Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2002, 01:39 PM
private_idaho

SVX shopping

First, I would like to thank the person(s) responsible for this board (Chris?) I just found it about a week ago, and it has been a great help in my search. That's right, I don't yet own an SVX.

I had been shopping for a BMW 325ix (the awd they produced for the US 1988-1991) when I happened to drive by a local used car dealer with an SVX for sale. "Hmmm" I think to myself, "That, too, is a sport-oriented awd coupe, I should look..." Long story short, I think the SVX offers more for a lower price, and I am fairly certain I will get an SVX instead.

Unfortunately, the one at the local shop has some "issues." Well, ok, any 10 year old car is going to have issues, but I think I can find a better deal. But the Boise market isn't exactly huge, so I am expanding my search to nearby larger cities (primarily Salt Lake and Seattle.)

I have done enough research here and elsewhere to know the major issues (tranny, bearings, etc.), but I would appreciate any additional shopping advice you all might have to offer. I would also VERY MUCH appreciate any persons in SLC or Seattle areas that might be willing to look at a car or two for me. I can only learn so much over the phone, and while travel to these cities isn't too expensive, I would much rather have someone who knows a bit about the SVX take a look-see for me before I travel. (I would be willing/able to offer some compensation for the assistance...)

Again, thanks to the bb hosts, and thanks in advance for your input/advice/assistance.
Old 08-03-2002, 02:20 PM
Boone

Greetings and welcome aboard. Be sure to take a good look around. Here's a good site in Seattle. It's got lots of SVX info and classifieds.

http://www.cars101.com/subaru_svx.html
Old 08-03-2002, 05:55 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Jamsvx Send a message via Yahoo to Jamsvx
Welcome!!

Rare car the ix!! Apparently the 5 series was also released in ix form and the E class Merc (at least in Europe). Those lucky devils also got the 6 speed 7 series V12

Anyways, I have been seeking an SVX for a very very long time and also in a market where there are very few SVX's to begin with.

My advice would be to either a) hold out for a later model (and they come up very regular in US....cf Australia where there are 3 1997's!) or b) buy an earlier model but work into the price the usual things that fail - tranny, air con climate control (has become more common here..and also Japan as I understand it), drivers switches, bearings, leakage in rear lights, drivers visor..etc etc.

Also, I have been told that the driver shaft where it couples to the rear diff had a TSB - perhaps make sure that that was done.

Good hunting!!

James

27 August 2002 to 27 January 2004 - she will be missed

Was back in Sydney for a while but not hot enough so now in Dubai! Has it been that long since I owned SVX-33H!
Old 08-04-2002, 05:55 AM

i have had my SVX for a while now and i have had no major problems with it. mine is a 92. the most expensive fix was a cam shaft seal leaking oil. i bought a warr on this car for the 2 years it was offered. this covers the tranny, labor, engine, towing, ect. if you are able to buy one with the car, i would go for it. the cars are the greatest, but it is hard to find a good mechanic these days, i got lucky, mine owns a SVX

Kelli

ps welcome aboard!
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
owner of the new 1992 LS-L Pearl "Susie"
I am a pessimistic optimistic. I think the worst is going to happen, that way when it does, i don't feel as bad, but if the best happens, i am twice as happy.
Old 08-04-2002, 08:51 AM
livin in AZ

Thumbs up SVX shopping in Utah

Ahoy! Ahoy! Welcome to the club, Idaho, I am in Ogden and there are at least a few SVX's for sale around here every couple months. I usually stop to take a look at them anyway so I could get the info, take it for a spin, and give you a call. So if you have any specifics on color, year, and packages I'll try to help as much as possible, I'll PM you my info...........Darren out

Social Distortion

1992 LS-L Pearl White :Optima Red Top, Motorsports Warehouse drop springs and swaybar bushings, Race Concepts slotted and dimpled rotors ,SS brake lines,semi-metalic brake pads, 4.11 5 speed, STi short shifter and tranny mount, Exedy sport clutch, Kartboy shifter bushings, intake silencer removed, ECU Tune Stage 1 v4