Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-31-2009, 08:49 PM

water pump replacement, factory or not?

My water pump stopped and ate my timing belt. Does anyone have experience with non-factory repair parts? I heard that it is important to get the factory belt. Are there any other parts that should be factory or is after-market ok for the pump, idlers, and tensioner. Also, what are the odds that my valves are ok after the belt was destroyed?
Old 03-31-2009, 08:54 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: water pump replacement, factory or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolred_carman View Post
My water pump stopped and ate my timing belt. Does anyone have experience with non-factory repair parts? I heard that it is important to get the factory belt. Are there any other parts that should be factory or is after-market ok for the pump, idlers, and tensioner. Also, what are the odds that my valves are ok after the belt was destroyed?
I have seen people post on here that it seems best to go with the OEM water pump but it is okay to use something like the ebay kit for the timing belt, idlers, etc. Just don't buy the ebay kits that include the water pump as a few here have had problems with them.
Old 03-31-2009, 11:09 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Valves are fine, non interference motor. I used an A1 Cardone water pump which has worked fine so far. As far as the belt, any good name brand belt will be fine.... it doesnt have to be Subaru.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Does anyone have experience with non-factory repair parts?
In 30+ years of driving I've never bought "genuine" OEM parts if there's an aftermarket equivalent available. If I don't source SVX parts personally, my regular mechanic is a NAPA affiliate. He put a water pump on my teal some 40,000 miles ago. No problems.

I'd cheerfully order Subaru replacement parts if they were remotely competitive on price. Generally, I don't believe there's any meaningful disparity in quality.

dcb
Old 04-01-2009, 08:52 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarrb View Post
In 30+ years of driving I've never bought "genuine" OEM parts if there's an aftermarket equivalent available. If I don't source SVX parts personally, my regular mechanic is a NAPA affiliate. He put a water pump on my teal some 40,000 miles ago. No problems.

I'd cheerfully order Subaru replacement parts if they were remotely competitive on price. Generally, I don't believe there's any meaningful disparity in quality.

dcb
Maybe not quality but I have had my share of fitment issues with aftermarket new pumps. Remanufactured OEM pumps should be fine

Tom