How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2008, 02:39 PM

Why still no AWD?

To make a long story short, I brought my car into a transmission shop because my svx didn't have any AWD and was throwing a #24 code indicating Duty solenoid C issues. The transmission ended up having the clutch drum sheared off so I ended up replacing that and a few other parts related to it. I replaced duty solenoid c and the clutch plates as well so it should now be mechanically sound. Just one problem remains... I still don't have any AWD! It frustrating too because I could really use my svx's awd capabilities given the weather in my area lately.

The mechanic already put 7hrs into it and I wasn't going to shell out any more money since he doesn't know what the problem could be at this point. I've checked the codes again and I'm still getting a #24 - solenoid c. I am assuming that the mechanic new a little about the svx transmission since he did have a rebuilt one available.

I'm not looking for definitive answers, just some possibilities. I've done several searches and found that I should to do a line pressure test and maybe a voltage test... anything else I'm missing here?
Old 02-14-2008, 02:54 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Let's see...
1. He didn't install the part correctly
2. He cut the part's electrical connection during installation
3. The part is defective
4. The TCU is still holding the error code and needs to be cleared
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 02-15-2008, 02:46 PM

No codes...

Ok, I cleared the codes by unplugging the battery last night then drove it around for a half hour this morning. I checked the codes again and it's not posting anything. There's clearly still no AWD and my duty solenoid c appears to be functioning correctly. I'm going to take a look at things again tonight in case I forgot a step or something but basically I'm at a loss as to what could be wrong.
Old 02-15-2008, 02:58 PM

Registered SVX
I didn't see another post from you about it, but is the FWD fuse installed?
Old 02-15-2008, 03:00 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quick troubleshooting tip. Turn the key to the on position(engine off). Put the car in gear, depress the gas pedal slowly. Listen under the car for a buzzing noise. This will tell you if the solenoid is being activated. Also check the enginebay fuse box to make sure the FWD fuse is not in. Get back to us with the results

Tom
Old 02-15-2008, 03:53 PM

Send a message via AIM to Suby Fan Send a message via MSN to Suby Fan Send a message via Yahoo to Suby Fan
Just wondering what makes you think the awd is not working? Its easy to break the front tires loose on these cars before the rear kicks in have you tryed seeing if you can break the back end loose in a snowy (empty) parking lot? That's a easy (and fun) way of determaning the condition of the awd
need work done? Have tools will travel
Old 02-18-2008, 08:53 AM

I know the fuse is not in, I've checked and I also don't have the fwd light on. I read on here before about the buzzing from duty solenoid c. I have put it in D and could hear a very faint buzzing sound but couldn't that be mistaken for a fuel pump? I didn't put it in neutral I guess it didn't shut off after 5 seconds though so maybe not.

I'm certain that there is no awd. I live in Fargo ND and the car virtually no traction, my gf has an svx with tires that are nearly bald and can leave me sitting at a stop sign so quick it's not even funny.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:09 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
couple things may be happening here.

1. No pressure to the clutches due to a loose cross over hardline

2. clutches are badly worn and non-functional

3. Clutch drum has sheered off from the output shaft.

4. The rear half of your driveshaft is missing.

you need the line pressure tested to the transfer clutches to eliminate #1 as being your problem. 2&3 involve the removal of the transfer housing to check. #4 can be visually checked by jacking up the car and looking underneath

Tom