Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2008, 01:14 PM

Trouble starting my 92 svx thats been sitting for two years.

Here is what I have done:
1. new battery
2. change oil and filter
3. change tranny fluid and filter
4. change air filter
5. change crank angle sensor

Here is what I have checked:
timing belt, spark plugs and wires (one is cracked near coil, no spark though)

You guys have tought me about the 10 pin diagnostic connector and the blue wires and near the left foot of driver behind the pannel (thanks)

i connected the blue wire into the second spot from the left on the top row which was told to me to be the (#2) spot and used to read the memory.

i followed the diagnostic directions further which was to try to start the engine and stop and count the number of times the check engine light blinks (long blink means 10, short blink means 1)

I saw 2 long blinks and 9 short blinks, (29) I then looked at the list down to number 29 and it read exactly "Crank angle sensor"

So I went to Autozone and ordered the part *Autozone calls it a crank position sensor* and when it came in I installed it and didnt start.
I rechecked the diagnostic the same way as stated before and i am getting the same reading (29)

Q: What else is good to do to this car cause its been sitting?
Q: How do I check to see of the cam is rotating?
Q: Would a blown motor cause this?
Q: Was I given misguided diagnostics code meanings? (same as the ones in how to docs link on this page)
Q: Is it possable that the new sensor was bad also? (it was given to me in a labled ziplock and the bottom of the round shiny part that goes into the engine has a slight fingernail indention. *not sure if i caused this or it was done prior to me picking it up.

-------PART TWO OF PROBLEM ONE-------------------------------
I have two leaks sence changing both tranny and oil fluids and have separate questions for each. Both leaks are happening without the motor being able to run.

1. the first leak is coming from the bottom of the seal of the plastic coverplate behind the wheels and belts, it looks like tranny fluid and the seal doesnt appear to be a fluid retaining seal.

Q: Where is the tranny fluid coming from and how do I fix it?

2. The second leak is coming from the valve cover on the passengers side and its definately oil.

Q: How hard is it to replace the valve cover gasket and will I require any special tools other than a regular socket set with the elbow addapter?

I would greatly appriciate any input or requested questions about these matters.

I am very excited about this car!!!!
Old 01-18-2008, 02:00 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Try leaving the battery disconnected over night and then try starting it the next morning (after reconnecting the battery, of course). It is possible that the ECU doesn't recognize that you've replaced the faulty sensor.
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 01-18-2008, 02:05 PM

The battery stays disconnected unless I am trying to start her up...
when both blue wires are connected to the number one and two terminals on eth diagnostic connector,
the engine light blinks the code 12....nowhere do I read that a code is given when both blues are pluged,
only that its supposed to clear the memory of old codes that have been repaired. Reguardless of the
crank angle sensor I replaced and the fact I cleared the old code and disconnected and reconnected
the battery, it still reads the same code (29).

Is it a blown engine????

Can anyone out there tell me how I can find out if my cams are rotating or not? Thanks

Last edited by ricktheseabee; 01-18-2008 at 02:56 PM. Reason: additional comments
Old 01-18-2008, 02:45 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Try clearing the ECU's memory by inserting both probes into the test connector as noted in the "how to" document and then see if you still get the 29 code.
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
My Locker
Old 01-18-2008, 03:03 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricktheseabee View Post
Can anyone out there tell me how I can find out if my cams are rotating or not? Thanks
Remove the timing belt covers and watch as someone turns the engine over.
Keep your fingers clear!
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 01-18-2008, 03:11 PM
Killer of threads

Registered SVX
What type of sparkplugs do you have on the car?

My ebony wouldn't start even after I replaced the timing belt, o2 sensors and swapped all three cam/crank sensors and the ignitor. Turned out it was just the cheap Autolite plugs I had put in it 2-3 years back. New NGK plugs are in now and it starts up with no problems at all.

Dustin

1992 Ebony LS-L w/191k miles Mods: a few and acouple more

1995 Brilliant Red L/AWD w/154k miles Mods: Stebro catback exhaust, K&N drop in filter, ECUtune ST1v5, 4.44, lots of JDM goodies

1992 Pearly LS-L w/154k miles Sold Mods: 4.11, rust

2008 DGM Legacy spec.B w/245k miles Mods: Cryotune Stage3, VF52, bushings galore, STi pink springs, Bilstein HDs

My Locker

The only man alive who drives three "Subu SVS's".......according to my insurance company
Old 01-18-2008, 03:20 PM

Talking

ok, tried to clear the memory again and still getting code 29, also removed the timing belt cover just enough to see it moving while a friend was turning the key.

Does this mean my engine is not blown, cause thats my main concern, I inherited this car recently and am crazy about it!

The sparkplugs are cheapies....I will replace those but it doesnt look like that will be a fun day. I will print directions from the How-To link above.

Last edited by ricktheseabee; 01-18-2008 at 03:22 PM. Reason: additional comments
Old 01-18-2008, 04:29 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
ok, tried to clear the memory again and still getting code 29, also removed the timing belt cover just enough to see it moving while a friend was turning the key.

Does this mean my engine is not blown, cause thats my main concern, I inherited this car recently and am crazy about it!

The sparkplugs are cheapies....I will replace those but it doesnt look like that will be a fun day. I will print directions from the How-To link above.
There is no indication that you are involved in a costly repair.

Believe the diagnosis. You either have a defective crank angle sensor or the wiring or connections to same are faulty. Without an indication as to crank angle, the ECU is up the creek without a paddle.

The suspect issue is surely Autozone. Did they supply they correct component or one which is faulty? You have mentioned suspicious mark on the element.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 01-18-2008, 04:44 PM
Collision Refinishing Tech

Registered SVX
go to a subaru dealer and get the part from them than the people at autozone
Mods:AWD conversion/4.44 swap by Budfreak, Custom red interior lights, Custom Satin black dash, Power mode switch, Cold air intake, Permecool tranny filter,Sony xplode 10" sub, Sony xplode 1000w amp, Blitz in-line driver, DDM Tuning 6000k HID's, New paint job/body work by me, 97' Grill, QC shift kit, 17'' MB Motoring rims, 15&20 min mod, front & rear urethane swaybar bushings, Custom fiberglass sub box, Custom red led a/c control unit, perrin lightweight crank pulley, Black wrinkle finish powdercoated intake manifold w/ clear hoses , 02' outback heated/power black leather seats
Soon to come:Fiberglass hood, upholster ALL suede to black leather
Past subies:

92' Pearl White/black top LS-L-SOLD
96' Legacy Outback-TOTALED
99' Legacy Outback Limited 30th anniversary edition-TOTALED
98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
99' Forester S -WRX brake upgrade, soon an 04 wrx motor swap
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 01-18-2008, 04:53 PM

Ok, I just replaced the crank angle sensor again (second time) with one that is perfect and unblemished.

then I recleared the code again and retested only to get the same CODE 29!!

ok... there are two side by side under the alternator, RIGHT?..Well...I replaced the left one (farthest from the battery) was that the correct one???

Is there a way to test the ECU prior to replacing it?
Old 01-18-2008, 05:22 PM

Ok, I just replaced the crank angle sensor again (second time) with one that is perfect and unblemished.

then I recleared the code again and retested only to get the same CODE 29!!

ok... there are two side by side under the alternator, RIGHT?..Well...I replaced the left one (farthest from the battery) was that the correct one???

Is there a way to test the ECU prior to replacing it?

I just called a Subaru dealership in WA (above Cali.) and they said that #2 sensor is the one closer to the battery...I now have hope, I will swich back and put the old back in and replace the one next to it with the new one. The dealership lady said its the same part number so it should be compatable, My heat is beating, Im on a mission and will let yall know what happens....
Old 01-18-2008, 11:07 PM

scratches on the bottom of a crank angle sensor, Bad?

Here is the update I promised....the two crank angle sensors are NOT interchangeable. They both sensors have the same diameter and length but the mounting bolt is slightly off.

On crank angle sensor (#2) there are scratches in the center of the portion that goes into the engine, does this make it bad? I also looked into the hole it goes into to see what would cause this and saw a small tab off to the left side of the hole about the same distance down the sensor seats.

Q: Is that tab suposed to be centered in the hole so that the magnet in the sensor can read it?

Where can I get a new Crank angle sensor #2?
Old 01-19-2008, 02:09 AM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Here is the update I promised....the two crank angle sensors are NOT interchangeable. They both sensors have the same diameter and length but the mounting bolt is slightly off.And the plugs are different.

On crank angle sensor (#2) there are scratches in the center of the portion that goes into the engine, does this make it bad?No. I also looked into the hole it goes into to see what would cause this and saw a small tab off to the left side of the hole about the same distance down the sensor seats.

Q: Is that tab suposed to be centered in the hole so that the magnet in the sensor can read it?The tab is one of a # of "tabs" that rotate and are part of thr crankshaft sprocket.

Where can I get a new Crank angle sensor #2?
Used, or Subaru only. (Like 1stSubaruParts.com.)

However a bad two wire temp sensor at the back of the drivers side intake manifold an throw, (or create, or induce) the same code.
Tom
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 01-19-2008, 09:43 AM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
If it's been sitting for that long, is it possible that a mouse got into the wiring harness enough to knock out the signal from the CAS??

Any evidence of critters?

Somewhere around is a pinout for the ECU that will tell you which pins come from that sensor.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:28 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Dave makes a good point, you should check out the harness to make sure it isn't the culprit. Tom's point about the temperature sensor is also a good one!
-Bill

My Locker