How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 07-18-2002, 07:55 PM
siasvx

transmission

Well I hate to bring up this old issue again, but here goes. I am in need of either a rebuilt or new or a place to get a transmission rebuilt. I have a 94 with a 2WD tranny that is out. I have heard that there is a couple of places that will convert these to a 5 speed for about 4 grand. That doesn't sound to bad since it is going to cost about that to get one from the dealer and have it put in. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am from Indiana and also work at SIA. I really wanted to have my car at the meet this weekend but I will not be able to get it there. I am sure I will see some of you there as I want to meet others like myself.
Old 07-18-2002, 08:05 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: transmission

Quote:
Originally posted by siasvx
Well I hate to bring up this old issue again, but here goes. I am in need of either a rebuilt or new or a place to get a transmission rebuilt. I have a 94 with a 2WD tranny that is out. I have heard that there is a couple of places that will convert these to a 5 speed for about 4 grand. That doesn't sound to bad since it is going to cost about that to get one from the dealer and have it put in. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am from Indiana and also work at SIA. I really wanted to have my car at the meet this weekend but I will not be able to get it there. I am sure I will see some of you there as I want to meet others like myself.

You are about to hit tranny information overload. The experiences that we've all had could fill a library. There'll be plenty of good info for you. So, come on in for a visit. There will be a five-speed at the meet (Huck is bringing his) and he can tell you how he did it for around a thousand bucks. And his is AWD. Perhaps it'll be less expensive for a FWD.

I look forward to meeting you.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 07-18-2002, 09:05 PM

Quote:
I look forward to meeting you.
Yeah, I'm bringing my Legacy GT, proudly built in Lafayette. Lucy get's to see where she was born!

I can't wait to see all those SVX's in one location. I hope I don't giggle like a little schoolgirl. Awww, what am I saying? I'm already doing it...

'02 Toyota MR2 Spyder

(Previous '93 SVX Owner)
Old 07-18-2002, 11:28 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by richeich

Yeah, I'm bringing my Legacy GT, proudly built in Lafayette. Lucy get's to see where she was born!

I can't wait to see all those SVX's in one location. I hope I don't giggle like a little schoolgirl. Awww, what am I saying? I'm already doing it...
Rich,
Having you on this board more often is giving me a memory rush!! Sometimes it seems like forever ago when we were conversing on Yahoo. I've missed having you around. Looking forward to finally meeting you.

Now, don't giggle too much. <NANANANA-BOOBOO!!>
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 07-19-2002, 05:55 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: transmission

Quote:
Originally posted by siasvx
I think you should look at getting a used Legacy FWD tranny, I pick one up for a Legacy we used to have for $200 (the FWD don't bring nearly what the AWD's do! ).
You'd have to get your SVX Torque Converter rebuilt, as the Legacy's won't work with the SVX flywheel.
But I believe you'd like the lower gears of the Legacy tranny.
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 07-26-2002, 02:02 PM
WOLFHAUSEN

SUBARU HAS FACTOR REBUILD TRANS FOR $2700 WITH 24K WARRANTY-THESE ARE THE BEST DEAL BECAUST HEY CORRECT SOME EARLY PRODUCTION PROBLEMS
Old 07-26-2002, 02:34 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Quote:
Originally posted by WOLFHAUSEN
SUBARU HAS FACTOR REBUILD TRANS FOR $2700 WITH 24K WARRANTY-THESE ARE THE BEST DEAL BECAUST HEY CORRECT SOME EARLY PRODUCTION PROBLEMS
We know. I have one of those installed on my money pit (look down below). But if you want a 5 speed, since SOA is not going to import H-6 with 5 speed, you have to make your own.

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!