How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 08-11-2002, 02:10 AM
Green1995SVX

Spark Plugs

With the help of a friend, I managed to change the spark plugs on my svx. The job wasnt as bad as I thought it would be, everything went smoothly.

The plugs were, as far as I know, the original plugs (at 123,000 miles) and were quite dirty (as I expected.) I installed a new set of bosch +4's, and the difference is outstanding! The car revs MUCH more smoothly, and acceleration is MUCH better especially in second gear. The thing that shocked me the most is it changed the exhaust note of the car. It is different. I cant describe what is different about it, though. Oh well, maybe I will know what to say after I get some sleep.

-Mike
Old 08-11-2002, 10:49 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
I noticed a slight difference in power with my car after changing the plugs but mainly at higher RPM's. I stayed with the OEM NGK's though.

I was considering the Bosch +4's until I compared the 2 plugs side by side. The NGK's have platinum on both sides of the spark while any other plug, including the Bosch, has platinum only for the electrode.

On the old plugs (80,000+ miles) I noticed the extra platinum had burned off.
Old 08-11-2002, 10:58 AM
Directionally Challenged

Send a message via AIM to Shadowyng
Lightbulb

Changing the spark plugs at 100,00 is good in theory, (right up there with oil change extending fluid[not]), but if you busy twisting yourself in yoga positions to work on something else under the hood , do yourself a favor and make the change before 100k. It made my car run better with the change at 75,000. I replaced them all without to much trouble. The plug that found itself a bit more resistant was the left far corner.. after the air box and battery was out ,,, it was possible to get it out by using a board to lift the enging a bit off the engine mounts to get enough room to work the plug out.
Old 08-11-2002, 11:02 AM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Platinum plugs are normally available in single (ground electrode only) and double platinum (both electrodes.) Naturally, different plug configurations may dictate whether each is available from any one manufacturer.
Old 08-11-2002, 11:04 AM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
I don't understand why some people are having such a hard time getting the plugs out. With the engine cold, all 6 plugs can come out without any special tools or jacking up of the car or engine. Even the access hole through the fender is unnecessary.

KuoH
Old 08-11-2002, 11:36 AM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
That's a good point, and very important. Don't ever remove the plugs from an aluminum head while it's warm - you stand a good chance of pulling the threads out with the plug if you do.

I had no big problem changing them. They're a heckuva lot easier than some that I've done recently. A socket, a ratchet and a 3" long extension removed all six without resorting to any heroics or blood loss.
Old 08-11-2002, 12:15 PM
Multiple Suby Owner

Mike, glad to see you did not have any problems.
Old 08-11-2002, 03:43 PM
dart

Quote:
Originally posted by kuoh
I don't understand why some people are having such a hard time getting the plugs out. With the engine cold, all 6 plugs can come out without any special tools or jacking up of the car or engine. Even the access hole through the fender is unnecessary.

KuoH
I agree. I changed out the plugs one saturday morning. Started at 9:00AM and was done by lunchtime. On both my wifes as well as my SVX. The second car was easier.
Old 08-12-2002, 01:40 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
On my car, the plugs came out okay, and I didn't need the access holes, but the boots om the plugs were another story. Most of them stuck on the plugs and I tore three of them badly. I had to replace them with some sorta-similar boots from an aftermarket Bosch plugwire set.

After 129k miles, my original plugs were dirty, but all of them were still gapped within spec and almost identically.

I replaced my plugs with the stock NGKs from 1stSubaruParts.com.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 08-12-2002, 02:49 PM
Green1995SVX

I used the access hole. I just dont see how you guys did it without using that thing.

-Mike
Old 08-12-2002, 05:19 PM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
The plugs are recessed deep enough that with a plug socket and a 3" extension, the end of the extension is flush with the valve cover. You just pop the socket wrench on at that point and loosen the plug. You just have to be careful not to scrape too much gunk from around the hole on to the end of the new plug as you put it back in.

KuoH
Old 08-16-2002, 09:22 PM

Registered SVX
I replaced the original plugs with Bosch +4's. Good so far....