Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Competition Motorsports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2009, 10:04 AM
Yeah, I'm still around

SCCA classing question, 5 speed maual SVX

I have sold my automatic transmission SVX which I campaigned in the SCCA STX class. I hope to find the time in 2009 to campaign my 5 speed SVX which inspires my question above.

From previous research I know that I cannot compete in Stock, or Street Touring classes. I somewhat recall that Steet Prepared was not an option with the swap. This leaves Street Modified (SM) if I interpret the rules correctly. Any input from you racer types?

I do not anticipate any possibility of competitive performance if SM is the class I need to race in as Detroit is home the the national champ in SM driving a 400+ HP gutted Mitsubishi Evo. I just want to run in the correct class. I've downloaded the 2009 rules for review this weekend and I'm looking at a used set of Hoosier V710 tires to help my times.
I would like to get the fiberglass hood from OT as well as the camber/caster plates from the group buy. I'll be transplanting my Recaro seats and possibly gutting (lightly) the car or at least removing the back seat. The car needs a new battery so a lightweight relocated version will take its place in the truck. If I don't get the Hoosiers I'll be running my 245/40-17 RE-01R's.

Todd

Last edited by wawazat??; 02-13-2009 at 10:07 AM.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:20 AM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX
Re: SCCA classing question, 5 speed maual SVX

Street Prepared throws a trans-swapped SVX out in 15.1.C. So, where do you go?

Straight to Street Mod... if you're allowed. Technically, your crazy custom transaxle mount could be considered a violation still, but considering that you won't be able to keep up with the top-notch SM stuff, I think the regional officers will forgive you.

Quote:
16.1.P

Any minor modification, intended to allow or facilitate any allowed modification, is permitted as long as it does not provide any intrinsic performance benefit in and of itself, does not provide a weight reduction of more than 1 lb, and is not explicitly prohibited elsewhere within these rules. This rule is intended to allow minor notching, bending, clearancing, grinding; the drilling of holes; affixing, relocating, or strengthening of brackets; removal of small parts, and similar operations performed in order to facilitate the installation of allowed parts or modifications. Minor strengthening, without relocation, of original chassis/suspension pickup points is allowed. Examples include welding washers restricting control arm mounting bolt movement, local reinforcement of control arm chassis mounts, etc. These allowances do not permit extensive modifications to a subframe or cross-member to lower an engine which would otherwise not fit in the engine compartment. Competitors are strongly cautioned to make the minimum amount of modification required to affix a given part, and to not make unduly tortured interpretations of this rule. Modifications to the firewall in order to allow for increased engine setback, and any modification that changes the location of a suspension pickup point, are explicitly forbidden. Plastic under-trays and covers below the engine compartment may be removed or modified as necessary to facilitate other legal modifications, but not added or enlarged.
Removing the back seat is SM, as well.

Last edited by LetItSnow; 02-13-2009 at 10:32 AM.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:40 AM
Yeah, I'm still around

Thanks Rob
Old 02-13-2009, 10:43 AM

Registered SVX

Naturally, I'm up against a nicely modified IROC Camaro on slicks (with a very talented driver!) in SM locally, while I can't really have a fair fight against GS's MINI S, anyway. It's kind of ridiculous, but them's the breaks.

2009 SCCA SOLO Rules: <Click!>

Last edited by LetItSnow; 02-14-2009 at 04:54 AM. Reason: Correction: The SVX starts in GS, not HS!
Old 02-13-2009, 10:47 AM
Yeah, I'm still around

I feel your pain, man. I was destroyed by modded WRXs in STX (3-4 seconds typically) though this was by the 2008 STX National Champ so I don't feel too bad.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:20 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Todd,
Come play in FP! Dave and Ben have already done the dirty work and gotten the SCCA to officially classify the SVX in FP. You can even put on that fiberglass hood you've wanting to buy and get a real driver's seat!
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 02-13-2009, 02:22 PM

Registered SVX

That's your legitimate alternative.

Truth told, it seems odd to have a street legal, comfortable car in a Prepared class...
Old 02-13-2009, 03:08 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetItSnow View Post
That's your legitimate alternative.

Truth told, it seems odd to have a street legal, comfortable car in a Prepared class...

Let me tell you about my Corbeau driving seat/5 point harness and my 3 hour drive to OT's place
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
My Locker
Old 02-13-2009, 05:49 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide View Post
Let me tell you about my Corbeau driving seat/5 point harness and my 3 hour drive to OT's place
-Bill
If you would have gone faster than 5mph UNDER the limit we might have gotten there faster Call me

Tom
Old 02-13-2009, 05:51 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

SM is even a stretch for most SVXi as many of the common modifications aren't so rule happy. FP is great as you don't have to worry about those dinoponies. You just have to run against virtually every single Porsche made.

Personally I think loosing pisses Porsche owners off more than the mullet bunch anyday.
Old 02-14-2009, 11:29 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob View Post
SM is even a stretch for most SVXi as many of the common modifications aren't so rule happy. FP is great as you don't have to worry about those dinoponies. You just have to run against virtually every single Porsche made.

Personally I think loosing pisses Porsche owners off more than the mullet bunch anyday.

Yeah, what Ben said!
-Bill

My Locker
Old 02-14-2009, 12:55 PM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie

So should I not be in SM then with my silver car???
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1995 Spec-ish Miata - track car
1957 CJ-5
Old 02-14-2009, 01:01 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicksubie View Post
Since we're all basically racing against ourselves in autoX (i.e., I'm still not convinced the SVX can truly be competitive in any class), take your pick of SM or FP. FP is, honestly, more for gutted cars with lexan windows, etc.

-Bill

My Locker
Old 02-14-2009, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicksubie View Post
Technically, you would loose any challenge (and would have to pay for the experience of having your car torn into unless you were smart enough to concede to the challenge before impound)
Old 02-14-2009, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide View Post
Since we're all basically racing against ourselves in autoX (i.e., I'm still not convinced the SVX can truly be competitive in any class), take your pick of SM or FP. FP is, honestly, more for gutted cars with lexan windows, etc.

-Bill

You're just going by your own personal driving skills Wally.

I think it can be very competitive in GS and to some extent FP (very competitive if you wanna throw the $50k into it at that level). Problem is that most course designers are ride of the month members which tend to be small manuverable cars. If you get a Dinopony course designer and a damp day there is nothiing in GS that can keep up with it.