: Auckland - Time for a meetup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Yes and it does, but it is photo detachable.
Your ride has been pimped by Photochop!

Quote:
I have tried the mid engine Honda and the MG but did not find them fun. The much modified series four Lotus Seven I owned not too long ago was fun on the road. But ---- Chapman was no engineer. A Fiat 2000 Spider I had at the same time, was disappointing.
No, no, not mid engined cars. The S2000 is Front Engine, Rear Drive:

S 2000

Quote:
I would have to rate the rubber suspension Mini Cooper, fitted with a 1275 cc race engine I owned for racing, as being maximum road fun, and very, very quick. Now that car represented the pinnacle of practical British engineering, sadly spoiled by the trade unions. Isagonis (spelling?) taught the world how to make a motor car.
Phil in England [the other Phil!] races Minis and would agree with you on that score.

Quote:
Exactly, exactly Joe and the design is spot on for its intended purpose. That is why I have one. Messing with it and trying to make it into something it can never be, is folly. It is the only car I have owned which did not require adjustment of the driving position outside of that provided. I was happy the moment I sat in it and twiddled the buttons and levers.

Cheers, Trevor.
I think all of us SVX people have recognised the basic car is actually a very complete motor car and is close to perfect.

Cheers.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: