How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-20-2008, 07:47 PM

clutch and pressure plate advise

Hello folks

so i am doing a manual tranny swap on an SVX motor, but not one of a common nature for this forum, I'm putting a SVX motor into a VW vanagon syncro (AWD vanagon). I'm doing a slighlty different route than normal (normal is adapter plate using VW clutch/flywheel). Im going to be using a subaru fly wheel, pressure plate and mated to VW clutch disc.

I can probably use any 2.5L flywheel i assume

my confusion lies in what i am gonna need for pressure plate. I know for the release bearing i am using it has to be a naturally aspirated (push type) pressure plate. what are people using on the SVx motor that can handle the torque.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:42 PM

Re: clutch and pressure plate advice

i'd advise that you buy an SVX and use the engine in that or try using the search function its been discussed at length
Old 11-21-2008, 10:59 AM

Re: clutch and pressure plate advise

haha, that is a proper answer. in my defense i couldnt save the car i pulled the motor from, and since i already have the vanagon and my previous van i converted to 2.2 subi power, ive been itchin to get an SVX in one and pull the dirt bikes with me on my trips to the desert. i dont see SVX's with bad motors very often, mostly just bad auto's.

anyway, ive tried some searches for the key words i can think of, but find the NA 2.5 pressure plate may not be adequate and seems most use a WRX, but that is a pull type vs the push type i need for the slave and release i wanna use in an adapter bellhousing. vanagon weighs roughly 4000lbs (so not much different than SVX), if someone tells me a 2.5 plate would probably be ok im willing to try, but if an over whelming no--then i need to keep looking