How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-16-2002, 01:00 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Is my head Gasket BAD?

I think my radiator blew apart because the head gasket is leaking. Is that possible? For the head gasket to allow air/gas mixture from the cyclinder into the coolant but not coolant into the cyclinder?
Old 07-16-2002, 01:40 PM
The Road Less Traveled

You were "bypassing" the radiator after the incident, right?

See if there's any oil in the coolant now.

VK
Old 07-16-2002, 03:44 PM
billisa

Question Weird...

Having blown a gasket in a Fiat, I never knew you could blow the radiator because of this.. Also, didn't you say the coolant overflow was full? Is it possible you simply blew the radiator and don't have a gasket problem? Why do you think the head gaskets are involved at all? Was the car blowing thick white smoke out the exhaust? Then, it looks like a gasket. Interesting, I think you said the temp gauge gave no warning... Maybe you were getting adequate colling with the fluid blowing out and turned the motor off in time to save any permanent damage.
Old 07-16-2002, 05:20 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: Is my head Gasket BAD?

Quote:
Originally posted by svx_commuter
I think my radiator blew apart because the head gasket is leaking. Is that possible? For the head gasket to allow air/gas mixture from the cyclinder into the coolant but not coolant into the cyclinder?
Geez your having bad luck. Yes you can have combustion gas leaking, from the cylinder to the coolant and not allowing coolant to go the other way. The pressure in the cylinder is much higher than atmospheric.
If the leak in the gasket is big enough, atmospheric pressure will push the coolant back into the combustion chamber on the intake stroke.

The way to tell is to do a pressure check on the coolant, if pressure is entering the coolant it will show a rise, in the water pressure.

Seeing that you don't have a radiator to put a gauge on, with the radiator by-passed, run the engine till it's warm. Then give it a full throttle rev, don't let it rev too high, just a short rap, to allow full pressure in the cylinder and feel the water hoses to see if they expand, from internal pressure.
Take care John because if it is leaking the hose may blow off with hot water going everywhere.

If you don't feel a pressure rise in the hoses, then you don't have gasket trouble.

May the force be with you.
Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 07-17-2002, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by vkykam
You were "bypassing" the radiator after the incident, right?

See if there's any oil in the coolant now.

VK
No oil in the coolant yet but I think some water maybe starting to show in the oil.
Old 07-17-2002, 07:38 AM

Re: Weird...

Quote:
Originally posted by billisa
Having blown a gasket in a Fiat, I never knew you could blow the radiator because of this.. Also, didn't you say the coolant overflow was full? Is it possible you simply blew the radiator and don't have a gasket problem? Why do you think the head gaskets are involved at all? Was the car blowing thick white smoke out the exhaust? Then, it looks like a gasket. Interesting, I think you said the temp gauge gave no warning... Maybe you were getting adequate colling with the fluid blowing out and turned the motor off in time to save any permanent damage.
I really wsn't look out the back for white smoke so I am not sure if it was there. I have started the car a few more times on the by pass I haven't seen any smoke at all. So at least I have not destroyed any vital engine parts.
Old 07-17-2002, 07:46 AM

Re: Re: Is my head Gasket BAD?

Quote:
Originally posted by oab_au

The way to tell is to do a pressure check on the coolant, if pressure is entering the coolant it will show a rise, in the water pressure.

If you don't feel a pressure rise in the hoses, then you don't have gasket trouble.

May the force be with you.
Harvey.
I don't have the gauge to do this and doesn't the pressure build in the system when the coolant gets hot?

The by pass line I hooked up comes out of the top the engine thru some cooper pipe. Then it goes to a funnel (Gatorade Bottle) and then thru another cooper pipe to the water pump. I have been keeping the funnel full. The pipe from the engine ends below the surface of the water in the funnel. As the car runs I can see a fair amount of bubbles coming out of the pipe and rise to the surface. The water level does not go down at all even aftre running for about ten minutes.
Old 07-17-2002, 04:46 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: Re: Re: Is my head Gasket BAD?

Quote:
Originally posted by svx_commuter

I don't have the gauge to do this and doesn't the pressure build in the system when the coolant gets hot?

The by pass line I hooked up comes out of the top the engine thru some cooper pipe. Then it goes to a funnel (Gatorade Bottle) and then thru another cooper pipe to the water pump. I have been keeping the funnel full. The pipe from the engine ends below the surface of the water in the funnel. As the car runs I can see a fair amount of bubbles coming out of the pipe and rise to the surface. The water level does not go down at all even aftre running for about ten minutes.
OK John I can picture that. If you were to give it a full throttle rev, don't have to go over 3500, .Just as long as the pedal hits the floor to give full pressure in the cylinder. If it's leaking you will know it by the large amount of gas bubble that erupts out of the funnel. If it just flows more water around, It's ok.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 07-17-2002, 07:56 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Is my head Gasket BAD?

Quote:
Originally posted by oab_au

OK John I can picture that. If you were to give it a full throttle rev, don't have to go over 3500, .Just as long as the pedal hits the floor to give full pressure in the cylinder. If it's leaking you will know it by the large amount of gas bubble that erupts out of the funnel. If it just flows more water around, It's ok.

Harvey.
If I use a compressor to put air in the combustion chamber, how high of a pressure should I have? I think I may try this next to make sure it isn't leaking. Tonight I floored it once with the new radiator and all looks okay. I hope. Maybe the air bubble in the funnel were just going around and heat was expanding more air stuck in the engine so the level didn't change? Oh this makes me nuts.