Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 12-30-2008, 11:18 AM

Heater fan speed

Being that it has been so cold here lately I've had my heater blower on max quite a bit. I've really noticed that the blower will change speeds depending on what other electrical items are running. For example, when I have my turn signal on the fan will slow with every flash of the signal. Also, when I speed up from a stop it'll start blowing much more.

The alternator was replaced a couple years ago, and I haven't had any issues starting on -x° mornings. The heater blows fine otherwise.

So could this still be an alternator issue? Has anyone else experienced this behavior?
Old 12-30-2008, 11:28 AM
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Freeman
Registered SVX
Re: Heater fan speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxo View Post
Being that it has been so cold here lately I've had my heater blower on max quite a bit. I've really noticed that the blower will change speeds depending on what other electrical items are running. For example, when I have my turn signal on the fan will slow with every flash of the signal. Also, when I speed up from a stop it'll start blowing much more.

The alternator was replaced a couple years ago, and I haven't had any issues starting on -x° mornings. The heater blows fine otherwise.

So could this still be an alternator issue? Has anyone else experienced this behavior?
I've never noticed the turn signal thing, but when I slow down or speed up regulates the fan speed of my heater, I've noticed. I've got no solution and shrugged it off..
1992 Pearl White LS-L "Ruslana" #4946 - 180k on body, 95k on engine.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
†"War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left"†
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 12-30-2008, 11:36 AM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post
I've never noticed the turn signal thing, but when I slow down or speed up regulates the fan speed of my heater, I've noticed. I've got no solution and shrugged it off..
Its because when you slow down, the rpms on the motor drop reducing the output from the alternator.

If the turn signals affect it that much, It is not a good sign. Your voltage coming from the alternator is not able to keep up. What other things do you have on when it is affected(rear defrost, heated mirrors, Lights???)
Old 12-30-2008, 01:02 PM
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Freeman
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
Its because when you slow down, the rpms on the motor drop reducing the output from the alternator.

If the turn signals affect it that much, It is not a good sign. Your voltage coming from the alternator is not able to keep up. What other things do you have on when it is affected(rear defrost, heated mirrors, Lights???)
So I'm at no risk regarding this issue then?
1992 Pearl White LS-L "Ruslana" #4946 - 180k on body, 95k on engine.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
†"War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left"†
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 12-30-2008, 01:21 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post
So I'm at no risk regarding this issue then?
Not anything to worry about. You could help it by getting a high output alternator or by doing the extra wiring that some members have done(battery directly to alternator, grounding, etc). That provides a more "true" connection for less restriciton providing better electricity flow.
Old 12-30-2008, 01:23 PM

My silver's fan changes pitch in time to the blinkers when at idle, and the headlights pulse and dim as I approach a stop; been that way since I got it. The teal has never exhibited any such behavior. Guess which alternator recently died?

I've always thought these symptoms suggested a charging issue, but it hasn't been a problem with mine. Yet. I put in a new El-Cheapo battery when I bought the car 2+ years ago and it has never faltered.

dcb
Old 12-30-2008, 01:37 PM

I usually have the low beams (HID) on but other than that usually just the cd player. I use the defroster but that's usually not on when he heater is blowing strangely.
I was thinking about doing the additional alternator wiring and probably will soon. That higher output alternator would be nice but it seems kind of pricey.
Old 12-30-2008, 01:38 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
I usually have the low beams (HID) on but other than that usually just the cd player. I use the defroster but that's usually not on when he heater is blowing strangely.
I was thinking about doing the additional alternator wiring and probably will soon. That higher output alternator would be nice but it seems kind of pricey.
How many miles are on yours?
Old 12-30-2008, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
How many miles are on yours?
There's about 160k on it currently but... if I were to take an average of all the major parts there would be far less
Old 12-30-2008, 01:52 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
There's about 160k on it currently but... if I were to take an average of all the major parts there would be far less
Yeah, isn't that the case with these cars- If there is 160k on the alternator it may be starting to weaken and could fail at any time. Or it could continue to work the way it is for many years-never can tell. Just keep in mind you might be looking for a replacement at any time.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:45 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarrb View Post
My silver's fan changes pitch in time to the blinkers when at idle, and the headlights pulse and dim as I approach a stop; been that way since I got it. The teal has never exhibited any such behavior. Guess which alternator recently died?

I've always thought these symptoms suggested a charging issue, but it hasn't been a problem with mine. Yet. I put in a new El-Cheapo battery when I bought the car 2+ years ago and it has never faltered.

dcb
Mine did this also. Cleaning and in my case replacing the bolt to the body from the battery ground helped.
1997 Ebony #308 113k "The Black Diva"SOLD
1992 Black over Liquid Silver 152k SOLD
1992 Ebony 251k 444 SOLD
1999 Silver SLK230 134k SOLD
1997 Green Outback 137k SOLD
2013 Honda Accord I4 SOLD
2015 Subaru Crosstrek 30k
2018 Tesla M3 30k
Old 12-30-2008, 08:19 PM

I would connect a digital DC voltage tester to the positive and negative battery terminal and check the voltage.

Then start the engine and check the voltage adding different loads (components) and with various rpm's.

Make sure the alternator output is correct.

Keith
Old 12-30-2008, 08:25 PM

also... If you haven't oiled your fan motor, I would highly recommend doing that. Only need to remove the lower end of the motor with a Philips screwdriver. Be prepared for some icky stuff to fall out when you take the bottom of the motor off! That is about the simplest and easiest thing that we can do to our cars!

Keith