Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 11-15-2008, 08:18 PM
Bad decisions effect everybody

Send a message via AIM to JaySVX Send a message via Yahoo to JaySVX
Bought a new daily driver today

I was using my 98 Expedition to daily drive when it came time for inspection. Well, that was entertaining. The guy found a long list of stuff he said I should fix, to the tidy sum of $2000+. I said to let me think on it. After thinking for a bit, should I keep it and fix it or not, I realized that on several occations I came up short on space in it, either for people, stuff, or both. The Expedition hauls fine, not many trailers exceed 6500 lbs, which it hauled with ease. Gas mileage wasn't the greatest either.

So, I did some research, learned volumes about other trucks in that class, and decided on an Excursion. Long story short, today I brought home a 2004 Ford Excursion with a 6.0 litre power stroke turbo diesel today. At a hair over $10k, it was quite hte bargin. Seats 7, room for more cargo, dual flip down dvd players, tow package, 6 disc cd changer, xm radio, the works. Here's some pics:

The mid row captains chairs are a fantastic option. I really like that, it's perfect for my kids. Also it allows for easy passage to the rear of the truck for the 3rd row. I have a couple ski trips planned this winter with some folks I work with, the origional plan was to cramp up in the expedtion, but now we can spread out a bit. And the truck is newer, so it should just work, and not demand finagling and such to keep going, so i can spend my finagling time with the SVX. Also, finagling is a real word. I misspelled it, but somehow the dictionary found it, so that must mean it's a real word.

Before I get attacked by tree-huggers, I got 20mpg on the 170 mile trip home from the dealer.
2004 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer, 6.0litre Power Stroke Diesel - Daily Driver.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, scotch in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA !!!!!
Old 11-15-2008, 09:03 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Bought a new daily driver today

now you just need to get a trailer for the SVX and you'll be in business!!
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 11-15-2008, 09:11 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX

You need a bigger truck.

Sorry, I say that to all the customs I see driving big things. I said it to a guy with a 1-ton Dodge (dualy, Cummins, etc...). He said he was looking into one of those mega pickups (F-650, International...)

But I guess this way you'll be pleasantly ammused when you fill up the SVX, compared to that thing.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 11-15-2008, 09:12 PM

Send a message via ICQ to ShiuludeSVX Send a message via AIM to ShiuludeSVX Send a message via Yahoo to ShiuludeSVX
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide View Post
now you just need to get a trailer for the SVX and you'll be in business!!
-Bill

Uhhh.. Your gonna need a BIGGER boat.
June '91 Claret LSL #1733, Enkei RS-5's x 16", Original Paint, accompanied by Beautifully speckeled Front Bumper, Sony Audio Components, Small Car Shift Kit, "How to" Hood Lifts {Perfect}, "15 Minute Suspension Mod"
Motorsport Floor Mats. Perma-Cool External T. Filter, New Front Axels {1/2008}. "Classic Radiators" unit "$36 coil alternative" and Tranny rebuild at 287k 8/2012

'05 Infinity G35 Coupe.
No Mods, 33K Miles
Old 11-15-2008, 10:42 PM

I've been looking for a trailer relentlessly for the past 6 months. They're few and far between, and typically overpriced. I've seen 16' go for $1200 or so, in good condition, so that's what I'm after. Most I see either need to be completely rewired, have inopperable brakes, bad tires, or don't pull strait empty, god knows what it would do with a 3800lb car on it. Still, I'm looking.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, scotch in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA !!!!!
Old 11-16-2008, 10:02 PM
Certified Porschephile

Congrats Jay.
Old 11-17-2008, 04:21 AM
Soobologist

Send a message via AIM to subeman90
Registered SVX

not too shabby. My grandpa had a diesel surburban back in the day and it was great for his activities ie: snowmobiling so you'll love that thing. I bet the kids will love the DVD players too.

Nice ride man. Where did you get it at?
Old 11-17-2008, 04:22 AM
Soobologist

Registered SVX

do you want me to keep my eyes open for a trailer around here. I see them time to time (and I'm not far from you)
Old 11-17-2008, 11:20 PM
Now with more color

Send a message via Yahoo to subi-crosser
Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySVX View Post
I was using my 98 Expedition to daily drive when it came time for inspection. Well, that was entertaining. The guy found a long list of stuff he said I should fix, to the tidy sum of $2000+. I said to let me think on it. After thinking for a bit, should I keep it and fix it or not, I realized that on several occations I came up short on space in it, either for people, stuff, or both. The Expedition hauls fine, not many trailers exceed 6500 lbs, which it hauled with ease. Gas mileage wasn't the greatest either.

So, I did some research, learned volumes about other trucks in that class, and decided on an Excursion. Long story short, today I brought home a 2004 Ford Excursion with a 6.0 litre power stroke turbo diesel today. At a hair over $10k, it was quite hte bargin. Seats 7, room for more cargo, dual flip down dvd players, tow package, 6 disc cd changer, xm radio, the works. Here's some pics:

The mid row captains chairs are a fantastic option. I really like that, it's perfect for my kids. Also it allows for easy passage to the rear of the truck for the 3rd row. I have a couple ski trips planned this winter with some folks I work with, the origional plan was to cramp up in the expedtion, but now we can spread out a bit. And the truck is newer, so it should just work, and not demand finagling and such to keep going, so i can spend my finagling time with the SVX. Also, finagling is a real word. I misspelled it, but somehow the dictionary found it, so that must mean it's a real word.

Before I get attacked by tree-huggers, I got 20mpg on the 170 mile trip home from the dealer.

JAY!! I only have leather seats in LITTLE cars!!

The trucks are kinda 'spartan' since I don't care if my shoes have mud on the way home from working,

If I had a truck that looked like that, IT would be sitting in the barn with the 91 Dodge that I am afraid to work!

"Can't go to work today. The 'voices' said to "Stay home and clean the guns".

Most famous Red-Neck last words...
" Hey Everybody, Watch This!!)

http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn272/subi-crosser/
Jerry
Old 11-19-2008, 11:16 AM

THe leather is kind of a pain, it's cold in the winter and hot in the summer, though the heated seats are nice. I have ultra heavy duty rubber floor mats in there, so I can hop in with muddy shoes no problem. I did have to go out this morning and plug in the block heater at 4:30, so I could start it at 6:30! 25F is cold, and diesel doesn't like it it seems. I'm starting to realize why more vehicles aren't diesel.

I picked it up at Frederick Ford/Mercury in Seaford, DE. A bit of a hike, but these are few and far between, so if I wanted it, I had to work for it. If you could keep your eyes open for a trailer it would be greatly appriciated, as there are NONE popping up around here. I'm looking for 14-18' with brakes and a TITLE. You'd be amazed how many people want to sell a trailer without a title!

Old 11-19-2008, 01:16 PM
Soobologist

Registered SVX

I really don't think you need a block heater this soon in the season. If it is having trouble at 25 degrees then maybe you need to cycle the glow plugs another time (click on switch and when light goes out turn it off again and restart the process) you do know about the glow plug light right? (not sure how much you know about diesels). I really am not a Ford fan but I do think it shouldn't have trouble starting at that temp.

If you find a trailer without a title it isn't too hard to get a PA "homebuilt" trailer title. My dad did it back in the day and it wasn't a big deal at all...you just have to plan on not using it the next day cause PennDot is a little slow at times

I'll keep my eyes open and PM if necessary.
Old 11-19-2008, 04:34 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySVX View Post
THe leather is kind of a pain, it's cold in the winter and hot in the summer, though the heated seats are nice.

I'm looking for 14-18' with brakes and a TITLE. You'd be amazed how many people want to sell a trailer without a title!
But Ford leather looks so nice as a faux vinyl.

You want to tow the SVX right. If that's what you're look at towing I wouldn't go less than 18' for the trailer. I think ours is around 16' and it is tough to get the load balanced right.

A lot of states don't require a title for even for 3500+ trailers. There was just one on the listed on the Yahoo group for susq scca but it looks like it was pulled (must have sold). Check out the SCCA forums in the area. I'm sure something will pop up and at least you should know it was used for towing cars not equipment.

BTW I wondered why the cost of diesel climbed last week
Old 11-20-2008, 07:01 AM

Now that the cold weather is setting in, I figured the block heater sure couldn't hurt. On a cold start, the glow plugs will prime for 20-30 seconds, start up, be a bit rough for about 10 seconds then run fine. With the block heater the glow plug light goes out in 3 seconds, it starts no problem and has no hesitation.

The oil was changed 500 miles ago, but with 15w-40, which may be a bit viscous for these temps. I plan to switch over to 5w-40 as per reccomendations from a Ford truck forum. I figure the block heater probably isn't 100% necessary, but it sure can't hurt. I have it on a timer now, so it turns on at 4am, heats up nicely for my start at 6:30am.

Diesel can be had for $2.99 in the area, or $2.84 if I get on the turnpike :P but yes it seems htat someone heard I bought a diesel and decided to jack up the prices a bit. I'm working on getting an account at a local automated fueling station, so i can run 2% Biodiesel. I'm told it acts as a cleaner and lubricant, runs better for the engine, but after 2-3 tanks I'll have to replace both fuel filters, as it will wash all the crap out. I'm amazed with the fuel economy I'm getting, especially sitting in traffic to/from work.

Trailers, it will be for my SVX, my fathers corvette, and my mother's 75 beetle, and any other vehicles I happen to pick up along the way. I am looking to try and build an off-road rally imprezza over the winter for some spring time fun, and with a trailer I wouldn't have to worry about keeping it street legal. Thanks for the input on the 18' trailer size, I wasn't sure what size to go with, other than my father pressuring me to go 14-16' saying "that's all you need".

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: